2008 Honolulu Mayoral Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2008 Honolulu Mayoral Debate

Umm, is rail the ONLY topic discussed/scrutinized in the mayoral debate?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
      I also thought the idea of letting them ask their own questions was strange... an ideal situation for veiled attacks. While making for great entertainment, it did little to inform me as a voter.
      Surprisingly, I agree. It seems like a good idea in theory, but as Mufi said so often through the debate “the proof is in the poi.”

A perfect example is Panos criticizing Mufi for the city’s “The Boat” project, a ferry which takes commuters from Kalaeloa into town. Prevedouros takes the mayor to task for what is in his mind, is an alternative that fails to consider “cost-effectiveness.” The mayor easily debunks Panos’ flawed logic by pointing out that not only is The Boat a pilot project subsidized by the feds to the tune of $4 million ... 360 people are riding it daily — an increase from just a month ago. Hannemann further explains that like all “pilot projects,” it will be evaluated for effectiveness after the one-year test-run.

All of this is information anyone who reads the newspaper already knows, and I would have much preferred the moderators and panelists to move on to other pressing issues facing Honolulu.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        Umm, is rail the ONLY topic discussed/scrutinized in the mayoral debate?
        It's my belief that if rail wasn't an issue that the other two candidates would not have run. However, Panos is also bringing up two other important issues....trash and sewage.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          A perfect example is Panos criticizing Mufi for the city’s “The Boat” project, a ferry which takes commuters from Kalaeloa into town. Prevedouros takes the mayor to task for what is in his mind, is an alternative that fails to consider “cost-effectiveness.” The mayor easily debunks Panos’ flawed logic by pointing out that not only is The Boat a pilot project subsidized by the feds to the tune of $4 million ... 360 people are riding it daily — an increase from just a month ago. Hannemann further explains that like all “pilot projects,” it will be evaluated for effectiveness after the one-year test-run.
          Hasn't it been 12 months already? Shouldn't they be evaluating it by now?

Comment

Why would anyone support The Boat, even as a pilot project that is federally funded? Waste is waste, whether it is federally funded, locally funded or privately funded. If our objective is to find funding for the most costly means imaginable to transport commuters, I think a helicopter service might make just as much sense. Why don't we just hire a fleet of stretch limos to pick up 6 to 8 commuters each? It would be cheaper than the boat and more convenient for the riders (doorstep pick-up/drop-off, no weather/repair cancellations). This idea of wanting more than one publicly funded commuting 'choice' is misguided, to say the least. We should publicly fund one commuting option, make it available to as many as possible, and try to make it as economical and efficient as possible. Hey, we already have that system, The Bus. All other options can remain open for private exploitation. Anyone wanting the level of government spending and coddling implicit in multiple modes of publicly funded commuter transportation doesn't rate high in my book.
            Last edited by salmoned; September 10, 2008, 10:22 AM.
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
              Why would anyone support The Boat, even as a pilot project that is federally funded? Waste is waste, whether it is federally funded, locally funded or privately funded. If our objective is to find funding for the most costly means imaginable to transport commuters, I think a helicopter service might make just as much sense. Why don't we just hire a fleet of stretch limos or vans to pick up 6 to 8 commuters each? It would be cheaper than the boat and more convenient for the riders (doorstep pick-up/drop-off, no weather/repair cancellations).
              That's a very good point. People tend to think that federal money is free money but we are all paying for it whether it's federal or state funding.

I'd also want to know if the commuters on "The Boat" previously were car commuters or The Bus commuters. If they were the latter it would definitely not make any sense to continue The Boat.

Comment

when will Honolulu-based TV stations -- the one that we neighbor islanders are forced to watch OTA (antenna) -- are going to start airing Maui, Hawaii, and Kauai Mayoral Debates?
                Forced?! No one is stopping you from starting another broadcast station. Until that happens, the stations will serve the media markets they represent.

Is Ann Kobayashi actually running for mayor (or) is she helping Panos Prevedorous bash Mufi? I would be sorely embarrassed if I’m in one of her political [TV] ads
                Your concern is well justified. In today's Star-Bulletin, Mufi summarizes the issue quite succintly:
                “There was a lot of collaboration and tag-teaming going on,” Hannemann said afterward.
                During the first round of questions, Kobayashi asks Prevedouros why contractor Parsons Brinckerhoff made different recommendations under the Harris and Hannemann administrations, respectively. Cleary Panos has nothing to do with Parsons Brinckerhoff, so why is Ann asking him this? In your words, it’s meant solely to “bash Mufi.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Well, I thought it was quite obvious that they are both running for Mufi's seat so certainly they will both go after him the most.

Comment

Forced?! No one is stopping you from starting another broadcast station. Until that happens, the stations will serve the media markets they represent.
                    Yeah, I hate that term.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

BTW, when will Honolulu-based TV stations -- the one that we neighbor islanders are forced to watch OTA (antenna) -- are going to start airing Maui, Hawaii, and Kauai Mayoral Debates?
                      Until that happens, the stations will serve the media markets they represent.
                      According to Nielsen Media, the DMA for Honolulu, HI (ranked #73 for the 2007-2008 surveys) includes all the major islands of Hawai`i. Nielsen DMA map available here (see page 8).

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
                        It's my belief that if rail wasn't an issue that the other two candidates would not have run. However, Panos is also bringing up two other important issues....trash and sewage.

They were brought up but little was discussed. It's too bad. Has anyone heard of gas plasma trash incinerators? I saw that on tv the other day and wondered why can't we build one of those? It supposedly generates more power than it consumes, the by product is useful material for road building, and it eliminates the need for a landfill and does not require the tedious work of recycling or shipping waste elsewhere. Infact, it can even start burning trash from existing landfills so that could be a power source for the island.

Comment

Too bad Mufi has already rejected PAG (Plasma Arc Gasification) as a solution to our trash problem.

Comment

(Panos is) the only one advising public education on rail and other issues, so an informed electorate can vote.
                            What a crock of bull! The Hannemann administration held several informational briefings from Kapolei to Kalihi! I know, because I attended several of those meetings where details and displays were prominent, and public input was both welcomed and collected. Mufi’s also running television ads and set up a website, all to counter the misinformation being circulated by mainland lobbyist-backed groups like Stop Rail Now.

So let’s not mistake Panos’ lip-service for the Mayor’s action on the issue of “public education.” As I said earlier, Panos was like a deer caught in the headlights when asked by the panel what he would do if the voters chose rail. Like joshuatree postulates, Prevedouros response that he would “re-educate” the public, then call for another election to toss out the results of the current one — is what a third world dictator would do to get his way.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

What a crock of bull! The Hannemann administration held several informational briefings from Kapolei to Kalihi! I know, because I attended several of those meetings where details and displays were prominent, and public input was both welcomed and collected. Mufi’s also running television ads and set up a website, all to counter the misinformation being circulated by mainland lobbyist-backed groups like Stop Rail Now.

So let’s not mistake Panos’ lip-service for the Mayor’s action on the issue of “public education.” As I said earlier, Panos was like a deer caught in the headlights when asked by the panel what he would do if the voters chose rail. Like joshuatree postulates, Prevedouros response that he would “re-educate” the public, then call for another election to toss out the results of the current one — is what a third world dictator would do to get his way.
                              This reminds me of something else too. Panos snickered that any company paid to do an analysis will always report in favor of the mayor in power and that mayor's view, ie Harris and now Hanneman. So when he says he will toss out the vote results if it favors rail and as mayor, he will re-educate the public, doesn't that mean he will hire a PB equivalent that will provide an analysis that praises his view? I'm basing it on his logic, so how is he any different than other politicians? And him calling the city's disaster recovery team kaka-mimi? Already making enemies that will blunt his influence if he does become mayor. Smart move....

Comment

A clear Panos win.
                                Uh, what debate were you watching? He was probably the most inarticulate, rambling, one platform candidate ever.
                                GO RAIL GO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X