2008 Honolulu Mayoral Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2008 Honolulu Mayoral Debate

TuNnl, enumerate your 12 incidents of 5 hour traffic delays if you can, because fatal accidents don't always (or even often, if ever) cause traffic delays of 5 hours. If I must produce documentation of a hypothetical future, I'd like to see yours of an asserted past. Provide proof of these twelve 5 hour delays due to fatal accidents, and I will enthusiastically support rail.

Of course, I can't prove our rail stations will experience traffic congestion because [almost] no one rides rail. No one is riding rail here and almost no one (as a percentage of daily commuters from low and medium density areas) rides rail across the entire U.S.A. Since I believe this will prove true here, my hypothetical traffic congestion would only apply if drivers switched to rail in numbers greater than anywhere else (as predicted by the Alternative Analysis). If they don't, rail will be a complete failure at easing traffic whatsoever. Now, if 25,000 drivers DO switch to rail and want to drive to the stations, most will be out of luck, since less than 9,000 parking spaces will be available throughout the rail system. That lack of parking is what I predicated my prediction of station traffic congestion upon.

Bus lanes may be a big 'if', but not comparable to the $7 billion 'if' of rail.

Joshuatree, half of my rush hour traffic delay occurs between my house and the freeway. The rail station will be near the freeway, so I can expect the same traffic getting to the station as I experience getting to the freeway, whether anyone else takes rail or not.

Rail has not been well received in the past, either. Circumstances change. If Honolulu had 10X the population it currently enjoys, I'd say rail would be spot on. It doesn't, so rail isn't appropriate.

Look at the Alternative Analysis Table 3.6, Peak-Hour Transit Travel Times by Alternative. Remember, the AA is the primary document that resulted in the push for rail. Waianae to downtown - Walk to transit 87 minutes, Auto travel time 81 minutes. Certainly looks to me like the bus is competitive with driving (6 minute difference) on a time basis. The difference from Ewa is 8 minutes. I'm sure you're aware that the bus is more than competitive with car driving on a cost basis, so why isn't the majority taking the bus now? The only answer is that transit (bus today, rail tomorrow) doesn't serve their needs as well as driving.

Now, look at the estimated travel times with the 20 mile Alignment (the only rail alternative deemed 'affordable'). Notice the overwhelming lack of improvement? Notice how they pretend driving to transit will save time, but walking to transit is about the same? So unless many drivers switch to transit (more than seen anywhere else), there will only be a negligible over-all decrease in travel time.
    Last edited by salmoned; October 3, 2008, 01:50 PM.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
      TuNnl, enumerate your 12 incidents of 5 hour traffic delays if you can, because fatal accidents don't always (or even often, if ever) cause traffic delays of 5 hours. If I must produce documentation of a hypothetical future, I'd like to see yours of an asserted past. Provide proof of these twelve 5 hour delays due to fatal accidents
      Salmoned, I am the only one of the two of us that has frequently (if not ever) provided proof of any statement made on HT, so it’s your turn to do your homework for a change. I have been at the scene of at least 50 traffic accidents ranging from serious to fatal in the last five years, and I can’t recall off the top of my head which accident happened on what day. I will say that since you have never experienced a five-hour delay, it stands to reason you have never been at the scene of a fatal accident which makes you unqualified to make any assessment.

I will personally stake my life on the fact that it typically takes HPD between 4-5 hours from the time such an accident occurs to the time the investigation is completed, depending on location. I would turn it around and I have good money that says you cannot find a single Honolulu police officer, dispatcher, EMS technician, or firefighter that would back up your version of events.

[/offtopic]

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

What's my 'version of events'? You said you were personally 'at the scene' of 5 hour traffic delays a dozen times - I want to know when. If you weren't personally delayed for 5 hours, you lied. If I were delayed in traffic for 5 hours, I'd certainly remember the occasion(s). Just because it takes HPD 4 to 5 hours to finish an accident investigation doesn't mean traffic (or any single uninvolved driver) was delayed that long - as you well know. Implying otherwise is not telling the truth. A 10 or 20 minute traffic delay that lasts for 5 hours isn't a 5 hour traffic delay. A 5 hour traffic delay is someone sitting in traffic for 5 hours longer than it normally takes to get to their destination. So, were you delayed in traffic for 5 hours or not? By your response so far, it clearly appears not. That I have not experienced a 5 hour delay in traffic is a fact, no quibbling. That version of events is absolutely true.

If you look at my post above, you will see that I have provided 'proof' of a previous statement by citing the Alternative Analysis report. Again, because you failed to read or comprehend my entire post, you failed to see the 'proof' so recently provided. How do you propose I 'prove' I haven't experienced a 5 hour traffic delay? I doubt a single Honolulu police officer, dispatcher, EMS technician, or firefighter has experienced a 5 hour traffic delay along the 20 mile Alignment route either, although they may have spent 5 hours at the scene.
        Last edited by salmoned; October 6, 2008, 09:17 AM.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

hi this is sansei and im now viewing our mayoral debate and my thought's for kauai mayor if i could vote for would be joann yukimura is she make's some valid point's and if i could vote for the big island governor.not sure yet? For our mayor,would be mufi h and that's my thought's on this subject. Also im voting yes for rail and not to sure on Con Con?

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Hmmm...was that Auntie standing behind Ann Kobayashi on the KFVE news a few minutes ago? Inquiring minds wanna know!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Hmmm...was that Auntie standing behind Ann Kobayashi on the KFVE news a few minutes ago? Inquiring minds wanna know!
              I saw her too, in her lime green shirt. But... no hat!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                I saw her too, in her lime green shirt. But... no hat!!!
                I caught only about a second of it so don't remember the shirt color. No hat, tho'! You're right!

Comment

Working...
                X