Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Methamphetamine

Originally posted by 808_m3
    While stuck in traffic today, I was listening to the radio about this very topic. From what I remember, the discussion was about a particular state, I think it was Oklahoma, that now requires a doctor's perscription for Sudafed, which is an over-the-counter decongestant that contains one of the active ingredients in crystal meth. Supposedly, this restriction has helped curbed some of the crystal meth issues in the state.

Do you think this would help derail the meth issues in Hawaii?
    Wow..THAT explains alot for me. Growing up on Long Island, I had really bad allergies that would come in the month of May, and last about 5-6 weeks. Pollen was my worst kryptonite, but that time of the year use to debilitate me with sneezing, runny nose, red, watery eyes...

I had it up until the age of about 30, then it started to mysteriously disappear. I used to take Sudafed to help, and if I took too many in the recommended time frame I would speed out furiously, just tweaking...I HATED the feeling. I always remember this feeling when people talk about Speed because I thought to myself, if its anything like those sudafed jitters, I would just HATE it. I imagined it was way worse, so I never tried it.

Now you're telling me this? Crazy.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by JamezD
      There is something new that's available on O'ahu which can be done for your friend which helps people deal with the physical cravings of meth. jdorsey@sbcglobal.net

Mahalo, jim
      I applaud your efforts! Anything that tries to stop the Madness of Ice and Substance Abuse deserves recognition. I am personally affected by ICE. It almost ruined my Life. Thank God, my sweetie was caught in time and is now in Drug Court. Yes, he was incarcerated and did his time. Any treatment that can alter the cravings and make an addict become the person he/she once was is a blessing.

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
        ...nobody is willing to embrace the solution because of the last 65 years of brainwashing.

Legalizing drugs would remove the stigma, which would open up more people to the idea of treatment, reduce the prices, which would reduce the impetus for crime, generate millions of dollars, both in law enforcement savings AND taxation.

But in America, we have a medical problem that we choose to solve with a criminal solution ... Drug Laws are the pinnacle of cognitive dissonance.
        Because the ingredients for meth can be purchased at any corner drugstore and people are primarily making it in their kitchens and bathtubs, I doubt legalizing this particular drug would have much impact. Marijuana and cocaine however, which have to be grown by farmers (or fledgling horticulturalists) would be significantly reduced in price since backyard operations are currently mostly avoided due to Operation Green Harvest, satellite map imagery, etc. Just ask Big Island advocate Jonathan Adler.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Portland does claim to be a "meth capital"... I'm not sure what it means. Our big paper here (Oregonian) did this huge set of articles about meth, and it pushed a bunch of lawmakers into a frenzy. They passed multiple laws about Sudafed (or I should say, pseudophedrine based medications) and now it's basically impossible to buy unless you have a prescription... which really sucks for those of us who it helps allergy-wise. Another paper here did an expose later on the Oregonian's "expose" and discovered that our meth problem is not any better or worse than any other major city, someone just got a bee in their bonnet and made it a big scandal. And that most of the meth cookers just drive over to WA or buy it over the internet now. Much easier and even more underground for them.

The cold remedies here that are sold over the counter are now all using other drugs. I guess that's a good thing in the long run if it has the same anti-allergy effects.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
            Because the ingredients for meth can be purchased at any corner drugstore and people are primarily making it in their kitchens and bathtubs...
            And the idiots who keep making it in their kitchens and bathtubs put at risk their neighbors. The fumes are deadly. The contents itself can cause explosions enough to flatten a whole city block in some cases. It is deadly even when not inhaled. The innocent are the ones who keep being victims time and time again.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

In order to be in favor of the War on Drugs, you must also acknowledge that Prohibition after WW1 was good social policy. You can't find many differences in the underlying laws and social effects that exist with both.

The difference today is that alcohol & cigarrettes do not generate much crime, and cost very little to acquire. The health effects are nonetheless devastating. Just like any drug use.

If an addictive substance is prohibited by law, the only people not allowed to participate in or control the supply is the government itself. Demand will always cause Supply - basic economic-sociology.

Another facet of the cognitive dissonance that is the War on Drugs.

PS - the only way to get it out of the bathtub of your downstair neighbor is to take away his profit motive, or his usage motive. Both could be accomplished if it were legal and available like alcohol, perhaps a little more controlled.
              Last edited by timkona; September 9, 2006, 11:27 AM.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Are you saying to make All Illegal Drugs Legal?

Tim, das what I'm getting from your post.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I can't stop here. This is a thorn in my side, socially speaking.

You cannot LOGICALLY argue a case for the War on Drugs when history, and present day reality, both clearly show that prohibition based laws for addictive substances result in social chaos.

There are many good logical arguments why legalizing drugs would be beneficial to society at many levels.

Takes the cooker out of the apartments.
                  Makes it easier to identify abusers and help them.
                  Reduces supply costs such that the profit motive is eliminated from the small sector.
                  Theft reduction based on lower prices and increased ease of acquisition & supply.

If it's all legal, would you start?
                  Chances are if you use, the laws don't stop you.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

.If it's all legal, would you start?
                    Chances are if you use, the laws don't stop you.
                    Tim, I used. I stopped because of the Law. I didn't get caught. I was fortunate. I didn't want to go to jail. I stopped. I have no regrets. I can't even remember why I did it or how it tasted. I can't remember how it felt. All I remember is that I almost lost the love and respect of my children.

If it was legal, would I start again? Hell no!!! No way!

I've got my grandchildren as natural highs. Lots of beauty in this World and especially lots of Aloha in Hawai'i to share and give!

Auntie Lynn

Btw: This month I make five years clean!
                    Last edited by 1stwahine; September 9, 2006, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Everybody wails over the tragedy of drug destruction. But nobody is willing to embrace the solution because of the last 65 years of brainwashing.

Legalizing drugs would remove the stigma, which would open up more people to the idea of treatment, reduce the prices, which would reduce the impetus for crime, generate millions of dollars, both in law enforcement savings AND taxation.

But in America, we have a medical problem that we choose to solve with a criminal solution.

Might as well let cops perform heart surgery.

Drug Laws are the pinnacle of cognitive dissonance.
                      Are you seriously suggesting legalizing methamphetamines?

Comment

I'm honestly curious. I don't mean to cause any problems and I really don't want to encourage anyone to try illegal drugs and especially one as addictive as ice. But what does it feel like to be on ice? It must really be something if people are willing to drive their lives to ruin (or close to it).

Comment

The difference today is that alcohol & cigarrettes do not generate much crime, and cost very little to acquire.
                          I don't agree with what t/k is saying above with all the DUI's and Kids Smoking underage illegally. Cost of a good 12 pack ~ $15.00 Cost of a Carton of Cigarettes ~ $45.00
                          cost of Meth... dunno... but I heard it's cheap!

I think what TK was trying to say... is to "De-criminalize" Drugs in general educate and regulate... do things to help current addicts.

He does have some valid points about decreasing crime....etc.

I say if any drug should be decriminalized it should be Pot. Put the Methheads on some pot and let them mellow out!
                          Last edited by damontucker; September 9, 2006, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
                            I'm honestly curious. I don't mean to cause any problems and I really don't want to encourage anyone to try illegal drugs and especially one as addictive as ice. But what does it feel like to be on ice? It must really be something if people are willing to drive their lives to ruin (or close to it).
                            Adri, It's good to be curious and wonder what drives a person to want to try and use drugs. For me it was a combination of being depressed of losing my late husband of twenty years. Someone said to me, "Here smoke dis. It will take away all your problems." I said earlier today...I didn't remember. I was telling the truth. Now, I do remember. I just had a flash back.

I remember that first hit. I remember how the smoked engulfed my body and mind. It did take away my pain and misery. It wasn't Meth. I was a Crack Cocaine Addict for two years. I remember looking on the ground thinking every rock or stone was a piece of crack that I dropped or someone else had dropped. I remember how I punched out dealers for a hit or other users for a hit. It brought out a monster in me. I was Ugly. It is a past I can not escape from because I want others to learn from my mistake. Thank you for asking.

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                            I say if any drug should be decriminalized it should be Pot. Put the Methheads on some pot and let them mellow out!
                            Manoa, It's so easy for someone who can call those addicted to Meth, "Methheads!" Until you know what they are and have gone through do not put them down. They are ill. They struggle their own Demons. No one is an Angel. Everyone has skeletons in their closets.

Auntie Lynn
                            Last edited by 1stwahine; September 9, 2006, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the props Manoa. The evidence sorta speaks for itself.

Yes, I'm talking about ALL drugs.....pot, heroin, coke, meth, acid, mushrooms, etc.

The biggest problem is the emotional reaction that most people have when this touchy subject is brought up. It is the by-product of many, many years of propagandized brainwashing with the government using a compliant media.

Emotional reactions almost always discount or ignore any facts, history, or logical arguments that could be associated with changing one's mind. The mind is a powerful thing. Auntie Lynn truly believes that she quit because of the law. I think she quit because she wanted to, and she was powerful enough, mentally, to do it. But emotions can rule logic, even in the brightest minds. "Some of my beliefs are false." Understand the essence of that sentence, and your mind will be set free to soar again.

Removing the impetus for crime, and the stigma of shame from the issue of drugs is the only way to solve the problem.

Much of Europe has realized this. Crime stats prove it without question.

There are no logical arguments, that hold any water whatsoever, for the War on Drugs.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

I did stop because of The Law!!!

I did not want to be in Prison because I had too much to lose. God and My children came first more than cocaine.

Today, I am Free from my Demons!

Now, I go to feed my friends at KauKau Wagon!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X