Looking for a landfill site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for a landfill site

So the decision yesterday by the City Council was to expand the current landfill site? And yet Mufi says when he's inaugurated and in power that he still wants to shut it down by 2008? Eh, either my math kapakahi or something, but if Mufi shuts down da landfill in 2008, den dat's oni 3 more years foa you guys in Honolulu to find someplace else to put your opala!

If da City and County don't force the citizens of Oahu to recycle or curb their conspicuous consumption, you guys going be in one world of hurt. We still can take your opala up here, you know, if da price is right. Either you guys going feel da pain through increased taxes to pay for your opala being shipped away, or you not going have any more places to develop! Den da people living in Ko'Olina not da oni ones who going be huhu then.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Miulang, I'm gonna start thinking you work for the company that wants to take our trash if you keep pushing the idea.

I've driven through a lot of Washington State, and I'd hate to see it filled up with Hawai'i's garbage (there's an Alice's Restaurant joke in here somewhere). If we can't take care of our own mess...
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
        Miulang, I'm gonna start thinking you work for the company that wants to take our trash if you keep pushing the idea.

I've driven through a lot of Washington State, and I'd hate to see it filled up with Hawai'i's garbage (there's an Alice's Restaurant joke in here somewhere). If we can't take care of our own mess...
        Heehee! Nah, I don't work for any waste management company. But the State of WA is about $1.6 billion in the hole right now, so if you guys like kokua and send some cash to help us balance our budget, it's OK with us. Where they would dump your trash is in the middle of nowhere, anyway, and not anyplace that anyone would want to live nearby. If you're really interested, go find a map and look for Roosevelt, WA. That's about where da opala would go.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I have a suggestion that sounds fair to everybody...create landfills and recycle centers within each district that creates it's own trash. That way the size of the landfill in your own backyard will be determined by how much your district recycles.

It seems that everybody is taking this NIMBY attitude about landfill sites yet has no problem putting their own trash in somebody elses district. Well if you keep the trash you create in your own backyard that's fair instead of heaping it in somebody elses backyard. If you want to keep your backyard's trash heap to a minimum then you'd be more inclined to recycle your trash.

Your backyard would be a designated location within your own district. For example, Waialae-Kahala would have their own recycle center as would Palolo or Kaimuki. You recycle as much as you can to reduce the amount of landfill material. The excess would then go to Campbell Industrial Park to be incinerated at H-Power.

By putting a recycle center or a refuse center within each district, nobody can say that their district is a dumping ground for the rest of the island.

I think it's time people should become responsible for the waste they create and be proactive about what they do with their trash. Nobody wants a landfill in their neighborhood, yet it seems nobody seems to care where the garbage they create goes, so long as it's Not In My Back Yard. Yeah right it's your trash, keep it in your Back Yard.

It's time we all take a serious look at recycling and reducing the amount of trash we put out every week. When I was in Honolulu I could fill an entire automated refuse container to the brim twice a week and then some. When I moved to the Big Island and we had to haul our trash ourselves, you start to understand just how much trash one can generate and you devise ways to minimize the quantity of trash you have to put in the trunk of your car every week by recycling.

Maybe we should end garbage pick up as a service and let each and every one of us take our own garbage to the dump or the recycle center. Then we'd all realize how much we waste everyday.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Nah, Craig. Not everybody is as responsible as you are. What would happen if you did away with city garbage pickups is all the lazy buggahs in town would let da opala pile up in the streets (say like Calcutta), then Oahu would look like a Third World country. Then how many tourists would want to visit?

Miulang

Comment

You know I'd thought the same about the Big ISland however the streets are a lot cleaner and the home lots are a lot less of an eye sore than what I've seen in Honolulu.

Eh so what running out of Kona Beans?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                You know I'd thought the same about the Big ISland however the streets are a lot cleaner and the home lots are a lot less of an eye sore than what I've seen in Honolulu.

Eh so what running out of Kona Beans?
                Since you guys kinda "pioneers" out there, no wonder you take pride in your land. However, many city dwellers who don't own property don't have the same attitude. If they can blame the opala on somebody else (it's easier to be anonymous when you live in a congested area), I bet you'd find "anonymous" bags of trash at the curbside, too.

In our condo complex, the renters (as opposed to the owners who live here) take less responsibility for their actions than the owners do; probably because they have no vested interest in keeping the place looking good.

Yeah, we wen run out of da Kona, but we going concentrate on SBUX burned coffee for little while. However, get one retail store ova dere dat sells Hawaiian Vintage Chocolate? I like try some of dat stuff in my baking. I bet would taste onolicious in a chocolate lava cake, yeah? I know I can order by mail, but I like know if get one store in Hilo that go sell dakine. BTW: I understand that Hawaiian Vintage Chocolate has a farm in Kea'au someplace? Is that true? I wonder if they give tours? Next year I think we going holoholo to the Big Island and if get tour, that would be someplace I'd like to visit.

Miulang

Comment

I still think each district should take care of its own refuse. It's not fair that one district should be able to pollute another for the sake of NIMBY! At least for Honolulu, each council member should be responsible to find a site within their districts to handle their opala.

I'm not sure about Hawaiian Vintage Chocolates but I do know that somewhere on the Big Island is where the world's best chocolate is made.

I'll look for the sales on Kona Coffee beans. KTA just sponsored a big Kona Coffee Bean festival a few weeks ago and had this fantastic sale on coffee. Figures just after I sent you the coffee and just before it was announced about the hike in the stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    I still think each district should take care of its own refuse. It's not fair that one district should be able to pollute another for the sake of NIMBY! At least for Honolulu, each council member should be responsible to find a site within their districts to handle their opala.

I'm not sure about Hawaiian Vintage Chocolates but I do know that somewhere on the Big Island is where the world's best chocolate is made.

I'll look for the sales on Kona Coffee beans. KTA just sponsored a big Kona Coffee Bean festival a few weeks ago and had this fantastic sale on coffee. Figures just after I sent you the coffee and just before it was announced about the hike in the stuff!
                    Even though Hawaiian Vintage Chocolate's corporate address is in Honolulu, I do believe that they have contracted with some farmers in Kea'au to grow cocoa beans. I think some other people are also raising vanilla beans over there, too. Apparently your volanic soil and weather are perfect for growing cocoa and vanilla beans. Maybe that's what I'll do if I buy a lot in Kea'au. I'll be a cocoa and vanilla bean farmer! Thanks for looking for some more Kona for me too. Just let me know how much it is and I'll pay you back, unless there's something from up here that you want like smoked salmon or different kinds of coffee beans (NOT SBUX because you don't like the taste).

Miulang

Comment

I think chocolate comes from the cacau (spelling?) plant and is a pod.

Anyway don't worry about sending anything back, it's not a problem. I'll check the papers for the sales. One thing about Kea'au, I think the weather is too dry and hot for growing coffee. It's great for orchids though, there's tons of Bamboo Orchids growing wild all around my place!

Comment

An update on development at Ko'Olina. Since the opala heap will be right next door at least through 2008 (and then even after they berm it the stuff under the ground will still be there), how many visitors would want to stay at the Grand Ko'Olina if they knew what was in the ground next door? Seems like a waste of money to me.

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../bz/bz01p.html

Comment

Oahu's opala and the lack of space to grow is making the news again. Sounds like the City Council has two options: ship the ever growing loads of garbage up to the Mainland, or eventually run out of space and have it piled up on the sides of the street, like on Maui.

If they vote to ship the opala to the Mainland (I don't know if the offer to ship trash to Washington is still open or not), then taxpayers are going to have to pay the cost for getting the garbage up to the Mainland. If they choose not to ship the garbage, which neighborhood wants to share its land with a new landfill? Are they going to truck stuff up to Kahuku side? The people who occupy Ko'Olina are going to be thrilled to pieces when they close down that landfill. Unfortunately, they can't build on it for years and years (if ever) because of all the bad stuff that might be buried there. I bet Mufi is getting bigtime pressure from the rich folk at Ko'Olina to shut that landfill down.

Miulang

Comment

Oahu is just getting way too crowded. Pretty soon going get one new mountain range between Waianae and the Koolau's called Mauna O' Opala.

Comment

Nah... still no mo nuff rubbish for one Mauna. Maybe we could have one Pu'u o Opala.

Comment

Here's a Google Maps view of the area near the Waimānalo Gulch Landfill. The landfill is in the upper left, just north of the Ko Olina artificial lagoons. See how close Ko Olina is? And also see how close Makakilo is? Who would put a resort next to a landfill anyway?

Comment

Working...
                                X