Action Proves Strong Beliefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action Proves Strong Beliefs

Wow, a situation where someone shows real convictions for his beliefs and opinions! Regardless of the politics (candidate A vs candidate B), the fact that Mr. Lapenia stood up against what he felt was wrong, to the point of quitting in protest, is too rare among policy makers. I thought about editing out the politicians names, because this is NOT about them, but then I realized that on the flip side my editing could been seen as hiding details. So, the article is intact, but this is not about politicians. It is about someone who stands up and acts when they see something happening that they do not agree with.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...nn+endorsement

An endorsement of Honolulu Mayor Mufi Hannemann's gubernatorial campaign by the Hawaii union representing longshoremen has caused its former president to quit two union-affiliated boards in protest. Eusebio "Bobo" Lapenia Jr. was active in International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 142 for 30 years and was its president from 1992 through 2003. Lapenia says Hannemann's rival for the Democratic gubernatorial nomination, former U.S. Rep. Neil Abercrombie, has always been supportive of the union. The Big Island resident contends Hannemann is taking advantage of the mayor's office while preparing his campaign. To campaign for Abercrombie, Lapenia says he has quit boards that oversee the union's real estate holdings and a health care program.
    Last edited by Amati; March 12, 2010, 02:29 PM.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Action Proves Nothing

I had to laugh when I read your post, Amati. Once again you show your inept naïvete when it comes to unions and Hawai‘i politics. All this proves is that Bobo couldn’t deliver the ILWU’s endorsement to the Abercrombie camp. He resigned, in shame. I applaud the ILWU for resisting the influence of the old boy network.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Re: Action Proves Strong Beliefs

I agree with Amati.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Action Proves Nothing

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        Bobo
        Seeing yet another similarly pathetic example of mega-pettiness towards our prez, make's one wonder just how willing these name calling yuckups would be to actually say it to Obama's face.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Ron - he is speaking about "Bobo" Lapenia, former ILWU president. Nothing to do with Obama.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Friggin Boboists!

Well, let's see someone say it to Lapenia's face then!

And yes, I'm embarrassed. I apologize.

Thank you, ap!
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I had to laugh when I read your post, Amati. Once again you show your inept naïvete when it comes to unions and Hawai‘i politics.
              I'm quite confident that I am as familiar with Hawaii unions and politics as any HTer.

As for YOUR style of carrying on a civil conversation, hala ka ukulele!
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                Seeing yet another similarly pathetic example of mega-pettiness towards our prez, make's one wonder just how willing these name calling yuckups would be to actually say it to Obama's face.
                And that includes Limbaugh, Bush, Cheney and all the other's who have been called names other than their own.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I had to laugh when I read your post, Amati. Once again you show your inept naïvete when it comes to unions and Hawai‘i politics. All this proves is that Bobo couldn’t deliver the ILWU’s endorsement to the Abercrombie camp. He resigned, in shame. I applaud the ILWU for resisting the influence of the old boy network.
                  As usual, your cheerleading for Mufi has got you trying to put an okole-backwards spin on the situation. And judging by the feedback you've got so far, it's got no one fooled.

First off, let's examine your statement that "Bobo (Lapenia) couldn't deliver the ILWU's endorsement to the Abercrombie camp." Lapenia is no longer the president of the ILWU Local 142. Issac Fiesta Jr. currently is. It's Fiesta's job to convince the rank-and-file to support the endorsement, not the other way around. Lapenia, no longer president of the local and not even on the executive board, is one of the rank-and-file. But a very influential one at that.

Besides Lapenia, the Star Bulletin is reporting that Yoshito Takamine is also resigning his board/panel positions with the ILWU over the Mufi endorsement. Takamine, for anyone who is new to the local political scene, is one of the key political/union figures on the Big Isle. His personal popularity in Hilo is made evident by the fact that he was the state representative from that area for 25 years without losing an election, until he retired and his son (Dwight) took over without missing a beat. Takamine also held various officer positions in the ILWU, including that of being the division chief of the Big Isle.

Besides getting himself or his son elected to the state legislature, Takamine also excelled in getting out the Big Island votes for others, including Jack Burns and George Ariyoshi for governor. In fact, without Takamine's help, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that some gubernatorial election outcomes in the Democratic Primaries might have turned out different.

Mufi might have gotten the local ILWU's "official" endorsement. But without Takamine and Lapenia on-board, it is an endorsement coming from a union where solidarity in the rank-and-file appears problematic.
                  Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 14, 2010, 11:38 AM.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

So you don't think Mufi is part of the old boy network?...man the guy is so deep into it. I also hope you don't believe that the ILWU president decided on this endorsement because that is what the rank and file wants.

Comment

Dusting off this old thread, just to reinforce my earlier speculation that Mufi's prized ILWU endorsement is but a hollow shell when a key union figure like Yoshito Takamine is withholding his support and backing the other guy instead.

Star Advertiser: Key Democratic supporters split over governor.

Yoshito Takamine, the son of Japanese immigrants who worked the sugar plantations, helped make the ILWU a political force on the Big Island. He said this year is not the first time he has broken with his union. In 1986, he said, he favored Honokaa-born John Waihee in the primary for governor over union-backed Cec Heftel, who was ahead in the polls. Waihee won.

"They said, 'John Waihee no more chance,' " Takamine recalled. "I said, 'I disagree.' "
                      I think this bit of history is about to repeat itself.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                      X