This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

"Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      Wow. Apparently the Ignore function isn't working?

Anyway. The Star-Bulletin had even more info today, including:
      The company said the mandatory annual dry dock, originally scheduled for May, was moved up to Wednesday through March 2 to take advantage of the off-peak travel season and to make permanent repairs related to the ship's auxiliary rudders.
      (...)
      He said the rudders, which are used to improve passenger comfort and fuel efficiency, were removed for an interim repair but that the Superferry found that without them the ride suffered.
      "So we thought we'd just move up the timetable and do permanent repairs on the rudders and maximize our passenger comfort and take care of our annual dry-dock requirement at the same time," O'Halloran said.
      So. It's a MANDATORY annual haul-out. And even though the AUXILIARY rudders were COMPLETELY REMOVED last week, the SuperFerry has continued to make its daily runs in complete safety, and WILL CONTINUE to make daily runs until the haulout next Wednesday.
      I sure don't see anything for the SuperFerry whiners to complain about. They claim the problem is an engineering flaw that endangers the lives of passengers and crew, yet in truth it's an engineering accomplishment that the ship has run just fine with the backup rudders completely removed.
      Well done, SuperFerry team!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

From the Advertiser's website today, Saturday, March 8, 2008:
        Superferry extends drydock repair time Advertiser Staff

Hawaii Superferry announced today that it is extending the amount
        of time the Alakai will be in drydock because repair work is going to take longer
        than expected.
        Based on the latest repair schedule, reservations for sailings after April
        22 are now being accepted. Updates on the sailing schedule will be issued as
        they become available.
        Passengers holding reservations for affected voyages are being notified,
        booked on a future voyage or refunded.
        Customers are encouraged to visit www.HawaiiSuperferry.com for the latest
        travel information or they may call Hawaii Superferry's reservations at
        877-HI-FERRY (877-443-3779) open daily from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Comment

According to this Breaking News story today:
          The Superferry will resume service Monday between Oahu and Maui and is taking reservations now, the company announced today.
          The company said the fares will be $39 one-way for passengers and $55 one-way for passenger vehicles through June 5. The fuel surcharge will be also waived. With fees and taxes, the total one-way cost for passengers is $43.46 each.
          (...)
          Superferry is scheduled to leave Honolulu Harbor at 6:30 a.m. daily and arrive in Kahului, Maui, at 10:15 a.m. From Kahului, the scheduled departure is 11:15 a.m. and arrival in Honolulu is 2:15 pm.

Comment

It's good to hear this service is starting up again. People coming and going to Maui will once again have another option other than the remaining airlines in which to travel. The only thing is that Superferry needs to prove is that they can be a reliable service.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              It's good to hear this service is starting up again. People coming and going to Maui will once again have another option other than the remaining airlines in which to travel. The only thing is that Superferry needs to prove is that they can be a reliable service.
              I wonder if the opposition to HSF has changed? A lot of things happened since the ship docked. Aloha's gone, parent owner of YB will most likely buy up Aloha Cargo for a near monopoly on interisland shipping (sea & air), and NCL has/will be sending two of their cruise ships packing. Molokai Ranch is closing and Molokai is part of Maui County. ATA has closed so I presume a few OGG to mainland flights are now gone.

Comment

Unfortunately the myopic people who oppose the Superferry will I think continue to do so. To them, banishment of this transportation option is the only option they want.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Unfortunately the myopic people who oppose the Superferry will I think continue to do so. To them, banishment of this transportation option is the only option they want.
                  Well, please remember that those who oppose it are not generally doing so for the transportation reasons, but over environmental concerns (though there is the inter-island anger that cropped up as well). In the minds of opponents, environmental issues trump human convenience.

With the changes that joshuatree noted, it may well turn out that HSF's timing was better than originally planned, and might boost their success.

Comment

I think it may depend on what the real source of the protest was. Was it really "the people" or was there some corporation behind it?

If it was "the people" then some of them might be thinking more about jobs. Or at least their neighbors are and we'll see some counter-pressure on them.

Then again, the whole thing has had time to cool off. The agitators may have lost their momentum. They'll have to re-fire the troops.

If it was really YB, then nothing has changed.

I donno. We'll have to see.

Comment

And that is why a lot of us refer to environmentalists as "whackos".
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

And that is why a lot of us refer to environmentalists as "whackos".
                        ...and maybe that's why a lot of them refer to a lot of you as "closed-minded." (Joking with you here, mel - I don't mean "you" individually, more the group "you." "You" know what I mean ... I think ... I hope ... now I'm confusing myself ... ... ... )

Comment

Has anyone figured out how much poop whales dump into the ocean? Has anyone seen whale dung? Maybe enviros should look into this. Is it time to thin the herds?
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Has anyone figured out how much poop whales dump into the ocean? Has anyone seen whale dung? Maybe enviros should look into this. Is it time to thin the herds?
                            And if you watch fish in a tank at home, some will even eat the poop of others - that's one weird recycling program.

So...to get back on-topic: several people have mentioned how helpful it would be if HSF were to handle more inter-island traffic, especially in light of the demise of air routes. It's been a while, so if anyone could refresh my memory --- when was HSF targeting service to Hawai`i Island, and has there been any public discussion about further expansion beyond then?

Comment

But, it's natural AND organic. It can't possibly be bad, can it?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              could refresh my memory --- when was HSF targeting service to Hawai`i Island, and
                              has there been any public discussion about further expansion beyond then?
                              I think they were going to wait until the second ferry was delivered. I'm not sure when that was or if it's still on-track with all the stuff HSF has had to go though.

Comment

Indeed. And personally, I never drink water.
                                Why?
                                Because fish pee in it.

There's a whole lot of fish peeing in the ocean. Maybe the enviros should look into that too.

Comment

Working...
                                X