Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

having not owned a printer for 5+ years...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Konaguy
    replied
    Re: having not owned a printer for 5+ years...

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    The one in Hilo offers this service, it's up front behind the customer service counter.
    Mahalo Craig for the tip. I called up Office Max and confirmed they support my lexmark printer cartridges. It will cost 15.00 to refill the color and 14.00 for the black cartridges.

Leave a comment:

• EastCoastTropics
    replied

We love HP printers and have had HP printers since we got our first PC.

I have the HP Photosmart 3310 All-in-One....Printer/Fax/Scanner/Copier. I don't use the fax, more use of it for printing, copying and printing 4x6 photos. I also have this hooked up to a wireless router so that hubby's laptop can print out as well. I love the quality of the prints!

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    Craig, stop the presses I've been in Office Max in Hilo quite a few times.Never once I saw this refilling station you speak of. Where in the store is located ?
    Does it only refill certain Lexmark printer cartridges ? I'm curious because I have a Lexmark Z515 Printer.
    The one in Hilo offers this service, it's up front behind the customer service counter. It refills most brands. Come to think of it, I think they do refill HP but not Brother. HP's a good brand however in humid conditions (such as in Manoa on Oahu or Kurtistown on the Big Island) I've had really bad results with HP's transport system. I had a Brother in Kurtistown and it performed magnificantly in humid conditions. But the problem with Brother was Office Max's lack of ability to refill those cartridges.

The Lexmark offered flat sheet feeding from a tray, flatbed scanning, multi card reading, color LCD preview, and low cost cartridges. The refill option at Office Max was icing on the cake.

The really nice part of this printer was the footprint on the table. It doesn't have these protrusions that extend beyond itself too far. The fact that the paper feed tray and the ejection tray are accessable from the front makes it easy to load and retrieve documents. It also has a multi sheet feeder for scanning and copying.

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

Craig, stop the presses I've been in Office Max in Hilo quite a few times.Never once I saw this refilling station you speak of. Where in the store is located ?
    Does it only refill certain Lexmark printer cartridges ? I'm curious because I have a Lexmark Z515 Printer.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

As much as I hate lexmark, I bought the Lexmark X8350 at Office Max a few months ago. What sold me on it was it had everything I wanted. It's a four in one machine (print,scan, copy, fax). It had a small color lcd screen to preview jpeg images directly from the plug in multi-card reader, but the two biggest important features for me was that the paper loading tray was just that, a flat front loader.

Some printers like the Epson loads paper from a rear hopper so the paper sits vertically and with damp humid conditions, the paper can limp and fall forward over the printer itself. The Lexmark is a bottom front feed tray so the paper stays flat.

The other important feature was that Office Max had an ink cartridge refilling station right there in the store.

One important thing I look for in an inkjet printer is the cost of cartridge replacement. In the Lexmark case the cartridges were cheap enough and were refillable at Office Max whereas the HP print cartridges weren't.

As for how well a Lexmark is built, I bought the extended replacement warranty from Office Max so if it fails on me Office Max will give me a store credit to purchase anything I want there up to the purchase price of the printer. At that point I buy another Lexmark or upgrade to something better.

Normally I wouldn't touch a Lexmark with a ten foot pole, but because of the features and refilling availbility (cheaper than buying new cartridges) I opted for it. So far this printer prints beautifully and I have had no regrets as I've owned it for almost 6-months now and no glitches yet.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; March 14, 2008, 09:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pua'i Mana'o
    replied

truth be told, these responses greatly influenced my decision. I went to the store last night to scout the offerings and took about an hr doing so w/o spending a dime.

I thought about my color needs. Over the years they represent just a fraction of our print jobs. 2-sided copying was my more frequent need. Also, the comments about ink consumption compelled consideration. I also make a lot of copies, so that took priority along with the dbl-sided printing.

Then there is my budget to consider, which was under $600. This model was on sale, and like you said, "buy the most you can afford". I tried looking for a color all/one model, but the few offered were too expensive.

For now, if we need color, we can still resort to our print shop services. Maybe we might get a cheapie color printer, but I doubt it.

The bucket shall do.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Sweet-looking machine. I guess color wasn't an issue for you? I definitely needed color.

Leave a comment:

• Pua'i Mana'o
    replied

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a bucket.

sunuvagun is up and running. I am able to print wirelessly, but lose the other wireless capabilities (meaning, I need to plug that usb into my computer directly in order to scan, but this is not a big issue). Driver installation was smooth and 2-sided copying! Farking thing was expensive tho!

Leave a comment:

• buzz1941
    replied

Ours is plugged directly into AirPort. Works great.

Leave a comment:

• Pua'i Mana'o
    replied

wow, HP is a name that keeps coming up.

I cruised around OfficeMax last night. Some interesting printers out there (some look like bread loaf containers, others look like rubbermaid buckets, but when I lifted the lid, there's a copy/scan glass!)

Most printers are cheaper than cell phones nowadays.

I am leaning towards a big bucket deal. For the price of a really good smartphone, those all/ones offer 2-sided printing capability and I have to confess: I have a love/hate affair with paper. I mourn the waste it creates, especially with single-sided printing limitations.

How many of you print wirelessly? Prefer 2-sided printing capability? Care about portability (or don't need it at all)?

Leave a comment:

• Glen Miyashiro
    replied

Still using an old HP LaserJet. Those early models are built like tanks!

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

At home I have a Canon Pixma IP5000, which at the time of its release in 2005 was the top-of-the line in the PIXMA series, and the only model to feature 1-picolitre (vs. 2) droplets and 9,600x2,400 resolution. I actually got a sweet deal on it, as it was on sale at CompUSA for $150 (vs. $299 reg. price), plus I had a $75 Canon rebate from the Powershot Camera I had just bought. So ended up paying just $75 for it. Sweet!

Speaking of camera, Canon's PictBridge feature works GREAT. I've made some beautiful 4x6 borderless prints (on glossy photo paper) straight out of the camera through the USB connection on the printer. You can crop the photos and select the print size right on the camera.

I buy my replacement cartridges from Costco. I also use the Kirkland brand Professional Glossy Photo Paper, which is by far the best deal in town @ $20 for 150 8-1/2"x11" sheets!, and results come out just as good as Canon's brand.

Text documents look almost as sharp as a laserjet, and photo prints are lab quality (at least through my eye). Another great product by Canon.

It's said that typical ink jet ink, if you were to calculate the retail price per fluid oz., it comes out to something $5,000 per gallon!

Leave a comment:

• cynsaligia
    replied

about a month or so ago, eric chose a sam sung ML-2510. it's a monochrome laser printer whose primary use is to print my papers/homework. 90% of the time we don't need a color printer. the fact we bought it on sale for about $120 with a $60 rebate made it very attractive.

eric already has a canon s820. among the reasons he picked it out is because it does skin tones quite well.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Got an Epson Stylus CX5000 - scans, copies, prints photos as well, gorgeous color; one step down from the model that faxes, too (didn't need that function.) Drinks ink like a fish, however. (Though I doubt that many fish drink ink. Should I have compared it to a squid instead?)

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
    We have a hp psc 2175 all-in-one
    printer*scanner*copier
    She got the more expensive one. I got a 1610 (or was it 1620? I'll have to take a look at it when I get to school), and it is my first printer since the Okidata I bought with my first paycheck after my high school graduation (it plugged right into my Commodore 64). I am very pleased with what I got for the money. The thing EATS ink, though. What I am most pleasantly surprised about is how good is the software that comes with the printer. I usually don't even bother using that stuff, except for the drivers, but the drag-and-drop printer app works amazingly well. I only tried it in a fit of desperation when Photoshop was being a particular pain.

Couldn't believe how much time I'd been wasting. The HP printer app was beautiful.

As for what I look for: I needed something compact and portable, because I knew I'd be moving it back and forth between home and school. I needed a scanner, preferably one that let me select from multiple output formats right from the printer (this one saves as TIFF, PDF, and JPG, and even gives me a couple of destination apps as choices: "PDF to Preview" or "TIFF to AppleWorks" are two choices). I didn't really need the photo-printing from memory card feature, but it's there and I'm curious about giving it a try.

Price was a huge consideration, too. It is my opinion that one should get the nicest thing one can afford when it comes to printers, since you'll (or at least, I'll) very likely grow into features you don't think you currently need. I was limited to just over a hundred bucks. For the money I spent, I'm quite pleased with what I got. Can't wait 'til I write my best-seller, though, so I can get something really sweet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X