Former Bishop Estate trustee busted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Former Bishop Estate trustee busted

So my comment is this....if the StLHS student is expelled and/or barred from graduation, does that mean his conduct on or off the campus can be governed by the fact that he is a student at StLHS? So when Waihee, III was arrested for DUI, and all those other people that have 'high-profile' jobs get into trouble I didn't see or hear the general public asking them to step down from their jobs???????

Sure the boys were wrong for the egging, so was Jervis for chasing them down like a maniac.....I shudder to think what he might have done had he got them to stop their SUV before he rammed them. By the way, if Jervis was considered drunk, .10 I think, did he drive home from the restaurant intoxicated as well? Does the restaurant have some responsibility toward his actions? Same scenario as when Clyde Arakawa drank and killed that young lady a few years back....John Q. Public wanted to know where he was at last, and was that establishment responsible or partly responsible or at least a contributory party to Arakawa's actions???????

Just asking

Comment

Originally posted by Ms_Aloha_Nui View Post
      So my comment is this....if the StLHS student is expelled and/or barred from graduation, does that mean his conduct on or off the campus can be governed by the fact that he is a student at StLHS?
      Of course not. I can't make my students do (or not do) anything when they're away from the school. However, if I'm running a private school (and I'm not, just to be clear), I can decide who my students are going to be. If you apply for my school and you have this on your record, it's perfectly reasonable for me to say, "I think ______ is a better choice for you." It's also reasonable for me to say, "Looks like you have made some bad choices. This is the right place for you to learn better decision-making." Either way, it's up to me because I run the school and my school has a clear purpose, mission, and target group of students. Likewise, if a student attending my school does this, it's perfectly reasonable for me to say, "I'm sorry, but this is the kind of behavior I don't want from students at my school. I think ________ is a better choice for you." There are private schools on this island that forbid their students' attending R-rated films when they are away from campus. They are not "governing" behavior off campus; they are saying, "The type of students this school is trying to educate are __________." If you demonstrate that you are not part of that group, this is the wrong school for you.

So when Waihee, III was arrested for DUI, and all those other people that have 'high-profile' jobs get into trouble I didn't see or hear the general public asking them to step down from their jobs?
      First, unless you're talking about the former governor of Hawaii, I think you mean John Waihee IV. I don't vote in OHA and have nothing invested in OHA, so I didn't say anything about Waihee. If I did have something invested, I'd have called for his resignation. It all comes down to case-by-case bases, if you ask me. Also, I don't mean to split hairs, but was Waihee IV actually arrested?

By the way, if Jervis was considered drunk, .10 I think, did he drive home from the restaurant intoxicated as well? Does the restaurant have some responsibility toward his actions?
      According to this state, yes. According to me, heck no.

Same scenario as when Clyde Arakawa drank and killed that young lady a few years back....John Q. Public wanted to know where he was at last, and was that establishment responsible or partly responsible or at least a contributory party to Arakawa's actions?
      What I want to say is that John Q. Public is an idiot, but since some people on HT might feel the same way, I'll be a little more tactful and say that Arakawa was strictly and solely responsible for his own actions. The bar that sold him the drink, while legally liable, is not responsible for his decision to get behind the wheel, no matter what the courts here say. Can YOU tell the difference in behavior between a person with a BAC of .07% and one with a BAC of .09%? I freaking can't, and I doubt anyone else can, too.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        And Part Two of the poll could be "Should Jervis be disbarred from practicing law for his involvement in the Lanikai egging incident?"
        Nah, I'd rather just yank his driver's license.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

So my comment is this....if the StLHS student is expelled and/or barred from graduation, does that mean his conduct on or off the campus can be governed by the fact that he is a student at StLHS?
          Only if said school administration decided not to mete out any punishment or given leniency.

So when Waihee, III was arrested for DUI, and all those other people that have 'high-profile' jobs get into trouble I didn't see or hear the general public asking them to step down from their jobs???????
          *raises his hand*

I'll right, I'll be the first. The son of the former governor should step down from his position at OHA.

Sure the boys were wrong for the egging, so was Jervis for chasing them down like a maniac.....I shudder to think what he might have done had he got them to stop their SUV before he rammed them.
          If you see an angry 6'3" 275 lb. guy coming at you, would you come out of the car?

I shudder to think of reliving the domestic dispute that led to the death of a poor woman some months ago. Oh, I'm sure Mr Jervis can hold his own but against 4 guys?

I'm not excusing Mr. Jervis for actually doing what I would just THINK of doing (like having those "Ally McBeal" moments). He will need to be punished. I (though not a Lanikai resident) as well as some homeowners and vehicle owners in the Lanikai neighborhood he lived in have the same angry and frustrated sentiment.

As I said in my earlier post, I would have thought/dreamt the same thing (ramming them over with one of them monster trucks at least 10 times) ... then come to my senses and let the cops earn their money.

Comment

By the way, if Jervis was considered drunk, .10 I think, did he drive home from the restaurant intoxicated as well? Does the restaurant have some responsibility toward his actions?
            Was he even at a restaurant beforehand? I hadn't heard that. All I heard was that he and his wife were relaxing on their own lanai with a glass of wine. Have you heard differently?
            And to Scriv -- you should be a school administrator. Or perhaps chair the Dept. Of Education?!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I read through this thread out of curiousity and had second thoughts about posting as I'm not there yet, but . . .

Easy enough to understand how residents could feel so much frustration over the repeated mailbox mashing and egg tossing. I imagine it's pretty hard for police to catch them in the act too. Individually these crimes are likely considered too minor to warrant much follow-up and the odds that the follow-up would turn anything up are probably not great either. But now it's at the point where something truly bad could happen. This whole thing with Mr. Jervis could've gone a million different ways that changed all their lives forever, in much bigger ways. The boys outfit could've rolled over and some freak thing could've left someone paralyzed. A little kid playing near could've been hit.

When I was in grade school, there were two spruce trees right outside the front doors of the high school. These trees were probably 20 to 25 feet tall, maybe 50 years old. On the night of graduation or homecoming that year, two of the star senior athletes climbed up and cut all the branches off both, all of them. I really can't recall how they were dealt with and I don't know what became of one, but the other one went on to become one of the most successful businessmen in the state, long standing president of the local school board, a good citizen by any standard. I'm not defending the egg tossers actions. Just a stray bit of history for perspective.

I'd be angry too, but . . . hitting them with your car? He might consider himself lucky to be charged with felony property damage. It seems like vehicular battery or aggravated assault could've been levelled. He also probably wouldn't be in this spot except for the fact that he was intoxicated. Maybe he would've just taken their license plate number. There, but for the grace of God, go I. At any rate, it seems like some kind of a wake-up call for the police.

Pretty sad story about the woman who committed suicide after the bathroom tryst. We can be pretty hard on each other sometimes.

Comment

As for criminal charges: slap Jervis with some anger management courses and DUI school. Hit the kids with criminal prop damage and similar charges.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                  Hit the kids with criminal prop damage and similar charges.
                  What kind of minimum punishment for criminal property damage?

Hope that would pave a civil lawsuit with the affected Lanikai neighborhood named plaintiff party against the teens' parents, if not the teens themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                    Maybe he would've just taken their license plate number.
                    If you’re sitting on your porch in the middle of night after having a few drinks, how visible is a license plate of a car on the street that likely sped away as soon as the rascals riding in it did their dirty deed? I’m willing to bet a dozen eggs that at least part of Jervis’ motivation for chasing the boys was to get their license plate number.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Sure the boys were wrong for the egging, so was Jervis for chasing them down like a maniac.....I shudder to think what he might have done had he got them to stop their SUV before he rammed them. By the way, if Jervis was considered drunk, .10 I think, did he drive home from the restaurant intoxicated as well? Does the restaurant have some responsibility toward his actions? Same scenario as when Clyde Arakawa drank and killed that young lady a few years back....John Q. Public wanted to know where he was at last, and was that establishment responsible or partly responsible or at least a contributory party to Arakawa's actions???????

Just asking
                      i agree with several of the other posters that it was said that GJ was at home having wine/drinks with his wife at the time of the incident.

regarding clyde arakawa: i know different people involved in this case. one of them told me that he was drinking at the bar with clyde arakawa and that he was clearly drunk at the time of the fatal accident that killed dana ambrose.

apparently, clyde arakawa had several drinks at Tropics then went to Side Street Inn and then back to Tropics. it was reported that he had around 10 or 11 beers and 1 shot of hard liquor within a 7 hour time period.

the hawai'i parole board ruled that clyde arakawa must serve at least 18 years before he becomes elegible for parole. dana ambrose's parents filed a lawsuit against the two bars stating that she died as a, "result of the defendants' negligence, actions and omissions."
                      "chaos reigns within.
                      reflect, repent and reboot.
                      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        If you’re sitting on your porch in the middle of night after having a few drinks, how visible is a license plate of a car on the street that likely sped away as soon as the rascals riding in it did their dirty deed? I’m willing to bet a dozen eggs that at least part of Jervis’ motivation for chasing the boys was to get their license plate number.
                        I wasn't suggesting that he would be able to get the license of a car going by that unexpectedly turned out to be full of young guys throwing eggs. I was only suggesting that, had he been sober, maybe rather than smashing his car into them he might have just caught up with them and took their license plate number.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          I remind everyone that the entire wording of post #1 was "Former Bishop Estate trustee Gerard Jervis got busted last night, according to the Advertiser." I quoted part of the article, then wrote "No mention about Jervis' other bit of history -- being caught in flagrante delicto in a bathroom of the Hawaii Prince Hotel with someone else's wife, who shortly thereafter committed suicide, if I recall correctly." No one has yet pointed out a single word there that justifies any of the personal attacks on me. Dozens and dozens of people have started threads on HT over the years without ever being accused of gleefulness or of ""oooo look I'm posting this before anyone else does---wooohooo what a coup".
                          What a load of crap.
                          (I was amused to see the new thread about New York's Governor. No accusations there of glee or coups, even though that thread was far more vitriolic.)
                          I feel sorry for anyone whose life is so shallow that they feel approval of anonymous posters on a message board is important to them.
                          Carry on. I'm done.
                          +1 I didn't notice any glee at all in your original post. BTW, I was gleeful when I heard about this. I really dislike people in trusted positions that betray that trust.
                          What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

okay so the school said that the kids got some form of punishment but haven't said what it is?!
                            "chaos reigns within.
                            reflect, repent and reboot.
                            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

In the news article I read this morning, the St. Louis spokesperson sounded very put upon. It irks me, though, that whenever incidents like this (or worse) happen, there are always people saying, "oh but they're good kids". Good kids don't trash other people's houses. (and for other cases, good people don't beat other people to death, don't deal drugs, don't break into other peoples' houses and rob them, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                                okay so the school said that the kids got some form of punishment but haven't said what it is?!
                                Confidentiality laws probably prevent the school from releasing that kind of info. Chances are fair that many members of the school community, including the school's own faculty, may never officially be told what the disciplinary action is. Blame our litigious society.
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X