This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nearing the bottom line...

...the muck way underneath the surface is becoming clear to all.

http://www.starbulletin.com/20081220...erry_mess.html

But I believe their is still much more to the 'real' story to be unveiled.
    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; December 20, 2008, 07:43 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

Might want to think twice about bashing the ferry. YB wants the customer to bend over some more.

Comment

• I'm all for the ferry...

...I've wanted something like this for decades, for many reasons. But this admin. has done it the wrong way, the whole way, and still defends it all.
        A most important need for a ferry of this type is in case of civil disasters, where the thing can be stocked up with heavy equipment and sent straight to the problem areas, like after a hurricane, and unload bulldozers etc. and medicals straight away and relieve the residents asap. But I doubt the current example is fitted with the ramps that would be needed to accomplish the mission.

Per YB, what's new? They've had us by the clam shells for ages.

Comment

Superferry was used early this year to transport Hawaii National Guard equipment over to Maui to clean up from floods that happened there.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

When all that heavy equipment was sent to Maui to help out, I didn't hear Mayor Tavares or any of the activists utter a peep against the Super Ferry.

I also noticed that the YB rate hike didn't mention the proposed rates for shipping automobiles between the islands. That would have provided a good reference point between YB and SF as far as those costs go.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
              When all that heavy equipment was sent to Maui to help out, I didn't hear Mayor Tavares or any of the activists utter a peep against the Super Ferry.

I also noticed that the YB rate hike didn't mention the proposed rates for shipping automobiles between the islands. That would have provided a good reference point between YB and SF as far as those costs go.

On YB's website, current rate for O/W is $178-$207 for cars between 2,501-4,000 lbs to/from Honolulu. That covers the majority of cars. Just add 17.9% as YB is proposing.

It's $65 for a typical vehicle on HSF, while cheapest rate for the pax is $49 so lowest would be around $114.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                On YB's website, current rate for O/W is $178-$207 for cars between 2,501-4,000 lbs to/from Honolulu. That covers the majority of cars. Just add 17.9% as YB is proposing.

It's $65 for a typical vehicle on HSF, while cheapest rate for the pax is $49 so lowest would be around $114.
                And, of course, with the Superferry, you get to drive your car right now, as opposed to dropping it off, and figuring out how to retrieve it later. And it's not like things get stolen from your vehicle if it isn't firmly screwed down or glued in.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                  Care to elaborate on whatever point you're making?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                    Care to elaborate on whatever point you're making?
                    When Super Ferry was involved in something that was in the interest of or for the benfit of Maui, they had NO complaints! Otherwise, they'd complain about everything from alleged or potential traffic jams, stolen river rocks, invasive species, not being informed about second trips, etc. You couldn't decipher that?

Comment

So...you think the activists should be complaining when the SuperFerry does something good for Island residents (I'm not implying that the regular service isn't a good thing)? You really think that people who hold viewpoints different from yours are stupid enough to see their concerns and issues in simple terms of black or white only?

Comment

• Thank you, Leo...

...I was busy getting my protest signs ready for Santa...

Comment

The draft environmental impact statement is now available. Article from Na Wai Ola Loa on-line newsletter of the Office of Hawaiian Affairs
                          --------------------
                          The Hawai'i Superferry's potential impacts on humpback whales, cultural resources, and traffic – and its proposed corrective measures – are outlined in a newly released draft environmental impact statement for large-capacity interisland ferries.

Comments must be postmarked by Feb. 23 and sent to two addresses: Ms. Katherine Kealoha, Director, Office of Environmental Quality Control, 235 S. Beretania St., Suite 702, Honolulu, HI 96813. It should also be mailed to: Mr. Michael D. Formby, Deputy Diretor, DOT Harbors Division, 79 S. Nimitz Highway, Honolulu, HI 96813.

To download the draft EIS online, visit hawaii.gov/dot/harbors. Hard copies are available at all regional and selected public libraries and may be borrowed at the state Office of Environmental Quality Control at the address above. Paper copies are available for a reproduction fee by writing to: Belt Collins Hawai'i, 2153 N. King St., Suite 200, Honolulu, HI 96819, Attn: Ms. Lesley A. Matsumoto. Belt Collins will provide copies on CD free of charge.

Comment

Working...
                          X