X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case v. Gabbard

Gabbard staking claim on Case's Congress seat
    Honolulu Advertiser, May 10, 2004
    The race between Rep. Ed Case and Honolulu councilman Mike Gabbard for Case's 2nd Congressional District seat won't be friendly.
    Is Gabbard " a single-issue Republican who views the world through a right-wing extremist prism"? Is Case "an ineffective same-sex marriage supporter posing as a moderate Democrat"? Does the second question give the answer to the first?

I like Case. The fact that he lost his bid for governor just gave him the chance to seek a higher office. And what I've seen so far, I like (urban Honolulu dweller though I am). I have no idea if there are better candidates out there, but speaking personally, I'm pretty sure Gabbard isn't one of them.

Re: Case v. Gabbard

Originally posted by pzarquon
    Gabbard staking claim on Case's Congress seat
    Honolulu Advertiser, May 10, 2004 Is Gabbard "a single-issue Republican who views the world through a right-wing extremist prism"? Is Case "an ineffective same-sex marriage supporter posing as a moderate Democrat"? Does the second question give the answer to the first?

I like Case. The fact that he lost his bid for governor just gave him the chance to seek a higher office. And what I've seen so far, I like (urban Honolulu dweller though I am). I have no idea if there are better candidates out there, but speaking personally, I'm pretty sure Gabbard isn't one of them.
    Hmm, let's see. Since 1971, the 2nd Congressional District has been represented by Dan Akaka, Spark Matsunaga, Patsy Mink, and now Ed Case. Somehow I don't think Mike Gabbard fits in the mold of what CD2 voters are looking for. As another Honolulu townie, I can't vote in this one but I sure can give Case support. I rooted for him for governor, and I'd much rather have him in Congress than Gabbard.

Comment

One Trick Pony.

Comment

I think it's going to be a very close race.

Comment

Case is stepping up his campaign in East Hawaii, with headquarters in the Hilo Shopping Center.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Now that you live out in Mililani, I think that community may be in the 2nd Congressional district. So you may be eligible to vote in this race if you notify the elections office of your new residence. You should have gotten a yellow voter card in the mail a month or so ago. There is a voter registration update postcard that you can send in to notify them of your change of address.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Wow, Mel, thanks! It hadn't even occurred to me. I planned to update my voter registration information now that we've moved, of course, but the fact that it might allow me to cast a vote in this particular race is a great plus.

Comment

Erika Engle's post in a Honolulu Weekly thread reminded me of this unusual letter that Ed Case's campaign sent out, directly challenging Mike Gabbard to "Please Answer Basic Questions About Yourself Now."

I figured I'd pull it up and post it here for the curious. It's basically a resume fact check, some of the questions I never thought to ask but am now very interested in hearing the answers to. It's long so I'll nest it for the impatient. Just click the "Show Spoiler" button for the full text!

July 21, 2004

Dear Mike:

The candidate filing deadline has passed and you are asking over 600,000 of Hawaii's people to represent them in our nation's highest legislative body. I trust you agree that the voters of the Second District are entitled to know exactly who you are, where you come from, what you've done, why you believe you're qualified, and what you propose to do.

You have provided virtually no details on your background, experience, beliefs, qualifications, or accomplishments to date, nor on your positions and proposed actions. You have also declined to talk directly with the media, instead requiring that they e-mail you their questions.

Here are some questions that any voter would want answered and that arise from your campaign literature and other information. Please respond to me with your answers to all at your earliest opportunity.

Background

1. Where and when were you born?

2. Who were your parents and where were they from?

3. You've stated that your father was in the Air Force; what was his rank, and what were his postings and when?

4. Your website implies that your father was a pilot; was he and, if so, what did he pilot?

5. Where did you live growing up and when?

6. What schools did you attend, what high school did you graduate from, and where and when?

7. You've stated that you joined a Catholic seminary at 14; which one, where, and how long did you stay?

8. You've stated that you had a surfing accident at 17; where?

9. You've stated that you tried to enlist in the military in 1965; what branch and where?

10. Since your graduation from high school, where have you lived, when, and what employment have you had during each period?

11. During what years have you lived in Hawaii fulltime and where?

Family

12. How many children do you have?

13. What are their names and ages?

14. Where are they living and what are they doing?

Education

15. You've stated that you have a "BA in English from Sonoma State University”; what years were you enrolled there and when did you receive your degree?

16. You've stated that you have an "MA in Community College Administration from Oregon State University"; what years were you enrolled there and when did you receive your degree?

17. OSU doesn't appear to offer an MA in "Community College Administration"; please confirm the degree you received.

18. What other schools have you attended, and do you have any other educational qualifications?

Experience

19. You've stated that you have "devoted 20 years to education"; at which schools have you worked, during which years, and what were your job titles and responsibilities?

20. You've stated that you're a "longtime educator/teacher"; at which schools have you worked, during which years, and what were your job titles and responsibilities?

21. You've stated that you've "worked with young people as a teacher, guidance counselor, college administrator and coach"; at exactly which schools, during which years, and what were your job titles and responsibilities?

22. You've stated that you were affiliated with the " Ponomauloa School" in Wahiawa; what type of school was that, what years was it in existence, and what were your responsibilities and in what years?

23. You've stated that you "know the challenges of running your own business"; exactly what businesses have you owned or operated, where were they located, and what was your specific role with each and in what years?

24. You've stated that you are a "small business advocate"; exactly when and in what ways?

25. What other business or professional experience do you have?

Religion

26. You have implied that you are or have been a Catholic; are or were you, when, and what church if any do you currently attend?

27. Are you or have you been a follower of the religion sometimes called Vaisnava or Vaishava, and have you worshiped or do you worship Lord Brahma or Lord Vishnu?

28. Do you follow or have you followed the teachings of the Vedas?

29. Are you or have you been a follower of Chris Butler, also referred to as Jagad Guru, Siddha Swarupa Ananda, or Siddhaswarupananda Paramahansa?

30. What is or has been your relationship with any of the Science of Identity Foundation, Identity Institute International, the International Society for Khrishna Consciousness, or Down to Earth Inc.?

Government Experience

31. What specific government experience did you have, and when, prior to your current service on the Honolulu City Council?

32. Did you work for former State Senator Rick Reed?

33. What do you regard as your five primary accomplishments during your year-and-a-half of service on the Honolulu City Council?

34. You've stated that our "major challenges are improving education, protecting our environment, winning the war on terrorism, and strengthening our economy." What exactly have you done to address each such challenge during your service on the Council?

35. You've cited the following as major issues: "a balanced budget; education; national security and the war on terrorism; affordable housing; war on drugs/ice; transportation infrastructure; environmental protection; Native Hawaiian concerns; health and senior care." What exactly have you done to address each such challenge during your service on the Council?

36. You've stated that you have "worked statewide to help combat drugs"; exactly how and when?

Second District Experience

37. During which years have you lived fulltime in the Second Congressional District and where?

38. What specific actions do you cite as providing you with knowledge and experience with respect to the Second Congressional District?

Awards/Recognition

39. What specific awards or recognition have you received, from whom, and when, for your government, community or personal service?

Platform/Proposed Actions

40. You've stated that our "major challenges are improving education, protecting our environment, winning the war on terrorism, and strengthening our economy." What exactly do you propose to do to address each such challenge?

41. You've cited the following as major issues: "a balanced budget; education; national security and the war on terrorism; affordable housing; war on drugs/ice; transportation infrastructure; environmental protection; Native Hawaiian concerns; health and senior care." What exactly do you propose to do to address each such challenge?

42. Exactly what else do you propose to do to represent the people of the Second Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives?

Overall

43. What other details can or will you provide with respect to your qualifications to serve Hawaii's Second Congressional District in the U.S. House?

With aloha,

Ed Case

Comment

Other than the "are you now or have you ever been" tone of the religious questions, none of those strike me as unfair. Good for Ed.
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

That definitely strikes me as where The Point is in the whole exercise... couched in a few "tell us about your daddy" softballs. I don't think they're out of line, though. He invokes Catholicism rather prominently, but then doesn't really say much about how his faith played a role in the years after his teens. The big chapter on the same-sex marriage battle is curiously devoid of the religious angle.

Further reviewing Gabbard's website, there's a correction to one chapter, and notes that several others are incomplete: "More coming soon." Details are remarkably scarce, for would-be fact checkers.

Ed Case's calls for clarification of his experience as an educator are similarly strong, I think, and probably easier to clear up... one hopes. After all, when his wife pulled out of her run for office, she invoked the "Mike as Experience Educator" image quite a bit. I hope it's more than his degree.

He notes his experience as a "teacher, guidance counselor, college administrator, and coach." Surely even a basic CV could give us schools and dates?

Comment

One would think a CV would clear up the employment and education questions, although there've been a few cases in the national news of fraudulent resumes (remember the Notre Dame coach a while back?).

I had a naughty thought this afternoon, speaking of running against Republicans. It occurred to me that if I were running, I'd simply ask this question to my audience:

"My opponent is a member of the same party as GWB, Dick Cheney, John Ashcroft, Tom Delay and Newt Gingrich. Is their philosophy one you want to elect here in Honolulu?"

That's an open-source question, Democrats. If you want it, take it.

Comment

Gabbard wonders if Case himself wrote the letter and Mike Peters, a former legislative aide at the State Capitol, questions Case about his record.

(http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story....4-9ed53d338cfd)

(http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story....4-39be40f832b7)
                        Last edited by BKHale2007; July 31, 2004, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BKHale2007
                          Gabbard wonders if Case himself wrote the letter and Mike Peters, a former legislative aide at the State Capitol, questions Case about his record.

(http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story....4-9ed53d338cfd)

(http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story....4-39be40f832b7)
                          Dear Mr. Gabbard,
                          What's it matter who wrote the letter? The questions are fair and valid; please respond.

Sincerely,
                          The Voters

Comment

Gabbard wonders if Case himself wrote the letter
                            Translation: Gabbard hopes to dodge the questions - questions a taxpayer could have easily asked as well - by coming up with a ridiculous reason not to answer them. The best part is, if Case gives Gabbard a ring (though I doubt he would - I wouldn't), Gabbard will either fail to report it or use it as a launching pad for the next ridiculous excuse ("He didn't say please! Cleary Case is an unprofessional politician who...").

Would he feel better if a constituent rewrote the survey and submitted it again? Sheesh.

Mike Peters, a former legislative aide at the State Capitol, questions Case about his record.
                            Oh, this was my favorite. He reviewed Case's record, point by point, like any good opposition researcher would... completely blind to the fact that the entire basis for his analysis was a call for his candidate to clarify his utter and total lack of any record whatsoever.

It doesn't look good for Gabbard. If it ever did.

Comment

Turns out Case can pick up the latest edition of Honolulu magazine; a lot of those biographical questions are answered in a story there. (Caution: this is the same issue that has the annual restaurant guide, so it feels like Modern Bride when you pick it up.)

Comment

Working...
                              X