This isn't gonna help the homeless problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This isn't gonna help the homeless problem

A friend 'in the know' told me today that The Institute For Human Services (IHS), as of the 1st of next month, will be charging $90 a mo. for a person to stay there.
    No doubt, they are feeling the slash of budget cuts and such, and maybe it's a stunt to get more public attention/$ paid to thier plights.

It's an odd situation, in that I can't imagine too many takers for the rent option in a living environment that is essencially squallor, filled with filthy, diseased, mentally damaged citizens, and only a few 'regular' people.
    How they expect anybody now residing there to continue to, is rather bizzare. Some get a monthly stipend, but most are dirt poor and will be shoved out the door with no options for shelter.

So, lot's more people will be filling our streets under whatever semi-shelter they can find on our already choked sidewalks as beds. Mufi is chasing the hidden homeless out of thier dark corners and it's produced a glaring upsurge in folks with OBVIOUSLY no where to go.

The legislature fails to pass $ for Lingle's no plan homeless relief plan, and the Kakaako shelter has only one more year to exist.

This State needs to take drastic steps immediately to get people sheltered and cared for, no matter how unpopular the subject matter and solutions are to many.
    It's out of control.
    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 13, 2008, 07:22 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: This isn't gonna help the homeless problem

Part of that sad truth of some the tenants of IHS is that they in fact do have jobs but just don't make enough for shelter of their own.

Another sad truth is that any business (including non-profit charities) have utility bills to pay. It costs money cook food and to shelter people.

IHS has depended on monies from the State of Hawaii (most likely thru DHS) but they can always fund their expenditures thru grant writing and fundraising. DHS is experiencing some major reductions in funding from our legislature this year. Remember when Lingle was holding back spending last year in anticipation of what's happening now?

I think her vision was solid because if funding was granted and not fulfilled, agencies would be hit harder with budgets already finalized and no monies to fill them. At least agencies can streamline and anticipate less instead of resulting in sudden layoffs and programs being killed leaving many who depended on them high and dry.

With IHS charging now, it's hedging future deficits. By charging they will get something out of those who can pay, and probably will have some sort of subsidy program in place for those who can't. IHS has been feeding freeloaders who really don't need their assistance for many years.

Once one of my former co-workers told me he could get a free lunch if he went down to IHS on his lunch break. I asked him if he had any concious at all for even thinking of that, he asked me why I asked him that? He couldn't even fathom the absolute ubsurdness of his remark despite his $50,000 a year income. He just figured free food!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      Once one of my former co-workers told me he could get a free lunch if he went down to IHS on his lunch break. I asked him if he had any concious at all for even thinking of that, he asked me why I asked him that? He couldn't even fathom the absolute ubsurdness of his remark despite his $50,000 a year income. He just figured free food!
      Meh! Would he still have been standing in line for his "freebie" if he had to wash the dishes, sweep/mop the floor, serve the food, etc. IOW, do something to earn that meal. I would imagine that would take care of folks like your co-worker.

And I don't see why that can't be the case for all of IHS' clients. If they have a job and want a place to sleep, they should pay a nominal fee. If they honestly can't afford to pay for it, then they should at least perform some sort of work for IHS. Clean the bathroom. Work in the kitchen. Do some landscaping. Go on errands. Whatever. Just don't make it a handout. If anyone able-bodied refuses, then show them the door. If funding is tight and agencies like IHS has to cut back on the number of homeless people they can help, then they should prioritize and assist those who show at least some desire and potential to better themselves rather than waste their time and resources taking care of the leeches and deadwood.
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; May 13, 2008, 08:32 PM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Next Wed. May 21, 2008 is our Neighborhood Board 15 Meeting.

Connie Mitchell, Director of IHS is on the agenda.

The Public is invited.

Kapalama Elementary Cafeteria
        1601 North School Street
        Honolulu, HI 96817

7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

Lynn Vasquez
        Last edited by 1stwahine; May 13, 2008, 08:30 PM.
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

This user fee of the IHS sounds like a homeless tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            No doubt, they are feeling the slash of budget cuts and such, and maybe it's a stunt to get more public attention/$ paid to thier plights.
            Gosh, I hope IHS's manipulative & deceptive scheme works beyond their wildest world-dominating dreams!

Sounds like a great opportunity to reach donors who could effect change through action rather than by criticism. IHS has a permanent place on our charitable donations, as does the Food Bank. If more businesses or people sponsored a recipient by contributing $90/month then perhaps nonprofits wouldn't need to depend on legislative handouts or publicity campaigns.

I think it also brings more responsibility & accountability to the service. Companies have experimented for decades with workplace perks like free soda or free candy vending machines, only to learn that the beneficiaries treat their benefit with much more consideration (less waste, less mess) if they have to pony up a nickel or a dime for the "freebie". Rockefeller learned over a century ago that philanthropy is much more effective when the fundraising is done through challenge grants or matching funds. So $90/month gives everyone an opportunity to assign a value to the benefit.

This adds an element of making life choices and budget decisions, too. I wonder how much some of those beneficiaries spend on other lifestyle expenses like cigarettes or alcohol.

It doesn't have to be complicated or expensive. A few years ago our kid's Girl Scout troop volunteered behind IHS' meal line and noticed that they were running out of cups. For their Bronze project, the girls went door-to-door collecting the neighborhood's unused coffee cups and donated over 350 of them... and people were thanking them for helping to clean out their cupboards.
            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post

With IHS charging now, it's hedging future deficits. By charging they will get something out of those who can pay, and probably will have some sort of subsidy program in place for those who can't. IHS has been feeding freeloaders who really don't need their assistance for many years.

one of mom's caretakers is considers himself homeless although he rents some space from his friends for $200/mth. mom pays him well. he supposedly has another caretaking position that pays him double. he works at a retail store, too. i asked him why he doesn't just get a place of his own now that he's making so much money. his answer, "i'm waiting for section 8 housing." he also receives disability income (social security), food stamps, free medical and a free bus pass.

talk about abusing the system. reminds me of some people who were on the welfare system for years until the state changed the rules of the game.
              "chaos reigns within.
              reflect, repent and reboot.
              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Connie Mitchell, Director of IHS did not show up at our Neighborhood Board Meeting. I requested Chairperson B. Young to invite her again. IHS is in our District.

I did a walk through at Aala Park two days ago. There is a significant increase of Homeless People in the park. On Saturday, the line at KauKau Wagon long. Some in the crowd unruly. In fact, lucky my daughter was with us. She broke up two fights of Big Hungry Men!

As I walked the line, I asked the crowd about IHS charges. Many were sadden and said they are going to Aala Park to sleep. Others so numb and not in this world...they don't know wea the hell they are.

"IHS has been providing services to the people who are homeless on Oahu for over 28 years. The founder, Rev. Dr. Claude DuTeil started his outreach by handing out peanut butter sandwiches (on donated Loves bread)and hot coffee to people in need. This is how IHS derived its first name of "the Peanut Butter Ministry". Father Claude DuTeil was a great believer that everyone deserved to be treated with compassion, dignity and respect."
                http://search.volunteerhawaii.org/org/955829.html

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I wouldn't expect her to be showing up any time soon..., as she has lot's to answer to, but please keep trying.
                  Her and former IHS directors have always gone on that creep Mike Buck's Saturday morning radio show and get the kid glove/propaganda treatment from him making everything sound so wonderful when many of the realities are just the opposite.

One question I'd love to ask her is what the hell happens to the tons of great food that is constantly donated to IHS but virtually never is seen/eaten by those for whom it is intended.
                  The answer is, that for decades it has mostly all been stolen by the workers under the auspices of those in charge and enjoyed by them all. I once volunteered in the IHS kitchen to see for myself what had been known or suspected all along and told to me by some of the IHS inhabitants. They then are left to consume paltry amounts of the same old same old 'menu'. As an example, a friend informed me that today's lunch was, just guess, that's right, peanut butter sandwiches.
                  Glad to see they are keeping The Peanut Butter Ministry tradition alive. I wonder what good ol' Claude is thinking these day's?

Not to be mercilously slamming the IHS, they have been life savers for thousands of unfortunates, including myself many years ago during a short time of whoopsydaisy, that's why I still have my in-house informants that have never moved on. But, the situation is so needlessly under performing on the ground level in so many ways, and true managing of the place has been MIA that the up-coming changes may shake thier tree enuf to instill some long needed sensibility, regardless if they like it or not.
                  Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 22, 2008, 05:39 PM.

Comment

One question I'd love to ask her is what the hell happens to the tons of great food that is constantly donated to IHS but virtually never is seen/eaten by those for whom it is intended.
                    The answer is, that for decades it has mostly all been stolen by the workers under the auspices of those in charge and enjoyed by them all. I once volunteered in the IHS kitchen to see for myself what had been known or suspected all along and told to me by some of the IHS inhabitants. They then are left to consume paltry amounts of the same old same old 'menu'. As an example, a friend informed me that today's lunch was, just guess, that's right, peanut butter sandwiches.
                    I don't doubt that what you say could very well be true. As you correctly surmise, the root of the problem can be traced to a lack of proper oversight and supervision.

But this is part of the reason why good executive directors for non-profits are so important. Their job is to make sure that the organizations resources are properly utilized and not subjected to waste. At the same time, finding good candidates are not easy. The old saying about how "change starts at the very top" is true.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Well, THIS is certainly interesting...

Caught up with another IHS friend last night and took him out for a decent meal after his IHS 'dinner' of another psuedo sandwich (two slices of bread with little else), and he told me of something I've not heard word one about in any of our useless local media.

There recently has been some kind of a lawsuit filed by a group of women at the women's IHS shelter concerning the new changes coming to thier shelter and the inhumane consequences, where they also house entire families, and in a few day's will be suffering the same sad fates as the men's shelter, and it seems they have won the court decision.

What the complete issues and details are in this matter are not known to me yet, but the issue of discrimination was brought up in our conversation. In that, if the court decision is now in favor of the women's shelter, can't it then have similar positive repercussions for the men's, should it come to further court actions?

Istwahine, can you please let me know when/where/time your next board meeting is? Thanx!

Comment

Re: Well, THIS is certainly interesting...

Istwahine, can you please let me know when/where/time your next board meeting is? Thanx!
                        Every third Wednesday of the month at Kapalama Elementary School Cafeteria.

We need to hear your concerns and opinions.

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn aka 1stwahine

Comment

Cool, I shoulda asked the time of the meetings as well...

Has she ever replied to the invitation/s?

And, where exactly is Kapalama Elem.? A landmark would do?

Thanx!

Comment

Cool, I shoulda asked the time of the meetings as well...

Has she ever replied to the invitation/s?

And, where exactly is Kapalama Elem.? A landmark would do?

Thanx!
                            Kapalama Elementary Cafeteria
                            1601 North School Street
                            Honolulu, HI 96817

7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

Across Kam Shopping Center in KALIHI!

She replied according to Chairperson Young but neba show up.

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Bumping this thread!

Tonight is NB 15 Meeting.

From the C&C Website.
                              http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/nco/nb15/08/15junag.htm
                              IV. SCHEDULED RESIDENTS’ CONCERNS:

A. Institute for Human Services (IHS); Connie Mitchell – IHS public programs.

Lynn Vasquez-DelaCerna

Comment

Working...
                              X