Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bishop Estate trustee busted

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Or maybe,... only as much glee as someone with either a specific axe to grind against Gerard Jervis or just revels in another person's scandalous affairs. Funny that someone should think that a sex scandal from nine years ago should have been brought up in today's story.
    Darn that KHON news director. What was he or she thinking?

Um. I mean, really. What was he or she thinking?

Still. Relevant or not, clearly that unrelated incident is a prominent association with Jervis' name for more than a few people.

Comment

Re: Former Bishop Estate trustee busted

Jervis made his own reputation with whatever acts he committed. He'll have to live with the consequences of his past actions, good or bad.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        Exactly what "glee", Scriv?
        Sorry if I misread it. It sounded kind of schadenfreudey to me.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
          For one thing how does the incident from last night relate to the affair from 1999? I for one don't think that it is related.
          I think it's a good example of his capacity for self-restraint. Or not.

That's right. Jervis provided his legal services for free to the half dozen or so leaseholders in the Kailuan appartment complex who were being evicted by landowner Kaneohe Ranch. Whatever side of the issue each of us might have on this particular case, Jervis did attempt to help out other people who couldn't afford to hire an attorney.
          Maybe I'm cynical & skeptical, but I have trouble seeing this as a simple pro bono. Not too many people would be willing to hire a lawyer of Jervis' dubious accomplishments & reputation, and I bet he was happy to take a high-profile case to help his image (and to save on the advertising budget). The Kailuan residents don't seem to be able to afford to pay a substantial fraction of a million for a pit-bull lawyer like Eric Seitz to go after the landowner or the state, but I bet Jarvis was deemed quite affordable.

I guess a more even-handed evaluation of Jervis' pro-bono urges would depend on how many other less-publicized pro-bono cases he's handled over the last eight years. Anybody know of any?

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          It's not as if Jervis had established a decent professional reputation (let alone shining examples of ethical behavior) during the Bishop Estate mess-- other than someone in a position of public trust who seemed to lack self-control. In a story like this think it sells a lot of newspapers it's perfectly legitimate to recall other instances where he was running amok...
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            Nah, there was nothing schadenfreudey in my comments in post #1. What happened is that I think perhaps you and a few others missed the Advertiser briefly mentioning the trustee removals in the middle of the new story, and my comment in the first post was merely curiosity that they'd mention only one part of the old story without mentioning the other, which was part of the old story.
            In any event, today's Advertiser has the new story at the top of the very front page, and it includes the potty party and its sad ending.
            The Star-Bulletin also features the story up front, and also includes the potty party and its sad ending.
            Since various broadcast media also included the old potty matter in the new story, and since post #1 clearly shows no glee and no schadenfreud, it would seem that we can put all that to rest and get back to the actual story.
            Look at the photos of the car crash in both of the links above. Pretty amazing how the boys SUV is jammed up on that cable at about a 45-degree angle. There's also a photo of the back of the boys SUV, and clearly Jervis rammed it at high speed to cause that much damage. Do you think the boys will sue Jervis?
            The alcohol factor seems overplayed to me. Legal is .08 and Jervis was only .10, just a tiny hair over the limit.
            I wasn't aware of his pro bono work for the Kailua tenant group until FM mentioned it here. Good for Jervis (assuming his intentions and motivations were pono).
            And hopefully those four kids were the only ones doing the egging and mailbox smashing recently and this will indeed put an end to the vandalism in the Kailua area.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I recall one day when the Star-Bulletin's front page consisted of the Jervis tryst/suicide bust, union leader Gary Rodrigues finally getting indicted and Sen. Milton Holt going back to jail for violating parole due to drug use ... an editor remarked, "Wow, it doesn't get any better than this!"
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                I recall one day when the Star-Bulletin's front page consisted of the Jervis tryst/suicide bust, union leader Gary Rodrigues finally getting indicted and Sen. Milton Holt going back to jail for violating parole due to drug use ... an editor remarked, "Wow, it doesn't get any better than this!"
                He/she was obviously one of those editors who approve of the "If it bleeds, it leads" school of thought.
                It all comes down to $ale$ and rating$.
                The saddest part is that the media do so because they are merely giving the people what they want. The fact that most people want that tabloid stuff is a pathetic commentary on the mindset of a majority of the public.

Comment

vandalism, egg throwing and the "mowing down" or bashing of mailboxes have been an issues over the last several years in the kailua/lanikai neighborhoods. more than likely those boys weren't the only ones committing such crimes. they just got caught by a person with no self-restraint. his track record from past and present incidents only confirms this. and, while he was handling the kailuan story PRO BONO, he should try doing things PRO PONO.

i only know that these boys weren't the same ones who "mowed" down my mailbox and two of my neighbors. it was one caucasian male in a red camaro. there were witnessess, but no license plate number was obtained. it happened in the wee morning hours.
                  Last edited by kani-lehua; March 9, 2008, 10:32 AM.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  reflect, repent and reboot.
                  order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Legal is .08 and Jervis was only .10, just a tiny hair over the limit.
                    I'd have to split that tiny hair with you here. Over the limit is over the limit; that's why there is a legal definition of "limit." He had crossed the point where, in general, judgment is usually impaired, thus it is an important element of the present story, as much (if not more so) than the sordid elements of his past behavior.

(It reminds me that we've had some interesting discussions previously here on HT, regarding whether there is a perception of some under-the-influence drivers being "coddled" by the system.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                      Maybe I'm cynical & skeptical, but I have trouble seeing this as a simple pro bono.
                      Instead of speculating, maybe it would be better to simply ask one of the Kailuan tenants what they have to say on the matter.

Not too many people would be willing to hire a lawyer of Jervis' dubious accomplishments & reputation, and I bet he was happy to take a high-profile case to help his image (and to save on the advertising budget). The Kailuan residents don't seem to be able to afford to pay a substantial fraction of a million for a pit-bull lawyer like Eric Seitz to go after the landowner or the state, but I bet Jarvis was deemed quite affordable.
                      Whatever the motive was for Jervis in doing this case, the bottom line is this. The Kailuan tenants needed legal representation from someone who was willing to do it pro bono. Jervis stepped up and contributed his legal expertise, time, and resources. While that act alone might not qualify him as a patron saint, I don't think it merits skeptical criticism either. Especially if you have no facts to back it up.

I mean, are you going to automatically be skeptical about everyone who makes charitable contributions, thinking that they're selfishly doing it for tax shelter reasons? That's certainly taking the "glass is half empty" world view to an extreme.

As far as Jervis representing the Kailuans "to save on the advertising budget," GMAB! This isn't the O.J. Simpson trial, which offered the likes of Robert Shapiro, F. Lee Bailey, and the late Johnnie Cochran daily press coverage and TV/radio soundbites.

I mean, how many HTers can honestly say they knew Jervis was representing the Kailuan tenants in their eviction case, before I brought it up in this thread? A small minority, I'm willing to bet. So much for the value of that "free advertising." Jervis would have been much better served with purchasing newspaper ads, if all he wanted to do was to publicize his legal services.

It's not as if Jervis had established a decent professional reputation (let alone shining examples of ethical behavior) during the Bishop Estate mess-- other than someone in a position of public trust who seemed to lack self-control. In a story like this think it sells a lot of newspapers it's perfectly legitimate to recall other instances where he was running amok...
                      Fine. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I mean, how many HTers can honestly say they knew Jervis was representing the Kailuan tenants in their eviction case, before I brought it up in this thread? A small minority, I'm willing to bet. So much for the value of that "free advertising." Jervis would have been much better served with purchasing newspaper ads, if all he wanted to do was to publicize his legal service.

well, i can say that i knew of his representing the "kailuans". any idea where the people have gone to? i acutally thought that building was nice looking. my concern is that the new building (s) will definitely increase property values thereby increasing property taxes. how much more can we handle? well, that's a question for out mayor.

lastly, i just wanna know why he didn't call the cops instead of going off the deep end, again?! he needs to redeem his self and regain the trust (not the bishop trust) of hawai'i's people. like i said in a previous post, "PRO PONO" instead of "PRO BONO."
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        reflect, repent and reboot.
                        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

to add another point of view:

several men in my family were talking about this situation. Their perspective, and a unified one at that, was that if they were in GJ's shoes, they would have all chased the boys, then go look for those boys' fathers, drunk or not…

arguments about self-defense ensued; (I am arguing against all of them) and I kept pointing out that you can only claim s/d if you lick them on your property, to which my father-in-law replied "then we go get em, drag em back, den call da cops!"

pax

Comment

KITV just showed interviews with many of Jervis's neighbors, and they seem to pretty much agree with Pua`i's family -- almost all the neighbors said Jervis's actions were a little extreme but not by much, based on the amount of vandalism that's been happening.
                            (And yes, they again mentioned... you know... that other old news thing.)

Comment

I sense a lot of frustration with those people whose properties have been vandalized. Especially if they have already called the police, but no arrests have been made and there's repeat incidents. Easy for anyone not in that situation to point fingers. But when you become a victim and you see the culprits getting away, you would feel rage. And you wouldn't know/care about the vandals being juvenile or adult at that moment. Vandalism is vandalism.

BTW, in my previous posts, I hope I didn't give the impression that I was condoning or defending Gerard Jervis' reckless actions from Friday night. But at the same time too, I don't think the man's entire life (including his good deeds) should be demonized as a result. It wouldn't be out of line to say that the man does have some emotional problems/anger management issues. Hopefully, Jervis gets the help that he needs.
                              Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 9, 2008, 06:16 PM.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

KITV just showed interviews with many of Jervis's neighbors, and they seem to pretty much agree with Pua`i's family -- almost all the neighbors said Jervis's actions were a little extreme but not by much, based on the amount of vandalism that's been happening.
                                (And yes, they again mentioned... you know... that other old news thing.)
                                I think about the pride of St. Louis HS; I think of the marketing effort at how they educate fine, upstanding young men to be leaders in our community. Of course, some schools have their factions of thugs who do criminal acts under the cover of darkness. Hormonally challenged? Will the school step up and make a statement regarding their actions? What will their families say, if anything?

As a home owner who lives in a neighborhood where there are several families with adolescent boys and older, I have witnessed some pretty gross stuff, like watching them grope girls in front of their houses, sell drugs, get drunk, etc. I feel like I have to be neutral and not give any indication of how disgusted I am to protect my house and my family from being hit. React, and you become a target.

I mean, really. Can St. Louis football players actually say they are from the "wrong" side of the tracks from those who live on Lanikai? It isn't cheap to go to St. Louis, right? Are we supposed to feel sorry for St. Louis football players who feel so impoverished that they have to victimize those who live Lanikai?

GJ, Esq., reacted, impulsively, and acted out in a way many who seek justice would have liked. The result? Identities of a bunch of cowards/brats joyriding in mommy's SUV with egg on their face.

We all know vigilante justice isn't the answer. I wonder if any of these boys ever thought about being a lawyer, a doctor, a captain of industry? Isn't that what St. Louis wants to see among its alums? How many St. Louis alums actually LIVE in Lanikai? One or two?
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X