Former Bishop Estate trustee busted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Bishop Estate trustee busted

Former Bishop Estate trustee Gerard Jervis got busted last night, according to the Advertiser.
    Former Bishop Estate trustee Gerard Jervis was arrested in the Lanikai area of Kailua late Friday night after he allegedly used his car to deliberately smash into the back end of a car carrying four 17-year-old boys.
    According to a police description of the incident, the four boys were riding in a car through Lanikai "throwing eggs at random targets."
    "One of the eggs landed in the suspect's yard and the suspect got got into his vehicle and began chasing the (boys') vehicle," according to the police narrative.
    "During the chase, the suspect intentionally rear-ended the (boys') vehicle causing it to collide into the cable of an electrical pole which propelled the front of the (boys') vehicle into the air risking the lives of the (boys)," the narrative said.
    It did not identify him by name, but a police arrest log showed that Jervis was arrested at 11:45 p.m. at the intersection of Aalapapa and Kaelepulu drives in Lanikai at 11:45 p.m. on suspicion of first-degree criminal property damage, a felony, and operating a vehicle under the influence of an intoxicant, a petty misdemeanor.
    Jervis, 59, listed a home address on Onekea Drive, about five blocks from where he was arrested.
    Jervis was one of the five Bishop Estate trustees who were ousted or resigned during a scandal during the late 1990s during which the trustees were accused of mismanaging the multi-billion-dollar trust.
    Jervis was taken to the main police station on Beretania Street for booking after his arrest. He could not be reached to comment on the matter.
    The 17-year-old boy driving the other car was also arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence and two of the boys were arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor harassment in connection with the alleged egg-throwing incident.
    (...)
    No mention about Jervis' other bit of history -- being caught in flagrante delicto in a bathroom of the Hawaii Price Hotel with someone else's wife, who shortly thereafter committed suicide, if I recall correctly.

EDIT: From this April 1999 story in the Star-Bulletin:
    Bishop Estate trustee Gerard Jervis is "seriously assessing his future and is talking to a number of key people in this regard," his attorney said yesterday. "Trustee Jervis has returned to work on a limited basis," said attorney Ronald Sakamoto.
    "He is still under doctor's care, and he is not prepared to make a statement or answer any questions at this time."
    (...)
    Jervis, 50, was discharged from Castle Medical Center March 22. He took an overdose of sleeping pills on March 11, the week after an estate lawyer, Rene Ojiri Kitaoka, committed suicide.
    The day before her death, a security guard at the Hawaii Prince Hotel had found Jervis and Kitaoka in a compromising position in a hotel restroom.
    Meanwhile, Kitaoka's husband filed a Circuit Court petition yesterday asking that the Honolulu Police Department be ordered to hand over all documents connected to her suicide to determine if any lawsuit will be filed against the city.
    (...)
    An autopsy report said Rene Kitaoka, 39, died from self-inflicted carbon monoxide poisoning. She was found unresponsive in a car parked in the garage of her Kaneohe home on March 3.
    Last edited by LikaNui; March 8, 2008, 11:02 AM. Reason: Added link and quote from old story

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Bishop Estate trustee busted

How very tasteful of you to bring up that whole sad mess.

Comment

the residents of the lanikai area are really frustrated with the amount of vandalism that goes on in that neighborhood. a friend of mine witnessed some kids riding around in a truck knocking out car windows with a crowbar. there have also been lots of mail boxes being "mowed" over just for the fun of it?! i don't know how many times our neighbors' and i have had to replace our mailboxes along kainalu drive.

two wrongs don't make a right, mr. jervis.
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

We just had to replace our mailbox too, in the Enchanted Lake area, thanks to a drive-by flattening. It needed replacing but we would have preferred to do it according to our schedule, thanks.
        Quite a few others were mowed down that night. Proud soldiers of the USPS cut down in their prime.
        Mowed down, torn from their posts, etc. Gotta love these kids, eh?

Comment

Jarvis' toilet tryst is, sadly, the first thing that springs to my mind when his name is mentioned. A pity he only seems to snare headlines in bizarre circumstances.

He's likely going to be prosecuted for this strange attack, and rightfully so, but it's a good thing he lacked the impulse control that his neighbors had. If somebody had to give those kids a scare for being dumbasses, it might as well be him.

Comment

Poor thing Grandma in Mililani too! What is going on now days? Even on my street, I see all kine trouble happening. Just last nite I hear one girl screaming so I go out check what going on. Yep, time to call 911.
            We all when act up during our days, but Now, we no can handle , because off all our daily stress. Kids goin be kids, Adults well, sometimes we also goin be kids....And yes the police took the guy to jail.
            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Meh. It would be something I would think of doing (running over both kids and their negligent parents), then come to my better senses and let the cops try and earn my tax money.

I no mind kids being kids, but they should throw eggs in their own parent's home, not ours. Don't [make your kids] get me involved in rearing your kids. They may come out all hema-jang when I'm through with them.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

That's weird. I completely forgot about the bathroom incident, and never think of it when I hear Jervis's name. I do think about the whole Bishop Estate Trustees flap and how he was part of it. I think I kinda agree with w.o.r.n. on this one; there seems to be a bit too much glee in your post, Lika.

Several of my students live in Lanikai, and they are in the sixteen-to-seventeen range. I gotta say I get nervous when I hear stories like this. I might have to call one of them this weekend, just to be sure.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  there seems to be a bit too much glee in your post, Lika.
                  Exactly what "glee", Scriv? I quoted two stories from the newspapers. The only thing I wrote myself was "Former Bishop Estate trustee Gerard Jervis got busted last night, according to the Advertiser." and then "No mention about Jervis' other bit of history -- being caught in flagrante delicto in a bathroom of the Hawaii Price Hotel with someone else's wife, who shortly thereafter committed suicide, if I recall correctly." Which part of that strikes you as being gleeful?
                  Seriously. I'd like to know.

Several of my students live in Lanikai, and they are in the sixteen-to-seventeen range. I gotta say I get nervous when I hear stories like this. I might have to call one of them this weekend, just to be sure.
                  Nah, no worries. The Advertiser has updated their story to include this:
                  The four boys are Saint Louis High School football players, police said.
                  (...)
                  Jervis had a blood alcohol level of .10, police said. The legal limit is .08.

Comment

Only as much glee, I imagine, as is usually engendered by news of someone in a position of power brought down by mere mortal foibles.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      Which part of that strikes you as being gleeful?
                      For one thing how does the incident from last night relate to the affair from 1999? I for one don't think that it is related.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        For one thing how does the incident from last night relate to the affair from 1999? I for one don't think that it is related.
                        Then please explain why the Advertiser included "Jervis was one of the five Bishop Estate trustees who were ousted or resigned during a scandal during the late 1990s during which the trustees were accused of mismanaging the multi-billion-dollar trust."
                        Do you think that that is related to last night's incident?
                        Or that that's related, but the other part of the same scandal isn't?
                        If kumu hula Chinky Mahoe makes the news again, should the media not mention that he's a convicted child molester?
                        Where does one draw the line about what's "related"?
                        I take no glee in any of this.

Comment

Re: Former Bishop Estate trustee busted

KHON's story did a 'greatest hits' for Jervis. Not only did they include the toilet tryst, suicide, and overdose, but they revived their classy footage in which the cameraman walks into the hotel bathroom and zooms in on the infamous porcelain porch.

Comment

Re: Former Bishop Estate trustee busted

Not much crime, really, in gettin caught in the sheetois makin whoopie. However, if both are married, then there's the moral issue. And that is where the law in Hawaii can help out. I've heard there is a law where if your spouse messes around with another, then you can take the other to court for damages to the relationship. Forget the name of the law, but it was on the radio the other day, and some guy got $750,000. No doubt this Jervis fellow, after making bank at Bishop, is a juicy target for an angry husband. $$$$
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                              I second that thought.

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                              Only as much glee, I imagine, as is usually engendered by news of someone in a position of power brought down by mere mortal foibles.
                              Or maybe,... only as much glee as someone with either a specific axe to grind against Gerard Jervis or just revels in another person's scandalous affairs.

Funny that someone should think that a sex scandal from nine years ago should have been brought up in today's story. I mean, Jervis has been in the news for other things that are a lot more recent. Take this, for example.

http://starbulletin.com/2008/02/16/b...s/story01.html

Former lessees at the Kailuan cooperative yesterday became the first multi-family tenants in the state to be evicted at the end of their ground lease term, after a last-minute attempt to get the state's highest court to intervene failed.

Members of the Kailuan Inc., whose ground lease expired Dec. 31, could still appeal to the state's highest court; however the latest ruling prevents them from ever returning to the place that they once called home, said attorney Gerard A. Jervis, who represented members of the Kailuan Inc. pro bono.

That's right. Jervis provided his legal services for free to the half dozen or so leaseholders in the Kailuan appartment complex who were being evicted by landowner Kaneohe Ranch. Whatever side of the issue each of us might have on this particular case, Jervis did attempt to help out other people who couldn't afford to hire an attorney.

But nah! Some people don't remember/don't care about good deeds that someone does from just a month ago. "Getting it on" with somebody else's spouse in a public bathroom nine years ago trumps everything else, in their mind. Maybe it's their idea of a kinky fantasy?
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X