1997 Cemetary Vandalism - Update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 Cemetary Vandalism - Update?

hi this is sansei and i've always wondered if the people or person were caught and they were the person or people who tagged with spraypaint at the punchbowl cemetary is i hope if they were caught,it would put my thought's to rest is that's where my father is inturned so if they havent been caught,i hope they will so that my father and many other's will rip.

Well thank's for your time

Re: years ago,wondered if person's were caught?

Sansei, I could not find anything if person/persons were caught. I did find the following.

Vandalism at National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific (NMCP)

In the late evening of April 19 and early morning of April 20, 1997, the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, or "The Punchbowl," was one of seven cemeteries in the State of Hawaii to be desecrated by vandals. Vandals spray painted profane and racist words on all 22 walls in the Columbarium Courts and desecrated the Chapel, grave markers, railings and walls throughout the cemetery. Neither the Federal Government nor VA appeared to be specific targets of the vandals as the unauthorized entry by an unknown number of persons affected VA, State and private cemeteries.

The attack on NMCP, the Kaneohe State Veterans Cemetery and several private cemeteries on Oahu was organized, as vandals used stencils and red spray paint to publicize their racist and hateful messages. The cost of repairs at NMCP was estimated at $20,000, donated by the Paralyzed Veterans of America. I am pleased to report that the damaged areas in NMCP have been restored and all graffiti has been removed. Federal, state and local law enforcement officials continue to work together and are still seeking the suspects.

Mr. Chairman, this concludes my prepared statement. My colleagues and I will be happy to answer any questions.
    http://www.va.gov/oca/testimony/hvac/soi/522.asp
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Holey moley...it's been 11+ years? I remember when that happened and it seems like only yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        I am pleased to report that the damaged areas in NMCP have been restored and all graffiti has been removed. http://www.va.gov/oca/testimony/hvac/soi/522.asp
        Please correct me if I am wrong (I hope I am), but wasn't the "REPAIR" accomplished by spray painting over all the graffiti. Unfortunately, the painting over of the inscribed names filled in the depressions, basically ruining the effect of carving into stone.
        I visited the cemetery shortly after the "repairs", but have not been back in recent years to see if the "repairs" were repaired!
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Re: 1997 Cemetary Vandalism - Update?

It only happened once. So, the ones responsible for the vandalism may have been cursed with a mysterious illness or have constant bad luck. I heard those obake stories wen small kid time of hauntings on vandals who desecrate a cementary.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            I heard those obake stories wen small kid time of hauntings on vandals who desecrate a cementary.
            We can only hope.
            "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
            Ayn Rand

Comment

hi this is sansei and i hope they are caught since we have familie's resting in peace there and why would anyone want to desecrate punchbowl and i hope it's not the person's in a race that's in my thought's and if it maybe,i hope they are caught and brought to justice since now my uncle and deceased father rest's there.

well thank's for your time

Comment

hi,i wondered if they ever caught the vandal's who desecrated Punchbowl cemetary and if they have,it would be nice is that they wouldnt be able to vandalize anywhere ever.i hope when they do catch the vandal's who desecrated Punchbowl,they put them or the person in the poki and let them think about why they desecrated Punchbowl.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Working...
                X