Next Lt. Governor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Lt. Governor?

Something I thought of the other day when I saw Sen. Bobby Bunda announcing a run for Lt. Gov. next time around: why are there so many people running for that no-account job? There are, according to this story, four people already declared and two more thinking about it.

About the only thing that job is good for is four or eight years waiting time before making a run at Governor. The Lieutenant Governorship in Hawai'i is like what John Nance Garner once said about the US Vice Presidency: "not worth a bucket of warm piss spit."

Any ideas?
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Next Lt. Governor?

Maybe the democratic party has someone intact for the governor's position already.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: As a republican, if Senator Daniel Inouye ran for Governor, I'd be hardpressed not to vote for him. As we all know he brings home the bacon. And Hawaii loves to eat their breakfasts with it.

That said, I think the LT. Governor would be someone close to Inouye, yet not so connected to his decorated military past (442nd). Inouye's generation is fading fast. My generation (sansei) is all that's left of his legacy. Yet it is my generation that is also not entrenched in the democratic ways as my parents (Nisei) and have no solid loyalty to his heroic actions as a Japanese American in WWII. But it's the fourth generation Japanese Americans here in Hawaii that are so disconnected with the honor of respect for the Go For Broke regiment.

Because of that (4th) generation, if Inouye is picked to run for Governor, then the LT. Gov needs to be someone who is close enough but not quite so connected to the old boy network that this younger generation despises so.

Anyway that's my take on it. I may be wrong, but I've been close enough to this honor system that even as a republican, I'd vote for Inouye if he ran.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      Because of that (4th) generation, if Inouye is picked to run for Governor, then the LT. Gov needs to be someone who is close enough but not quite so connected to the old boy network that this younger generation despises so.
      Interracial marriages in Hawaii will lessen the amount of political power one ethnic group will have. It will more equal for all who wants to run for a political office.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
        Interracial marriages in Hawaii will lessen the amount of political power one ethnic group will have. It will more equal for all who wants to run for a political office.
        3rd and 4th generation Japanese are more tolerant to mixed marriages. I think the days of the Japanese Old boy network is fading and with it the power of Inouye as well. He may as well make a final run for it by running for Governor while he still has the unconditional support.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
          why are there so many people running for that no-account job?
          The pay ain't bad just for making the occassional face.

Dan would get plenty heat from the opposition about his age and that would nearly kill his shot, especially if he should have the slightest health flare up.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            The pay ain't bad just for making the occassional face.

Dan would get plenty heat from the opposition about his age and that would nearly kill his shot, especially if he should have the slightest health flare up.
            I guarantee that if he were to run again for congress he'd not get those remarks so I doubt age would be an issue for him.

And if he did run for governor he wouldn't need to campaign. He could donate his entire campaign warchest to Hawaii's public education and look like the good guy and probably still win without spending a dime campaigning.

Comment

Who said anything about Dan running for Gov? It's Neil running for Gov next time out, not Dan.

Have I missed something?
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                Who said anything about Dan running for Gov? It's Neil running for Gov next time out, not Dan.

Have I missed something?
                Yeah you missed my post #2

Abercrombie doesn't have a snow flake's chance in Hell. Too many people remember his past.

Comment

um............isn't this thread about LT. Governor? so far, it been mostly about the governor's race.

I'm supporting Gary Hooser - for Lt. Governor!
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Lynn Vasquez-Dela Cerna for Lt. Governor
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      Abercrombie doesn't have a snow flake's chance in Hell.
                      Whew! Good thing he's not a snowflake campaigning in Hell.
                      Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                      Lynn Vasquez-Dela Cerna for Lt. Governor
                      Do they have Lt. Gov epaulets? If not, will you institute Lt. Gov. epaulets? If elected, will you go after the bum/s that bugged you at work?
                      If so, how soon can I vote?
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                      X