AMD Athalon +2800 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Athalon +2800 question

I'm not too familiar with AMD CPU's and am trying to determine if a mobo using an Athalon +2800 CPU can use an Athalon +2600 CPU or for that matter a +3000 CPU? Each of these can fit onto a Socket 754 mobo but don't know if any of these CPU's will run on other mobos

I was doing some Googling research and am more confused as to compatibility. I'm trying to revive an old Emachine that uses a +2800 CPU but to find that particular CPU hasn't been too easy. NewEgg only has a +2600 for sale and Geeks.com doesn't even show any listing for a Socket 754 CPU?

Before I plunk down the Kala and replace the entire CPU/Mobo I'd like to know if there are compatibility issues I need to know of.

Muchos Mahalo
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: AMD Athalon +2800 question

Assuming you haven't already done so, your best bet is to go to the website of your mobo manufacturer and check there. My guess would be that a 2600 should run fine in place of a 2800 on the same mobo with the same socket, but check the manufacturers website to be certain. Bottom line is any socket 754 cpu should work on a socket 754 mobo, but a bios update might be needed.

Regards, Smudge
    Last edited by Smudge; September 30, 2007, 07:16 AM. Reason: Oops, typo
    You don't need to know all the answers. No-one is smart enough to ask you all the questions

Comment

You're definitely better off going with the Athlon 64 3000+ cpu. There are versions compatible with sockets 754, 939 or AM2. AFAIK, the only 754-compatible 2600+ cpu is a Sempron, which has 4 times less L2 cache than an Athlon 64 3000+.
      "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

I ended up getting the Sempron. This isn't gonna be a media PC or anything, just a simple computer. I still have to get the CPU cooler/fan though so it's sitting on the side.

Thanks for your help
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
        X