This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

The Ferry is booked solid this weekend. 7500 for this past week compared to 2500 a week a month ago. Looks to me indeed there is sufficient demand for this service.

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/7923/40/

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
      Yeah, Young Brothers and the resurrected Aloha Air Cargo will have a near monopoly in moving cargo over ocean and the sky. Both are owned by the same parent firm with the funny name I can't remember now. It is good that there are some other options around like Hawaii Superferry and that these firms can find success in Hawaii's tight market.
      Meh. The Superferry have yet to compete with YB on the Moloka'i route. We could use it so we don't get day-old (or three) Love's bread in our markets (courtesy of YB).

Wake me when they finally dock at the port of my hometown, Kaunakakai.

I'm curious. Would it be feasible/profitable for them to assign two new boats as dedicated cargo service (assuming they get a total of four boats in their fleet)? Sure it's not as big as the YB barges but perhaps big enough to compete with speedy one-day freight services like Aloha Air Cargo?
      Last edited by Random; July 4, 2008, 11:19 AM.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        Speaking of which --- how recently did you get back home?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          Meh. The Superferry have yet to compete with YB on the Moloka'i route. We could use it so we don't get day-old (or three) Love's bread in our markets (courtesy of YB).

I'm curious. Would it be feasible/profitable for them to assign two new boats as dedicated cargo service (assuming they get a total of four boats in their fleet)? Sure it's not as big as the YB barges but perhaps big enough to compete with speedy one-day freight services like Aloha Air Cargo?
          I don't see an all cargo service because it would be expensive to build additional boats as strictly all cargo. The current mixed use is probably the best choice. However, that's not to say they can't schedule a red eye run to accommodate cargo delivery schedules if demands warrant it.

Given that Kauai wants to be left alone according to the supposed majority, perhaps Molokai can snag that barge sitting there pretty? It's really not hard for the current Superferry to include a quick hop from Maui so the route would be Oahu-Maui-Molokai and back.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            Given that Kauai wants to be left alone according to the supposed majority, perhaps Molokai can snag that barge sitting there pretty?
            As long as you got the anti-development, don't build new stuff on Molokai Ranch land bunch bullying the rest of the island, the chances are slim that Hawaii Superferry will start service to Molokai.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

As long as you got the anti-development, don't build new stuff on Molokai Ranch land bunch bullying the rest of the island, the chances are slim that Hawaii Superferry will start service to Molokai.
              And does Molokai even have a dock that could handle the Superferry? Isn't that one of the holdups on going over to the Big Island, the docking?
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I'm not sure about the dock, but Big Island service hinges on the firm getting a second vessel which is to arrive either late this year or early next.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I'm not sure about the dock, but Big Island service hinges on the firm getting a second vessel which is to arrive either late this year or early next.
                  I think that's almost a certainty. The contract specified two ships to be built.

Comment

When I asked former CEO John Garibaldi about the 2nd ship this past May, he said that progress on the ship at that time was about 2/3 done. So yes, another Superferry will be navigating Hawaii waters in a few months.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Re: Hawaii Super Ferry Bust!

Thread Drift from me...

Costs for an escape for two trip to Maui from Oahu.

$49 each both ways = $196
                      Car both ways = $130
                      Premium Lounge upgrade ( C'mon ya wanna!) = $75.84
                      Taxes and fees(once)= $39.72
                      Total= $441.56

We're goin' Early Aug.8th @ 6:30am and leaving Maui late(second trip) @ 8pm on Aug.10th.

Of course since I drive a moped...
                      I'm renting a car from the day before and keeping it a week to enjoy afterwards too!

Hotel's set up too!

Ahhhh a romantic getaway to Maui!!!
                      What a life, eh?!
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I'll be getting my first taste of the ferry on 8/14 for a 5 person, 4 day jaunt (with visiting Brits). We hired a 2 day time share (camping for the other nights) because [apparently] women must have their luxuries (outvoted 4 to 1).
                        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                          $49 each both ways = $196
                          Car both ways = $130
                          Premium Lounge upgrade ( C'mon ya wanna!) = $75.84
                          Taxes and fees(once)= $39.72
                          Total= $441.56
                          Hawaiian Airlines, one way, one person, prime time: $200. Second bag, $17 more.

Superferry is a killer deal! Plus TSA won't be rummaging through your baggage, and you won't have to worry about your suitcase getting sent to a place where you ain't.

Comment

Like one of the latest Superferry commercials go, you don't even need a suitcase. Just bring your clothes in your car in a laundry basket! Can't do that on a plane.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Like one of the latest Superferry commercials go, you don't even need a suitcase. Just bring your clothes in your car in a laundry basket! Can't do that on a plane.
                              Well, I don't know if you can board a car in the plane, unless it's a Hot Wheel. I'm guessing the laundry basket is too big to be declared a carry-on and too open to be declared a luggage, though I did checked in my laundry basket in a box. Das true.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                                Hawaiian Airlines, one way, one person, prime time: $200. Second bag, $17 more.
                                Whoo! Lucky thing they no fly to Molokai. *spits*

Comment

Working...
                                X