This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

Service to the Big Island is scheduled for 2009, via Kawaihae. There are already rumblings by some protesters about that.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
      Service to the Big Island is scheduled for 2009, via Kawaihae. There are already rumblings by some protesters about that.
      This is why it needs to come to Hilo.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        This is why it needs to come to Hilo.
        On one hand, the infrastructure in place to support HSF to Hilo. But it is my understanding, that HSF has deemed going to Kawaihae more feasible versus Hilo. For starters, they don't want to traverse the rough channel between Maui and the Big Island, and a trip between Oahu and Hilo would take something like 4 hours to accomplish. On top of that, I'm sure fuel costs come into play here.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

It's okay with me if they don't go to Hilo - I'll just drive over from Kawaihae. It's also a good jumping-off point to Kona.

My friend bought a car in Honolulu, but Young Brothers had no opening to ship his car to Hilo for two weeks. Kawaihae had an available slot in three days. He and his secretary took the afternoon off and she drove him to Kawaihae to pick up the car.

Comment

I certainly would prefer the HSF to dock at Kawaihae versus Hilo. But again Kawaihae is much closer for me than Hilo . As far as I understand they are planning on using one of the existing piers at Kawaihae for the HSF to use until the new pier is ready to go (Which may be awhile).
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              ATA has closed so I presume a few OGG to mainland flights are now gone.
              The answer in one word is NO. Alaska Air will be picking up some of the passengers that ATA ferried to Maui beginning in July with direct daily flights from Seattle and Anchorage (seasonally) to OGG (they already have direct daily flights to Lihue and Honolulu).

The opposition still exists on Maui, but everybody is laying low and watching the weather and the Barf O Meter prognostications (plus there's another couple of lawsuits in the works--one on Maui and one on Kauai). Interesting the difference in the coverage of the trip on Monday between the Maui paper and the Honolulu ones, too, with the Maui News highlighting the low rider counts and 1/3 of the people aboard becoming seasick, while the HA and to a lesser extent, the SB, decided to focus on the positive experiences of a few passengers.
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Is the ferry gonna make it now that the season is upon us that supposedly will allow them to sail without leaving folks stranded for several days in a row? Will people flock to the thing, yet? why didn't the airline problems give the thing more than a hundred or so passengers?
                Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                  The answer in one word is NO. Alaska Air will be picking up some of the passengers that ATA ferried to Maui beginning in July with direct daily flights from Seattle and Anchorage (seasonally) to OGG (they already have direct daily flights to Lihue and Honolulu).
                  Were ATA's flights also "seasonal" or were they year-round? The answer to that could change the one-word answer.

Interesting the difference in the coverage of the trip on Monday between the Maui paper and the Honolulu ones, too, with the Maui News highlighting the low rider counts
                  Well sure they did. But they conveniently forgot to include the fact that SuperFerry wasn't scheduled to return until April 23, and instead started two weeks earlier and with only a couple of days' notice. Pretty darned hard impossible to sell out the entire ship with only a couple of days notice.
                  The Maui News has clearly unreasonable expectations. The FACT is that the turnout of ridership was rather impressive, given the extremely short notice.
                  Of course, one would have to be unbiased to admit that fact. Maui News doesn't qualify as unbiased.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                    why didn't the airline problems give the thing more than a hundred or so passengers?
                    See my answer in the post above. It's very obvious, when you think about it.

Comment

I haven't seen any advertising regarding the Superferry's return except for what was mentioned in the news media and on their website.

As for seasickness, it occurs on all ships. I talked to some passengers who sailed from Japan to Honolulu aboard the QE2 last month, and they mentioned getting motion sickness after that big ship ran into some large squalls along the way to Hawaii. Seasickness is just a fact of ocean going travel and is to be expected for some people and on some trips.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                        As for seasickness, it occurs on all ships.
                        When I was 16, I took a cruse from CA to HI. First day out from the coast I discovered what "dry heaves" was. I don't remember the rocking was that bad. I think it was more the vibration. I was fine the rest of the trip.

Comment

Low ridership or not, acknowledgment that the ferry is carving out a niche market is good.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                            I haven't seen any advertising regarding the Superferry's return except for what was mentioned in the news media and on their website.

As for seasickness, it occurs on all ships. I talked to some passengers who sailed from Japan to Honolulu aboard the QE2 last month, and they mentioned getting motion sickness after that big ship ran into some large squalls along the way to Hawaii. Seasickness is just a fact of ocean going travel and is to be expected for some people and on some trips.
                            Heck people get sick in an airplane! One of the good things about the HSF that I haven't seen mentioned is the fact that there are a few people that simply have a fear of flying. My wife's co-worker couldn't handle flying and quit her job because she couldn't take a mandatory flight to Las Vegas for a conference. And the company was going to pay for all of her travel and per diem expenses!

When I worked for the Gas Company, I had to ship our calibration gear to each island via air cargo (YB's handling of the equipment simply destroyed much of our test gear). Then I'd have to fly to that particular island and beg each island's office for a truck to transport the equipment to each location to test at.

With the HSF, I could simply load the equipment onto my company owned Chevy Silverado and drive it to each island and not worry about transportation.

HSF really makes sense, especially for commercial operations. Less vehicles needed for each island.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

From this Breaking News item:

Hawaii Superferry says it will add a second voyage four days a week between O'ahu and Maui.
                              The afternoon voyages start May 9. They are scheduled to leave Honolulu at 3:30 p.m. and arrive in Kahului at 7 p.m.
                              The return voyages are scheduled to leave Kahului at 8 p.m. and arrive in Honolulu at 11 p.m.
                              The afternoon voyages will operate on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
                              The current one-way fare for passengers is $39 and $55 for passenger vehicles for travel through June 5.
                              "An afternoon voyage will benefit our customers who want the convenience of traveling later in the day," said John Garibaldi, president and CEO of Hawaii Superferry. "This second round-trip voyage will also greatly benefit our commercial customers, offering them the opportunity to return the same day as well as enhancing flexibility in reaching their markets."
                              The morning voyage will continue its daily summer schedule of departing Honolulu at 6:30 a.m.; arriving in Kahului at 9:30 a.m.; departing Kahului at 11 a.m. and arriving in Honolulu at 2 p.m.
                              (...)
                              Yippee!!!

Comment

Didn't the Hawaii Superferry have to roll back a second Maui trip a few months ago after they again jumped the gun in terms of making arrangements with Maui officials? I hope this latest announcement comes after they got all their ducks in a row.

The return trip from Maui is interesting. Late afternoon departure, 11 p.m. arrival in Honolulu. Imagine seeing the sunset at sea, and the lights of Waikiki late into the evening. It has the makings of a romantic dinner cruise. Maybe they can capitalize on that, using the upgraded forward cabin? Add some live music and an upgraded menu, and I think you've got something here.

Comment

Working...
                                X