Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

having not owned a printer for 5+ years...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having not owned a printer for 5+ years...

I made the decision that I should get one. Up until now, the family emails pdfs (kids to their teachers, me into my office) and once in a while I would email the local print shop if I needed stuff banged out on paper.

Printers sure have gotten spiffy in the last years! I remember when inkjets sucked rocks and were pretty much it for home office use. I was at a friend's house and he has an HP all/one dealie. The prints and copies were so clean, and his printer was plugged into his router, so all of his lappies printed wirelessly (ok, this is no biggie at the office, but to see it mimicked so tidily in one's home is what inspires this thread).

What kind of printer do you have at home? Why did you choose it? If you are gearing up for a new printer purchase in the near future, what features will you look for?

pax

Re: having not owned a printer for 5+ years...

I got a HP LaserJet 1020, had it for at least 2 years and I haven't changed the toner yet (but I do have an extra toner for when that event happens).

Comment

My younger sister has an HP Photosmart C3100... one of those "all-in-one dealies" hehe. She got some sort of rebate for it when she purchased it with her MacBook at the Apple Store.

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
      I made the decision that I should get one. Up until now, the family emails pdfs (kids to their teachers, me into my office) and once in a while I would email the local print shop if I needed stuff banged out on paper.
      Since the printer is in my sister's room, I send whatever document I need to print to her via IM, haha. Usually, though, I save it on my thumb drive and print it at school because I still have a huge printing balance on my ID card... and I graduate in May!
      Last edited by liberty; October 8, 2007, 10:26 PM.

Comment

I have two Epsons. A 2200 that can make large prints and another smaller one that can print on CD's.

The color of these printers are very consistent and I'm very picky about color quality.

Comment

I was shopping for a vanilla B&W Postscript laser printer -- no inkjets! -- and was annoyed at the choices at the "computer stores." What if you DON'T want to print glossy photos? Picked up a Brother HL-5250 at Office Max and it is most excellent.
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

We have a hp psc 2175 all-in-one
            printer*scanner*copier

I like it cause it's simple to use.

The pictures all come out BEAUTIFUL juss like from Kodak!

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
              We have a hp psc 2175 all-in-one
              printer*scanner*copier
              She got the more expensive one. I got a 1610 (or was it 1620? I'll have to take a look at it when I get to school), and it is my first printer since the Okidata I bought with my first paycheck after my high school graduation (it plugged right into my Commodore 64). I am very pleased with what I got for the money. The thing EATS ink, though. What I am most pleasantly surprised about is how good is the software that comes with the printer. I usually don't even bother using that stuff, except for the drivers, but the drag-and-drop printer app works amazingly well. I only tried it in a fit of desperation when Photoshop was being a particular pain.

Couldn't believe how much time I'd been wasting. The HP printer app was beautiful.

As for what I look for: I needed something compact and portable, because I knew I'd be moving it back and forth between home and school. I needed a scanner, preferably one that let me select from multiple output formats right from the printer (this one saves as TIFF, PDF, and JPG, and even gives me a couple of destination apps as choices: "PDF to Preview" or "TIFF to AppleWorks" are two choices). I didn't really need the photo-printing from memory card feature, but it's there and I'm curious about giving it a try.

Price was a huge consideration, too. It is my opinion that one should get the nicest thing one can afford when it comes to printers, since you'll (or at least, I'll) very likely grow into features you don't think you currently need. I was limited to just over a hundred bucks. For the money I spent, I'm quite pleased with what I got. Can't wait 'til I write my best-seller, though, so I can get something really sweet.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Got an Epson Stylus CX5000 - scans, copies, prints photos as well, gorgeous color; one step down from the model that faxes, too (didn't need that function.) Drinks ink like a fish, however. (Though I doubt that many fish drink ink. Should I have compared it to a squid instead?)

Comment

about a month or so ago, eric chose a sam sung ML-2510. it's a monochrome laser printer whose primary use is to print my papers/homework. 90% of the time we don't need a color printer. the fact we bought it on sale for about $120 with a $60 rebate made it very attractive.

eric already has a canon s820. among the reasons he picked it out is because it does skin tones quite well.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

At home I have a Canon Pixma IP5000, which at the time of its release in 2005 was the top-of-the line in the PIXMA series, and the only model to feature 1-picolitre (vs. 2) droplets and 9,600x2,400 resolution. I actually got a sweet deal on it, as it was on sale at CompUSA for $150 (vs. $299 reg. price), plus I had a $75 Canon rebate from the Powershot Camera I had just bought. So ended up paying just $75 for it. Sweet!

Speaking of camera, Canon's PictBridge feature works GREAT. I've made some beautiful 4x6 borderless prints (on glossy photo paper) straight out of the camera through the USB connection on the printer. You can crop the photos and select the print size right on the camera.

I buy my replacement cartridges from Costco. I also use the Kirkland brand Professional Glossy Photo Paper, which is by far the best deal in town @ $20 for 150 8-1/2"x11" sheets!, and results come out just as good as Canon's brand.

Text documents look almost as sharp as a laserjet, and photo prints are lab quality (at least through my eye). Another great product by Canon.

It's said that typical ink jet ink, if you were to calculate the retail price per fluid oz., it comes out to something $5,000 per gallon!
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Still using an old HP LaserJet. Those early models are built like tanks!

Comment

wow, HP is a name that keeps coming up.

I cruised around OfficeMax last night. Some interesting printers out there (some look like bread loaf containers, others look like rubbermaid buckets, but when I lifted the lid, there's a copy/scan glass!)

Most printers are cheaper than cell phones nowadays.

I am leaning towards a big bucket deal. For the price of a really good smartphone, those all/ones offer 2-sided printing capability and I have to confess: I have a love/hate affair with paper. I mourn the waste it creates, especially with single-sided printing limitations.

How many of you print wirelessly? Prefer 2-sided printing capability? Care about portability (or don't need it at all)?

pax

Comment

Ours is plugged directly into AirPort. Works great.
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a bucket.

sunuvagun is up and running. I am able to print wirelessly, but lose the other wireless capabilities (meaning, I need to plug that usb into my computer directly in order to scan, but this is not a big issue). Driver installation was smooth and 2-sided copying! Farking thing was expensive tho!

pax

Comment

Sweet-looking machine. I guess color wasn't an issue for you? I definitely needed color.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X