Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for a landfill site

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Here's a Google Maps view of the area near the Waimānalo Gulch Landfill. The landfill is in the upper left, just north of the Ko Olina artificial lagoons. See how close Ko Olina is? And also see how close Makakilo is? Who would put a resort next to a landfill anyway?
    Which came first? the landfill or Ko Olina? My guess is the landfill was there first. If it was, the County should condemn Ko Olina under the eminent domain rules just published by the US Supreme Court and turn that into the Waimanalo Gulch Landfill Annex!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

actually I believe Ko'olina was always scrub land filled with thorny Keawe. Previously to that it was sugarcane lands so I don't think it was ever a landfill.

Oops I had to read the previous posts to fully understand your chicken/egg question. Okay the resort came first.

The Waimanalo Gulch landfill was created out of the naiveness of those living in the area. When the City and County said they were going to build a landfill in the Waimanalo Gulch they had the meeting in the Waianae area. People living there thought the gulch was in...well Waimanalo on the extreme other side of the island...you know...Bumpy's land (Bumpy Kanahele the Hawaiian activist). The braddahs and sistahs of Waimanalo just laughed their okole's off because they new better and simply didn't attend.

When the bulldozers began clearing the land for this landfill, neighbors was appalled "What da heck stay going on ova dea?" they was asking themselves.

Yes you fools...the C&C said to those families, "Waimanalo Gulch is in your neighborhood...never mind the fact that we quietly renamed the gulch just before announcing the new landfill site". Ho I tell you dem buggahs in the C&C was a sneaky bunch...Hey Miulang...I tink dem buggahs was dems too! Hala in da Opala!

Oh and Point Of Interest: the lagoons of Ko'olina were originally restricted to the Ali'i...you know way back when before the white man came in and made all the wahine cover up their breasts.
      Last edited by craigwatanabe; August 2, 2005, 05:34 PM.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        actually I believe Ko'olina was always scrub land filled with thorny Keawe. Previously to that it was sugarcane lands so I don't think it was ever a landfill.
        Yeah, but which came first? The first buildings at Ko Olina or the landfill?
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Here, read this. It's a little essay entitled "Garbage In Paradise: A History of Honolulu's Refuse Division", the official history of waste disposal in the City & County of Honolulu. It's actually interesting!

Comment

The planning came for Ko'olina came first, then the landfill then the resort development. So to answer your question literally the landfill came before the buildings, BUT the planning for the resort came way back before the landfill.

Comment

Oh and Point Of Interest: the lagoons of Ko'olina were originally restricted to the Ali'i...you know way back when before the white man came in and made all the wahine cover up their breasts.
              Really? I thought the lagoons were manmade. I'm relieved to learn they weren't dynamited into existence, after all.

Hey, and if you go there at night, you don't have to cover up *anything.*

Comment

Hindsight will always be 20:20, but why in the heck would the city planners ever agree to put a landfill right next to a planned community? I know it was easy to just dump the leftover building materials from Ko Olina next door, but now the filled land in that dump site will be unusable for generations to come. And who knows what contaminants might leach into the water supply and lagoon of Ko Olina or Makakilo from that landfill?

Another example of poor, myopic city planning. Now the residents are going to be paying big time. Is there an opala god in Hawaiian mythology? If there is, I think he's going to have the last laugh on the people of Ko Olina.

Miulang

Comment

I wouldn't go there at night unless you want to be victimized. The pools can be a dangerous place to go at night unless you're on resort property.

Comment

The planning came for Ko'olina came first, then the landfill then the resort development. So to answer your question literally the landfill came before the buildings, BUT the planning for the resort came way back before the landfill.
                    Are you sure because the landfill got it's permit back in 1987.Read the bottom of this

But yeah, something needs to be done about where we are going to put all our waste.

I enjoy reading through all the interesting threads.

Comment

Hey! I got a great idea for limiting growth on Oahu. Put all the malihini into a series of Survivor competitions. Maybe have 1,000 "winners" who get to buy houses or find jobs. The rest get to go back to whereever they came from, with a lovely parting gift.

Lessee...there's been Survivor:Palau, Survivor: Amazon, Survivor: Vanuatu, the next series I think is in Guatemala...they could have Survivor: Waimanalo. Set in the lush Hawaiian tropical paradise of Waimanalo, 16 hearty and intrepid malihini get to brave dengue fever, foreign tasting food, a language that sounds like gibberish and disgruntled natives for the right to live on a tropical island...yeah, that's the ticket!

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani
                        Are you sure because the landfill got it's permit back in 1987.Read the bottom of this

But yeah, something needs to be done about where we are going to put all our waste.

I enjoy reading through all the interesting threads.

I got a master plan pamphlet for the development of Ko'olina dating back to 1984.

Comment

I wouldn't go there at night unless you want to be victimized. The pools can be a dangerous place to go at night unless you're on resort property.
                          I thought we were talking about the lagoons at Ko Olina, which I often go to at night with no fear.

Comment

Don't go to the far ones (Koko head side) where the open coral parking lot is. That parking lot isn't part of the resort.

Comment

I got a master plan pamphlet for the development of Ko'olina dating back to 1984.
                              Wow I nevah no wen dat fa back...tanks fo da info and I stand corrected. I must say you do put out a lot of good info, mahalo.

Comment

This is really funny. The City and County of Honolulu is running out of space in its landfill (scheduled to close by 2008) and the NIMBYs are saying put the replacement landfill in somebody else's back yard.

There's a private recycling firm up here in Washington that would be willing to take about 20% of your 'opala, but the City Council doesn't want to do it because they don't want to lose control of your 'opala and it would cost money (as opposed to generating money right now).

"...Hannemann said, "Everything is on the table." However, he said that shipping waste out of state is likely to be expensive and would cut city revenues because tipping fees would not be collected if the rubbish went elsewhere.

The state agency that oversees the Waimanalo Gulch landfill warned that the city faces a long and complicated process if it intends to extend the life of the landfill.

"Any application involving that facility will probably take a lot of time to process," said Laurence Lau, the Health Department's deputy director. "It's a big job."..."

So either the residents of the City and County of Honolulu start getting serious about recycling, or your taxes will go up some more because there's no room for your 'opala. Hmmm...which is more valuable? Space for the 'opala or space to develop housing?

Miulang

P.S. Don't feel bad. Maui has the same problem. The 'opala pile in Lahaina is visible from the highway, and it's not a very pretty sight! The dump in Pu'unene just had to open up another area because it, too, was running out of space.
                                Last edited by Miulang; January 21, 2006, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X