66 prior convictions?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 prior convictions?!

The most recent example that makes me think we do need a 3-strike law is this Breaking News item that I just found on the Advertiser's website:

Kahala jewelry theft suspect has 66 prior convictions

Charges are pending against a Waimanalo man in connection with the theft of more than $22,600 worth of jewelry from a Kahala Mall department store.
    The man, 48, was arrested for first-degree theft after a traffic stop by East Honolulu police yesterday on Kalaniana'ole Highway at 5:15 p.m. He was taken to The Queen's Medical Center for medical attention unrelated to the arrest, police said.
    According to Hawai'i Criminal Justice Data Center records, the suspect has been convicted of 66 criminal offenses between July 1981 and October 2007. He has been arrested 153 times.
    The man's most recent convictions were Oct. 8 for felony second-degree theft and misdemeanor third-degree theft. He was sentenced to one-year jail terms to run concurrently for both crimes.
    (...)
    I want to know what the hell this man is doing out on the streets! (Well, we know what he's doing. ) Obviously what I mean is why the hell he hasn't been in prison for the last two decades.
    153 arrests. 66 convictions. And he's still free?!?? Folks, the man has been convicted of crimes almost 3 times a year... each and every year... for the past gosh-darned 26 years!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our judicial system is a frickin' disaster.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: 66 prior convictions?!

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Our judicial system is a frickin' disaster.

Quoted for truth.
    Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Zovo View Post
      Quoted for truth.
      Thanks for that. And my feeling is that every law-abiding citizen of Hawaii should be screaming about that story -- letters to the editor(s), complaints to our legislators/mayor/governor, and much more.
      I want to know why the judges who keep releasing this cretin are still serving on the bench!
      I want to know why the DA's office has let this happen!
      Quit coddling the damned repeat offenders. If I was king of the world, here's the rule -- Three felony convictions, and throw away the key.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        153 arrests. 66 convictions.
        What kind of crimes? Was it minor kind like spitting on the sidewalk, littering, or shopliffting candy from a store?

Or was there any major or violent crimes in this person's background?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
          What kind of crimes? Was it minor kind like spitting on the sidewalk, littering, or shopliffting candy from a store?
          Certainly, if these were the case, it would explain why he was out and about. It makes perfect sense. Nothing is wrong with our judicial system. But perhaps we need harsher penalties, like Singapore. Some suggestions: cut off the perpetrator’s tongue if he spits on the sidewalk. Cut off his finger if he shoplifts.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            Certainly, if these were the case, it would explain why he was out and about. It makes perfect sense. Nothing is wrong with our judicial system. But perhaps we need harsher penalties, like Singapore. Some suggestions: cut off the perpetrator’s tongue if he spits on the sidewalk. Cut off his finger if he shoplifts.
            Send um to Auntie Pupule foa some mighty Whack Whacks!
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The part I can't figure out is this combination:
              The man's most recent convictions were Oct. 8 for felony second-degree theft and misdemeanor third-degree theft. He was sentenced to one-year jail terms to run concurrently for both crimes.
              --- --- ---
              The man, 48, was arrested for first-degree theft after a traffic stop by East Honolulu police yesterday on Kalaniana'ole Highway at 5:15 p.m.
              If he was convicted and sentenced to a year in jail less than two months ago, how did he end up back out on the streets?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                The part I can't figure out is this combination:If he was convicted and sentenced to a year in jail less than two months ago, how did he end up back out on the streets?
                The same way Paris Hilton served a few days or Michelle Rodriguez served a day, overcrowding of the system and a failed system to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                  The same way Paris Hilton served a few days or Michelle Rodriguez served a day, overcrowding of the system and a failed system to begin with.
                  A good guess, I suppose, but pure speculation. We would need to know more before we point the finger at either the judicial system, the prison system, or the parole board.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                    A good guess, I suppose, but pure speculation. We would need to know more before we point the finger at either the judicial system, the prison system, or the parole board.
                    Yes, just a guess at this point but somehow, I don't think I'm too far off the mark. You really think there is nothing wrong with our judicial system? I sincerely hope you never have to use this system.

Comment

I am also wondering too if any of the convictions that this person only had fines and no jail time.

Comment

regardless of what the convictions were, it's pretty evident that this man has no respect for the law of the land and he should be punished on that account alone.

Not to mention that he has no respect for the rights of other people to their property. The fact that this guy has 66 convictions under his belt is indication enough for me that he is and will continue to be a menace to society and he should be taken off the streets.

Would you want a man with nearly 70 speeding/reckless driving violations screaming past grade schools at 90 miles an hour?
                        Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                          I am also wondering too if any of the convictions that this person only had fines and no jail time.
                          The initial story LikaNui quoted said he had been sentenced to jail time, for convictions handed down Oct. 8, 2007.

Comment

True, the latest one did get him in jail. I am just wondering about the other eariler ones that this person got convicted on.

Comment

The latest one netted him two concurrent one year terms. Yet he's on the street 30 days later? Come ON!
                              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X