Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Will You Vote for Honolulu Mayor 2012?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Will You Vote for Honolulu Mayor 2012?

The Mayor's Race got front page billing today, with the Star-Advertiser's analysis of former Gov. Ben Cayetano's entry into the contest.

Victory could derail $5.27 billion project
    If the former governor wins and refuses to fund rail transit, money and jobs may disappear

By Kevin Dayton / kdayton@staradvertiser.com

Last year Honolulu Mayor Peter Carlisle told a radio audience that Honolulu's rail project had "too much momentum" to be stopped.

Now former Gov. Ben Cayetano plans to put Carlisle's claim to the test, and is running for mayor with the stated intention of killing the $5.27 billion rail project.
    Former two-term Gov. Ben Cayetano
    59.09%
    Incumbent Honolulu Mayor Peter Carlisle
    31.82%
    Former Honolulu Managing Dir. Kirk Caldwell
    4.55%
    None of the above/ some other candidate
    4.55%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by TuNnL; January 23, 2012, 11:30 AM. Reason: hidden html errors

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Who Will You Vote for Honolulu Mayor 2012?

A vote for Carlisle is a vote for rail. A vote for Cayetano is a vote against rail. We've had this vote numerous times and each time in recent years, the people have made their wishes clear. For that reason alone, I am voting for Carlisle.

ps: Okay, 1stwahine. You were right and I was wrong. See? I can admit it!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      A vote for Carlisle is a vote for rail. A vote for Cayetano is a vote against rail.
      IMO partly true. There's a lot more involved and different strategies concerning C&C of Honolulu too, than just that.
      I'm voting for Cayetano.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
        IMO partly true. There's a lot more involved and different strategies concerning C&C of Honolulu too, than just that.
        I'm voting for Cayetano.
        Yes, there are more issues, but if you vote for Cayetano, you ARE voting against rail regardless of how you feel about rail. If you vote for Carlisle, you ARE voting for rail regardless of how you feel about it. If there's ever been a one-issue election in this town, here it is.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I find I am in agreement with Scrivener; Cayetano has made it quite clear that his candidacy is based on opposition to the rail plan. Of course, if elected, he knows he'll have plenty of things to deal with, but he hopes to ride this one issue into that office.

Unions want rail built, so they won't support Cayetano. Will their lack of powerful support be enough to keep him from succeeding?

(As a non-Honolulu resident, I can not vote in the election, so I won't skew this poll either with an outsider's vote.)

Comment

I think there's a few things to consider. Some people take the vote to establish the commission to be "pro-rail". But I know a number of anti-rail people voted for it using the logic, "If we're going to have it, let's do it right".

I don't know as the pro-rail vote is that strong. I don't think it's strong enough for Carlisle and Caldwell to split the vote.

Unless the pro-rail folks can get Caldwell to step aside for this election, then I think Cayetano have a very good chance of winning.

Comment

If there's ever been a one-issue election in this town, here it is.
              Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              I find I am in agreement with Scrivener; Cayetano has made it quite clear that his candidacy is based on opposition to the rail plan. Of course, if elected, he knows he'll have plenty of things to deal with
              And that, Leo, is a very good reason to vote for Cayetano. After all, he does have the most experience “dealing with” those “plenty of things.” I’m sure in the coming weeks and months, Cayetano’s team will be sure to hammer home that point.

I’m glad Ben has thrown his hat in the race. It’s a huge wake-up call for prosecutor-turned “special election” mayor whose arrogance over these last two years has been quite alarming. As for Caldwell, it’s interesting to see how he’s changed his tune from driving Honolulu back into the housing business to more affordable “projects” like soap in the bathrooms at the city bus station. Ahhh, the magic of thinking big.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                The Mayor's Race got front page billing today, with the Star-Advertiser's analysis of former Gov. Ben Cayetano's entry into the contest.

Victory could derail $5.27 billion project
                If the former governor wins and refuses to fund rail transit, money and jobs may disappear

By Kevin Dayton / kdayton@staradvertiser.com
                Oops! Pay Wall!
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Yes, there are more issues, but if you vote for Cayetano, you ARE voting against rail regardless of how you feel about rail. If you vote for Carlisle, you ARE voting for rail regardless of how you feel about it. If there's ever been a one-issue election in this town, here it is.
                  I don't like the way Carlisle does things and how he approaches his job.
                  He's a (Bleep!).

So it's more anti-Carlisle and pro-Cayetano for me!
                  For myself it's more than anti-rail although that in itself is a great reason too!
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    I don't know as the pro-rail vote is that strong. I don't think it's strong enough for Carlisle and Caldwell to split the vote.

Unless the pro-rail folks can get Caldwell to step aside for this election, then I think Cayetano have a very good chance of winning.
                    Gecko, you do know that if if Carlisle, Cayetano, and Caldwell all run strong campaigns, then no chance in hell is anyone going to get over 50% of the vote in the primary election, right? This is not a one-time run-off. Even if say, Cayetano finishes with the highest (but under majority) vote total in August, he will then have to contend with either Carlisle or Caldwell come November.

In other words, Cayetano won't become the mayor because Carlisle and Caldwell "split" the vote. He will end up having to faceoff against one or the other in the general.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Unless, of course, one does get 50%+1 in the first vote.
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

When it comes to the topic of rail for the City and County of Honolulu my stance is would be nice to have and I would wish it was running right now but it won't be the end of the world for me if it doesn't happen.

That being said Cayetano at least has a suggestion on what to do with mass transit instead of rail, like the dedicated bus lanes, something that Harris wanted to do. Now it might have a lower fixed cost to do but in the long run one needs to pay the workers and fuel to run the bus system, which is still need to do if the rail is up and running.

Also Cayetano's stance wants to deal with other issues like sewage that needs to be addressed.

Comment

I'm voting for Ben.

Team Cayetano!

Oh....yeah!
                          Last edited by 1stwahine; December 28, 2012, 07:44 AM.
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                            Unless, of course, one does get 50%+1 in the first vote.
                            With those 3 heavyweights on the ballot? Sure, I guess that could be possible.

About as "possible" as the UH men's basketball team getting to the Final Four this season.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Voting for Cayetano.

I doubt that he can totally stop rail, but I'm hoping he can make sure we don't get stuck with a ridiculously oversized project that will suck this city dry in the years to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X