Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Former Bishop Estate trustee busted

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
    Can St. Louis football players actually say they are from the "wrong" side of the tracks from those who live on Lanikai? It isn't cheap to go to St. Louis, right? Are we supposed to feel sorry for St. Louis football players who feel so impoverished that they have to victimize those who live Lanikai?
    One can't make the assumption that those St. Louis student-athletes were "privileged" and born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Because that school offers athletic scholarships, you do have boys whose families come from a lower socio-economic level. Many of them do live in public housing. They can't afford to pay the tuition, but their skills in football get them in.

Do those boys appreciate the opportunity of going to St. Louis and display school pride? I'm sure many of them do. But some of them (like those egg-throwing vandals) don't care. In fact, I know a couple of boys from Palolo Housing who got expelled from St. Louis. (One of them for fighting. Another for stealing from a teacher.) Neither of them seemed to care about a whit about throwing away a private school education.

It will be interesting to see what kind of disciplinary measures the St. Louis administration hands down. Remember, this was a school that was pretty lenient to the football players and coaches involved in a Las Vegas trip that went awry ten years ago.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Please stop the East Coast (Kailua) South Coast (St.Louis) violence!
      Gerald Jervis might be recreating his favorite movie "Animal House" when John Belushi yelled the battlecry of "Rammin' Speed."

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
        Jervis made his own reputation with whatever acts he committed. He'll have to live with the consequences of his past actions, good or bad.
        As do all who are convicted, but are you going to remind them and everyone else?

So, you don't believe in redemption?
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          He/she was obviously one of those editors who approve of the "If it bleeds, it leads" school of thought.
          It all comes down to $ale$ and rating$.
          The saddest part is that the media do so because they are merely giving the people what they want. The fact that most people want that tabloid stuff is a pathetic commentary on the mindset of a majority of the public.
          Every one of the people mentioned were community leaders in roles of responsibility. When they break the law, should that be hushed up?
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I must say that there was indeed an air of "glee" in the OP's initial post. If only an "oooo look I'm posting this before anyone else does---wooohooo what a coup" air, it was certainly there. Feigned innocence notwithstanding.
            I was really more concerned with dragging the Kitaoka aspect of the story through the mud yet again. How horrificly sad such a thing must have been for her family. How incredibly tragic that a human being believed that she had shamed herself so terribly that she felt that the only way out was to take her life.
            How tacky to bring it up again here, even if the media are doing so. To justify such poor judgment with a wink and a "hey look, the papers and even the TV NEWS are doing it"? Lame and disgusting, IMHO.
            The Kitaoka portion of the cut-and-paste could have been omitted simply out of human kindness. Some things are better left alone regardless of the momentary thrill sensationalism might bring to those who take delight in such things.
            Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; March 9, 2008, 10:53 PM. Reason: Well, it just looked funny. Not bad but somehow just not right. Thanks for asking.

Comment

I have the strange feeling that some of the conflicts and bad feelings which originated in the Dayna Ho-Henry thread from last year is being carried over into this thread. With some of the very same parties involved (myself included). Though ironically enough, some of the positions here have been reversed!

Once again, there seems to be some disagreement about whether or not certain individuals (Ho-Henry & Kitaoka) should be treated as public figures or not. And there was also conflict about whether certain matters re: these individuals were appropriate for this forum, even if it was disclosed by the press.

As Yogi Berra might say, this is like deja vu all over again.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                Instead of speculating, maybe it would be better to simply ask one of the Kailuan tenants what they have to say on the matter.
                Well, I don't personally know any of the Kailuan tenants or how to get in touch with them, and this is a discussion board, so it seemed like a good idea to bring it up for discussion to hear another HT'er say "Ah, yeah, I know one of those people..." and confirm or rebut my thoughts.

While that act alone might not qualify him as a patron saint, I don't think it merits skeptical criticism either. Especially if you have no facts to back it up.
                I'm just going by the pattern of behavior he racked up as a Bishop Estate trustee and speculating that the Kailuan representation gives him quite a bit more of an opportunity than it gave the Kailuans.

I mean, are you going to automatically be skeptical about everyone who makes charitable contributions, thinking that they're selfishly doing it for tax shelter reasons? That's certainly taking the "glass is half empty" world view to an extreme.
                Is that a strawman or are you putting words in my mouth? Not sure either way there's any benefit to be gained from discussing it.

GMAB!
                Fine. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.
                Golly. Guess I'm done with this thread.
                Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

GJ's attorney said this, according to this morning's Advertiser:

"You're allowed to commit a crime as long as that crime is not as egregious as the crime committed."

Doesn't seem quite right to me.

Comment

GJ's attorney also claims that GJ didn't hit the boys SUV until after it had already hit the pole and wire. Interesting claim.

And to FM -- there's quite a difference between the GJ thread and the Ho thread. In GJ's case, the old matter was clearly factual and public knowledge and well reported. In the Ho case, the overdose post here was still at the rumor stage, before the medical exmainer issued a report. The point in the GJ thread case is obviously that the facts were already in, while the point in the Ho thread was to wait until the facts were in.
                    Apples and oranges.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

A friend of my daughter saw the incident and said everyone seemed out of control.

Lika and others are right about the separation between the Ho incident and this one. Ho was a private citizen who committed a private act, whilst Jervis is a fellow who once had a position of public trust and failed spectacularly, and then is involved in an incident on a public road that might have endangered others.
                      Last edited by buzz1941; March 10, 2008, 09:02 AM.
                      Burl Burlingame
                      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                        I must say that there was indeed an air of "glee" in the OP's initial post. If only an "oooo look I'm posting this before anyone else does---wooohooo what a coup" air, it was certainly there. Feigned innocence notwithstanding.
                        In terms of breaking news of being the first to post a news item to a message board, of course that's a small thrill most of us enjoy.

But I think you and scrivener are reading a whole lot more intent and motivation into bringing it up here than there actually is. Is the story newsworthy? Yes, it led the evening news and made the front page of the dailies. Is the incident at the Hawaii Prince Hotel relevant? Most news outlets have made reference to it, and I confessed to thinking of it before any pro bono work or other notable actions or accomplishments by Jervis.

If you disagree that the Lanikai incident was newsworthy, or that the Kitaoka aspect wasn't relevant, that's fine, but harping on the why of posting is going way off topic and getting silly.

Glee, I don't know. But I think scrivener hit on it in his second go: it's more schadenfreude in the "person in power ankled by everyday vices" sense than anything.

As to the actual story and topic... I love how the interviews with neighbors have essentially confirmed what I suspected: a lot of them wished someone would have gone ofter these stupid kids, and they're glad it was Gerard Jervis rather than them.

The lawyer, though, is saying some odd things. Including discussing it in terms of self defense and saying it's okay to take "appropriate action." I'm not sure if a car chase or running someone off the road is a symmetrical response to some eggs.
                        Last edited by pzarquon; March 10, 2008, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I saw KITV's report this morning...yup, some Lanikai neighbors had a "it was wrong but....aurite" kinda vibe going on. While Jervis is definitely the "money" part of this story, I've heard little about what these boys did to provoke such a strong reaction. Did these guys go nuts and do some real damage...or did Jervis loose it...or is the truth somewhere in between?

The kids (vandals) screwed up...so did Jervis (dwi vigilante)...two wrongs didn't make a right.

If the vandalism is as big a problem as was presented in the news report, I wonder what is or isn't being done by HPD?

Comment

[quote=pzarquon;187130]

As to the actual story and topic... I love how the interviews with neighbors have essentially confirmed what I suspected: a lot of them wished someone would have gone ofter these stupid kids, and they're glad it was Gerard Jervis rather than them.
                            yep, several of the neighbor's said that they had "fantasized" about doing it themselves.

The lawyer, though, is saying some odd things. Including discussing it in terms of self defense and saying it's okay to take "appropriate action." I'm not sure if a car chase or running someone off the road is a symmetrical response to some eggs.
                            what i don't understand is why GJ is being charged with criminal property damage and the kids MAY be charged with harrassment?!
                            "chaos reigns within.
                            reflect, repent and reboot.
                            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              And to FM -- there's quite a difference between the GJ thread and the Ho thread. In GJ's case, the old matter was clearly factual and public knowledge and well reported. In the Ho case, the overdose post here was still at the rumor stage, before the medical exmainer issued a report. The point in the GJ thread case is obviously that the facts were already in, while the point in the Ho thread was to wait until the facts were in.
                              Apples and oranges.
                              Apples and oranges, you say. I think it is more,... apples and moutain apples.

The justification that some folks here used to link Jervis' Friday night incident with the 1999 scandal was that it was reported on by both the broadcast and print media. So in their minds, it made it OKAY to do so on HT. All right, let's go with that thought for a moment.

Allegations of Ho-Henry dying of an OD appeared here after it was reported on by KITV in their news broadcast and website. Later on, KITV removed the OD references, but the cat was already out of the bag. Editing/retractions could not magically zap that information out of people's minds. But even though it was already reported on by a broadcast media outlet, you still seemed upset that it was being discussed on this board.

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...9&postcount=10

Later on when it was confirmed in the medical examiner's report that Ho-Henry did, in fact, die of an accidental OD, you had this to say.

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...0&postcount=47

Heck, you wanted that whole HT discussion about Ho-Henry OD'ing locked, even though it was already officially confirmed on the autopsy and reported on by the print and broadcast media.

I'm not saying that these two situations are totally identical. And I suppose that some people here who want to think that I'm wrong will comb out all the niggling differences. But I just wanted to note the striking similiarities in the tone and tenor between these two threads and how some lingering feelings and issues from the older discussions seemed to have carried over into this one.

Just my observations.
                              Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 10, 2008, 10:19 AM. Reason: misspelled "mountain" aggg!

Comment

Apparently the vandalism has been happening in Lanikai for quite some time. That's a bit surprising. Lanikai tends to be a low crime area for two reasons: it only has one road (read "escape route") going in and out, which criminals tend to avoid, and also it's pretty evident that police keep a better eye on wealthy neighborhoods. An incident in Lanikai or Kahala will get quicker and better response than a similar incident in Waimanalo or Waianae.
                                With the ongoing egging incidents, the vandals likely come in late at night, toss the eggs from a moving car and head right back out before anyone even knows it happened. Hard for the police to do anything about it, I'd guess.
                                But vigilante justice is never excusable.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X