X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

From this story in Pacific Business News yesterday:

Kauai chamber members support Superferry

Hawaii Superferry on Wednesday said a Kauai Chamber of Commerce survey indicates support for interisland ferry transportation.
    Nearly 80 percent of members surveyed by the chamber said they support the state Legislature's action in October that allowed the Superferry Alakai to resume service. Kauai Chamber of Commerce membership comprises 87 percent of small businesses on the Garden Isle.
    Approximately 86 percent said the Superferry would help business on Kauai, while 73 percent said they would use the Alakai when it resumes service between Honolulu and Lihue.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

A fascinating comment from a Molokai blog at this link (scroll down to the last post there):
      A point of information we found out today that out of the 17 protesters against the super ferry that were arrested on Kauai , 11 of them were from Molokai and were hired by Young Brothers just to protest the ferry.
      That was posted in mid December. First I've heard of it. Anyone else hear that anywhere? Anything in the media?
      If... IF... that story is true, that would be a major blockbuster.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        A fascinating comment from a Molokai blog at this link (scroll down to the last post there):

That was posted in mid December. First I've heard of it. Anyone else hear that anywhere? Anything in the media?

wow! nudge the dailies that way & investigated, stat! i'm very interested to find out if that's true. if it is, then a good number of us hawaii residents throughout the islands have very good reason to be angry.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Oh, YES. If true, I wonder if YB violated any laws?

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
            i'm very interested to find out if that's true. if it is, then a good number of us hawaii residents throughout the islands have very good reason to be angry.
            Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            Oh, YES. If true, I wonder if YB violated any laws?
            That's an anonymous blog comment, nearly two months old, by a guy from San Diego who owns a condo in Hawai`i. Not the most reliable source, I think you'd agree.

Still yet --- it would be nice to know if there was any follow-up on this claim, but it sounds like unsubstantiated grumbling.

Comment

More vexing than any rumors is the fact that HSF appears to be suffering from some structural defects in its rudder system, and had it not been for KITV asking about it, HSF probably would have attributed its being tied up at the dock completely to bad weather. It's either a structural defect that they need to fix quickly if Austal USA is going to win that JHSV contract from the DoD in 6 months, or the damage was sustained by colliding with a whale. Either way, it's serious, and neither the HA nor the SB has bothered to investigate it. We're talking about the safety of passengers and crew.
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

• Re: The whiner tries -- and fails -- again

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                More vexing than any rumors is the fact that HSF appears to be suffering from some structural defects in its rudder system,
                Clearly you have absolutely zero familiarity with boats and ships. These kind of things happen all the time. The marine environment is extremely harsh, and repairs are a daily part of life. No big thing. It's not like the ship was going to flip over and break in two. There was a hairline crack in a rudder housing. [/yawn]
                Try learning the difference between a rudder and a rudder housing.

and had it not been for KITV asking about it, HSF probably would have attributed its being tied up at the dock completely to bad weather.
                Nonsense. Sheer and utter nonsense. As usual.
                And what makes you think KITV was the first?

It's either a structural defect that they need to fix quickly if Austal USA is going to win that JHSV contract from the DoD in 6 months, or the damage was sustained by colliding with a whale.
                It's not a "structural defect," it was routine wear and tear. And it's already been fixed. Guess you 'missed' those little items.
                As for your guess that it hit a whale, please explain why not even any of the environmental and whale protection groups have made that claim. You're the first. As usual.

Either way, it's serious, and neither the HA nor the SB has bothered to investigate it. We're talking about the safety of passengers and crew.
                No, it is not serious. And both papers had daily coverage of the repair. There's nothing to "investigate." Hey, I saw a bus with a flat tire yesterday... where's the investigation?
                And please clarify how that minor rudder problem could possibly affect the safety of passengers and crew. Sheer and utter bullsh*t!!!!!!! Your typical scare tactics.

Comment

If it works out for my wife and I, we'll head over to Maui for a few days this summer! I'll try the SuperFerry then, since it didn't go for me and a buddy last December.

I hope so!

Oh yeah, and Likanui's right about wear and tear on boats.
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                    Likanui's right about wear and tear on boats.
                    Thanks, and I apologize to almost everyone for going ballistic last night, even though it was well deserved.
                    Also, in my haste last night I forgot to add the critically important fact that the SuperFerry is steered by movable waterjets, and the rudders are just a secondary steering system for use at very low speeds in conjunction with the waterjets. Add the SuperFerry's bow and stern thrusters to the steering equation and it's outrageously clear that Miulang's post was just more "Chicken Little/sky is falling" nonsense.
                    For decades, I've steered ships using only the trim tabs and thrusters, without ever touching the rudders.

Comment

For anybody who cares and is technically inclined, check out the technical details on the "rudder" problems of HSF. Also, check out the video (not a computer generated fake) of HSF on one of its voyages (talk about "Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride"!) that was shot by George Peabody, and which was also aired by KGMB.
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks, and I apologize to almost everyone for going ballistic last night, even though it was well deserved.
                        Also, in my haste last night I forgot to add the critically important fact that the SuperFerry is steered by movable waterjets, and the rudders are just a secondary steering system for use at very low speeds in conjunction with the waterjets. Add the SuperFerry's bow and stern thrusters to the steering equation and it's outrageously clear that Miulang's post was just more "Chicken Little/sky is falling" nonsense.
                        For decades, I've steered ships using only the trim tabs and thrusters, without ever touching the rudders.

Lika, you should try the rudders, it works.

Oops sorry Miulang you had to see that one.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          Lika, you should try the rudders, it works.
                          It does? So that's what that wheel thing is for!
                          I could tell you some funny stories, but they'll have to wait for another time or another thread. I'm about to respond to the post just before yours and rip it limb from limb.

Comment

It does? So that's what that wheel thing is for!
                            I could tell you some funny stories, but they'll have to wait for another time or another thread. I'm about to respond to the post just before yours and rip it limb from limb.
                            I swear (F*CK) there I said it...but anyway the way the two of you go at each other, you two should be married
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              For anybody who cares and is technically inclined, check out the technical details on the "rudder" problems of HSF.
                              Oh boy! Shredding this one is gonna be FUN. And so easy, too!
                              Let's start with the fact that Miulang "conveniently forgot" to mention that the link she gave was to a site created and run by one of the Kauai protesters... and that he (Juan Wilson) clearly states he knows almost nothing about boats and ships! (As I'll quote here shortly.) As someone who does care and is technically inclined, I find that link to be laughable at best, pitiful at worst, and useless in general.
                              Let's look at some quotes from Miulang's link.
                              The link starts with a photograph of some rudders... and a caption that says "image above: not the Superferry stern. Rudder post sleeve alignment on another ship." Well, yeah. And so a photo of a totally different ship is helpful... how? Sheesh.
                              When I stopped laughing, I unfathomably (pun intended) kept reading.
                              The item begins with "I just got a phone call from Tim Rysdale, of Wailua. He was one of those arrested back in August in the aftermath of the Superferry's attempt to land on Kauai." Okay. Clearly ol' Tim is not an impartial source of information.
                              "As I understood Tim's description, these rudders are hydraulically rotated through sleeved posts that enter the ship through the aluminum hull. Stress on the posts created cracks that allowed some water to enter the ferry's hull." Clearly Tim and Juan and Miulang don't know anything at all about boats and they don't understand what packing glands and stuffing boxes are. To keep it simple, let's just remember that rudder posts (and engine shafts) go through holes in the bottom of ships. These holes are (gasp) UNDERWATER. Therefore all boats have packing glands and stuffing boxes to keep out most of the water. MOST of the water. They are designed to drip. That's why God (or was it Noah?) made bilge pumps and the float switches that activate them automatically and pump those drips back overboard, through fittings called "through-hulls" that are above the waterline. This is what keeps shafts and rudder posts lubricated. That's the simplified version of a highly complex issue.
                              Anyway. More from Juan:
                              "With my limited knowledge of ship design, and structural metals, I would maintain that this represents an engineering flaw that has resulted in at least a minor structural failing of the hull." See? There's that quote I mentioned before, where Juan admits he doesn't know anything about his topic. Brilliant. Sheesh. Yet he has the bawls to call it an "engineering flaw"? Get outta here! And he calls it a "structural failing of the hull"? It has zero to do with a hull failure!
                              Next is another photograph. The caption says "image above: Close up of rudder post entering hull of ship. Again, not the Superfrerry." Well, then what the hell is the point? I will say, though, that I give Juan credit for being honest about saying that all these photos have nothing to do with the SuperFerry. But oops, he loses those honesty points (and more) for including the irrelevant photos in the first place.
                              Juan then provides 14 seconds of video footage "of the Superferry Alakai leaving Kahului Harbor on its last run to Ohau a week ago, before the "rudder" damage was detected." Uh, yeah. That video was taken at the height of the giant waves that closed Kahului Harbor, and it was taken at the single roughest part of the harbor entrance. A useless waste of 14 seconds. It proves nothing. Further, there is no way of knowing whether that is what caused the hairline cracks in the rudder housing or not; they could well have been there for weeks or even months.
                              (And by the way, Juan, it's "O`ahu" and not "Ohau.")
                              Next up is another photo, and once again it's a different ship. And a different type of ship, at that.
                              "Speculation: The surface cracks that were reported might be on the stern transom (the flat termination to the stern, above the water line) that the interceptors are mounted to. If this were the case it indeed would be a disastrous structural failure of the Superferry's aluminum hull design." Ah yes. Speculation. No wonder Miulang liked the link. And by the way, "stern transom" is from the Department Of Redundancy Department. There is no thing as a bow transom, nor any such thing as a side transom. It's always, you know, at the stern. Just another sign that these folks know nothing. (And transoms include the stern area below the waterline, Juan.)
                              They go on to discuss motion control systems, and are honest enough to admit that what they're discussing is not at all what the SuperFerry has... even though it's in a link slamming the SuperFerry. If there was a point there, then... no, never mind. There simply was no point there.
                              "It seems likely that similar interceptors are used by the Superferry. The interceptors are fairly, simple devices. I guess is that the Superferry them mounted near the output of the 4 water jets. To turn the vessel the Interceptors on one side are lowered a short distance into the water which increases the drag on that side of the vessel - so it turns toward the other side." Pure speculation from rank amateurs, again. And those "interceptors" are exactly what I discussed before -- TRIM TABS. They are what put the boat up on plane, reducing drag and increasing fuel efficiency. And they can be used to steer the boat, if needed.
                              "But "interceptors" are not the same as rudders. Does the Superferrv also have more conventional rudders?" Again, we see that these folks simply don't have the first clue of what they're talking about. All this bitching, and they don't even know if the ferry HAS rudders!!! I'm laughing my a** off here!
                              "When Superferry officials refer to rudder damage, does this really mean damage to the interceptors?" No, grasshopper, it does not.
                              "And when they stated that "the rudders serve to make only slight course adjustments" were they dead wrong or just trying to minimize a serious problem?" No, the were dead RIGHT.
                              "Does HSF know the difference between a "rudder" and an "interceptor"?" Well, let's see. They're spending almost $200 MILLION for two ships, so maybe... just maybe... they know the difference? Jesu Christo.
                              The link goes on with more photos of ships totally unlike the SuperFerry.
                              Juan writes at one point "I seem to remember a photo of the Superferry catamaran bows showing a T-Foil on each. However, I have not been able to locate that image." No reply needed to that one.
                              Then he goes on to ask if the water jets are the same as rudders. Hell no they're not.
                              And that's more than enough. Miulang's link proved itself to be a load of nonsense written by someone who hasn't the slightest inkling of what they're seeing or saying.
                              And remember, folks, that Miulang wanted us to see the "technical details" at that link! That is freaking HILARIOUS!
                              Thanks for sharing that with us, Miulang.

Comment

Breaking news:
                                Hawaii Superferry will suspend service for at least two weeks starting Feb. 13 as it repairs its rudders.
                                The Superferry has been plagued by cancellations in the past two months, mostly due to bad weather or problems with the Maui harbor.
                                The company said today it would put the ship in dry dock for "approximately two weeks" for repairs related to the vessel's auxiliary rudders.
                                The company said it was "taking advantage of the off-peak travel season" to make the repairs. It said the repairs to the rudders will enhance passenger comfort.
                                "Voyages have been canceled during this period, with service expected to resume March 3," the company said.
                                Passengers with reservations for the two weeks will get a refund or a ticket for a later date.
                                "We appreciate the patience and understanding of our passengers while our vessel is out of service," said Lani Olds, a spokeswoman for the Hawaii Superferry.

Comment

Working...
                                X