This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

Exactly! if the food is upgraded a bit I would think that people will have parties on the thing. That's what I have imagined for them all along. I haven't been on the thing yet but I tell ya, when I see folks relaxed on the thing on television they do look really comfortable, and then the view.....ahhh.
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
      Didn't the Hawaii Superferry have to roll back a second Maui trip a few months ago after they again jumped the gun in terms of making arrangements with Maui officials? I hope this latest announcement comes after they got all their ducks in a row.
      It appears HSF has learned and done their homework this time.

O'Halloran said the company has talked with Maui Mayor Charmaine Tavares, who criticized Superferry officials in January for attempting to start a second trip without consulting the county. That service was postponed from its scheduled start of Jan. 16.

"The Superferry's addition of four additional weekly trips to Maui comes in the wake of new developments in the travel industry and the void left by Aloha Airlines," Tavares said in a statement.

I suspect HSF has revised their business plans from their experiences and with the recent developments in the state, 2/3 less NCL cruises, no more Aloha, possible no more Aloha Air Cargo. I suspect they will focus on the Oahu-Maui route and maybe should even increase the frequency to 3 trips, a red eye, for primarily business needs if the load factors justify it. When the second boat arrives, it will then be Oahu-Hawaii, though I wonder on that route, can they do a Oahu-Maui-Hawaii down the road if they ever expand beyond two boats.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        11 p.m. arrival in Honolulu. Imagine seeing the sunset at sea, and the lights of Waikiki late into the evening.
        You kind of get the opposite effect going out on the early morning trip from Honolulu. When I went in December the lights along the city were mostly still on as the dawn sky was breaking. The sunrise was good, however I did not get any photos since we at that time were sitting in the back and 2 of the 4 people in our group were beginning to get seasick (not me, I was good to go both ways). I had brought some crackers along for the trip and it kind of sort of helped one of the girls.

On another note, it has been a little over 2 weeks now, and Superferry has sailed to and from Maui and Oahu daily with no problems. Hopefully they can prove their reliability and pick up more passengers as well as hone in more on the cargo segment.

I have to agree that 2 trips to and from Maui in a single day will expand their cargo capabilities and allow businesses to make single day trips without having to stay overnight.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Some interesting SuperFerry developments today, with a new CEO and increased ridership:
          Retired Navy Adm. Thomas Fargo, newly named president and chief executive officer of Hawaii Superferry, yesterday said the company will continue to focus on providing regular, reliable service to the state's residents, visitors and businesses.
          The former head of the U.S. Pacific Command is assuming the helm of the interisland ferry service as it recovers from a shaky start marred by a lengthy legal battle, protests, rough seas, and problems with its $85 million catamaran and docking facilities.
          Fargo, 59, will take over on Monday from John Garibaldi, who will remain with the company as vice chairman and a member of the board of directors. Company officials would not comment on the reason for the leadership change, but said Fargo is joining the $250 million enterprise at a time when passenger and vehicles loads on the Honolulu-to-Maui sailings are growing.
          The move also follows action by chief investor J.F. Lehman & Co. to make a "substantial increase'' in Superferry's capital base that "will definitely get us through this startup period and the delivery of our second vessel" next year, said Tig Krekel, vice chairman of the investment firm.
          (...)
          Fargo's appointment likely will fuel longstanding speculation, sparked by Lehman's involvement in the company, that the high-speed, aluminum-hull catamaran's true intended purpose is as a transport for the 19-ton, eight-wheeled armored vehicles attached to the Army's rapid-response Stryker brigade on O'ahu and the Big Island.
          "I'm a Navy guy," Fargo chuckled when asked about possible Stryker duty.
          He said civilian customers must be able to rely on a regular daily schedule, and that cannot happen if the 350-foot Alakai is taken out of service for military charters.
          "The success of this company will be built on its commercial operations and moving passengers and commercial freight between the islands. The ferry is for the residents and visitors and businesses of Hawai'i," said Fargo, who has sailed on the Alakai three times so far.
          Garibaldi added that the military is welcome to book space on regularly scheduled voyages just like any other customer.
          The Alakai is capable of carrying 866 people and 282 cars.
          Superferry officials had projected a daily one-way passenger load of 400, but in the days leading up to the start of drydock repairs in February, the average load was 115 people and 40 cars from Honolulu to Maui, and 87 people and 39 cars on the return leg.
          Yesterday, the vessel transported approximately 350 passengers and 100 vehicles from Honolulu to Maui, company officials said, and about 250 people and 70 cars on the return trip.

Garibaldi said business interest in using the ferry has accelerated due to uncertainty over the fate of Aloha Airlines' cargo operations. Among the Superferry's commercial customers are Love's Bakery, which will start regular shipments to Maui on Monday, he said.
          (...)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Greetings from the superferry. We are onboard with the girls in Kahalui Harbor. We are just doing the round trip. I almost cried getting on in Honolulu, thinking about the jobs and the service and how fragile its existence is. I really like it. The crew is very hospitable and the food prices aren't outrageous. Kid 1 has no sea legs so we've had to take turns taking her to the back deck for fresh air. We are now leaving the harbor.
            We parked in the muni lot beneath the FFF bldg, which is free on Saturdays and we took a cab $10 from there.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

From today's article in the Advertiser:

On the first weekend of his tenure, Fargo said, Superferry had 2,000 passengers on its Friday, Saturday and Sunday O'ahu-Maui trips, roughly double the previous weekend's count.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                From today's article in the Advertiser:

Too bad they didn't report the volume of business cargo. I would say that will determine if the ferry will be a profitable venture or not.

Comment

got an email from hawaii superferry by tom fargo, introducing himself as the new CEO and announcing summer fares:

With summer just around the corner, I am pleased to announce that traveling on Hawaii Superferry is even more convenient now that we’ve added a second daily voyage four days a week between Maui and O‘ahu. This is just one of the many ways we are beginning to reach our full potential as a reliable, responsible transportation option and experience for Hawai‘i’s residents, visitors, and businesses.

Reservations for afternoon voyages are now open and are eligible for our promotional $39 one-way passenger fares and $55 one-way passenger vehicle fares available now through June 5. Our summer fares of $49 one-way passenger fares and $65 one-way passenger vehicle fares start June 6 for travel through September 30, 2008.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Looks like ridership is ever increasing.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                      Looks like ridership is ever increasing.
                      We haven't had time to do it yet but a ride on the Superferry is definitely something we plan on doing.

Comment

Let's face it. Even with their recent price increase, Hawaii Superferry for now, has the lowest interisland travel fare of $49 per person each way. Cars cost extra and you certainly don't have to bring one.

The lowest priced seat on any interisland airline if you can find that elusive seat is $59.

Travelers going to and from Maui and Oahu are so lucky to have this travel option in this toughening market.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

A friend just rode the Superferry this past weekend. Brought his car from Maui to Oahu and left it here for servicing.
                          He said the experience was fantastic. In addition to a lot of families traveling he saw many commercial vehicles in the vehicle holding bays---a good sign that companies are starting to see the SF as a viable alternative to flying interisland for business.

Comment

YB raising rates by 52%. Does this make SF a bit more competitive in the sea cargo business?

Comment

Yeah, Young Brothers and the resurrected Aloha Air Cargo will have a near monopoly in moving cargo over ocean and the sky. Both are owned by the same parent firm with the funny name I can't remember now. It is good that there are some other options around like Hawaii Superferry and that these firms can find success in Hawaii's tight market.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                                Young Brothers and the resurrected Aloha Air Cargo ... Both are owned by the same parent firm with the funny name I can't remember now.
                                SaltChuk Resources, Inc. of Seattle.

Comment

Working...
                                X