Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Honolulu Municipal Building to be named after Fasi

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
    Reading comprehension's a pain in the okole, ain't it...
    Only when I'm loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
      What about F.A.R.T.? He nevah get dat one done in record time. He still nevah tell us why Rene Mansho wen vote no in ’92. Some of us heard his most recent campaign promise to “reveal the real reason she voted the way she did.”

Takes a crook to know a crook, eh, Frank?
      Actually Fasi's FART system (yeah no joke) fell prey to politics as did his convention center. His political power was waning when both projects failed. Hmmm wasn't Jeremy Harris his managing director during one of his terms as Mayor?

And the political records will show why Rene Mansho voted against the rail system. As we all remember she was the swing vote and according to her position on the rail system, she was in favor of it. However when the revised planned route for the rail excluded her district, many of her constituents indicated that it no longer benefitted their interests and during one of their neighborhood meetings the majority of those attending voted against backing the rail project. Rene Mansho simply did her job by representing her district appropriately and voted accordingly.

She did what every elected politician should do...represent the wishes of her district.

I know it's hard for some of us on this board to understand how good Frank Fasi was for Honolulu considering his crookedness. However for those of us who were around when he was our beloved mayor of Honolulu, he did a lot for us and he had the balls to stand up to labor unions, something Harris never learned from him as second in command.

Fasi had a charisma that a lot of people liked. He was a man of the people driving around town in his minivan with the shaka sign proudly painted on it's side. He went out and shook hands with the common folks and that had a lot of appeal.

I truly believe Frank Fasi's name should be the name for the muni building. He's done a lot for Honolulu, a lot more than Les Murakami did for the University of Hawaii. He deserves this.

Mayor Harris? Well his legacy was the almost half million dollar comfort station he built over a razed and perfectly good bathroom on Paki street in Kapiolani BLVD...Oh yeah he beautified Waikiki.

I guess I shouldn't rant on Harris too much. When I worked for the Gas Company, my boss came in while I was on lunch and he gave me this project sheet to have "massive quantities" of gas regulators tested and ready for the crews to install on all the tiki torches that was to run along Kalakaua from Lewers to the Kapahulu groin. He said Mayor Harris had pushed to have that entire length of Waikiki lit up with torches in short order.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Wow this thread is a winner . A couple of points... Yes Jeremy Harris was his managing director and became mayor as a result of Fasi's desire to be guv (the result of the Leg. getting sick of Fasi running for governor over and over again using Honolulu COUNTY resources, so they made it so he had to resign to run). When Fasi lost and came asking for his old office back, big surprise, Harris wasn't very keen to give it back. I agree that while Fasi is one crooked, influence-peddling, bribe-accepting, self-stylized king of honolulu.... he got things done and generally got them done well and relatively on the cheap.

And now for Mansho.... It's hard to have much respect for a politician who can't tell the difference between lobbying and bribery. I think there's considerable doubt as to whether her constituents got her to stop the rail system. If anything it was stopped because the interests that were giving Ms. Mansho free stuff (electric cars, trips, etc.) wanted her to stop it. She was a BOUGHT politician and her true constituents sure as sh_t didn't live in her district.

My main issue with the naming ordinance is that the ONLY people that can have city property named after them while living are former mayors and councilmembers, chuckleheads that they are.
        Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        Actually Fasi's FART system (yeah no joke) fell prey to politics as did his convention center. His political power was waning when both projects failed. Hmmm wasn't Jeremy Harris his managing director during one of his terms as Mayor?

And the political records will show why Rene Mansho voted against the rail system. As we all remember she was the swing vote and according to her position on the rail system, she was in favor of it.....
        Jewlipino

Comment

Well Frank Fasi is our "Former" mayor so by your definition he should be allowed to have his name on a City building right?

As being bought out by special interests, it's widely known that Rene Mansho's district simply changed their minds after the project was rerouted leaving her district out of the transit plan. Whether she was bought out or not the neighborhood meetings voiced their objections over the rail project and she as their representative had no choice but to vote against it. I believe it was all over the papers when her vote came out...no big secret here.

And yes Frank Fasi is/was a crook, but it took the likes of former Mayor Eileen Anderson and former President Jimmy Carter that you can't run a clean government and expect to get anything done. Politics is like organized crime, it's there for protection but man does it have a rotten core.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Whether she was bought out or not the neighborhood meetings voiced their objections over the rail project and she as their representative had no choice but to vote against it. I believe it was all over the papers when her vote came out...no big secret here.
            (emphasis added)

A bit OT, but since Craig you have said this twice, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with your point that her choice was inevitable. I would agree that an elected official should reflect the consensus of her constituents, especially in those instances when they don’t have a better idea.

But I hope my elected officials have a brain, and I expect them to use it! I take my idea from a quote I read by Edmund Burke, a member of the British parliament (1774) who said in part, “Your Representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.”

I would like my elected official to sit through the hours or mind numbing hearings, do the additional fact finding as necessary, solicit community comments and (hopefully) come to a thoughtful decision. If community opinion was the only thing that mattered, we might as well install voting boxes in homes and be done with our elected officials.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretender
              I take my idea from a quote I read by Edmund Burke, a member of the British parliament (1774) who said in part, “Your Representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.”

I would like my elected official to sit through the hours or mind numbing hearings, do the additional fact finding as necessary, solicit community comments and (hopefully) come to a thoughtful decision. If community opinion was the only thing that mattered, we might as well install voting boxes in homes and be done with our elected officials.
              Here's your chiclet; I am in agreement with you.

Comment

so frank is still alive?

Comment

Alive yes, don't know if he retired from politics or not.

If he has retired from politics then I don't got a problem with naming the building after him

Comment

Originally posted by Pretender
                    (emphasis added)

A bit OT, but since Craig you have said this twice, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with your point that her choice was inevitable. I would agree that an elected official should reflect the consensus of her constituents, especially in those instances when they don’t have a better idea.

But I hope my elected officials have a brain, and I expect them to use it! I take my idea from a quote I read by Edmund Burke, a member of the British parliament (1774) who said in part, “Your Representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.”

I like what you said too!

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

.............Me too!

Comment

.....I.... agrEEE!

Comment

... great! thanks ...for sharing!!!

Comment

And the political records will show why Rene Mansho voted against the rail system ... when the revised planned route for the rail excluded her district, many of her constituents indicated that it no longer benefitted their interests and during one of their neighborhood meetings the majority of those attending voted against backing the rail project. Rene Mansho simply did her job by representing her district appropriately and voted accordingly.
                            Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Craig. I will definitely do some research to see if she indeed promised her constituents she would change her vote to please them, or if this is just an after-the-fact excuse.

The Chamber of Commerce, on the other hand, and for the record, cites Mansho as having a different reason for voting no. Check out their website:

New mass transit system is essential for traversable Oahu

Rail transit has been proposed for Oahu for decades but was rejected in 1982 and again in 1992, when then-Councilwoman Rene Mansho cast the swing vote, explaining that she "didn't fully understand" it.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Those broken fountains in Waikiki that Harris put in should be named after him.... I wonder how much money C&C blew on those non-working, mis-designed, wastes-of-space

Jewlipino

Comment

Originally posted by Jewlipino
                                Those broken fountains in Waikiki that Harris put in should be named after him.... I wonder how much money C&C blew on those non-working, mis-designed, wastes-of-space

Jewlipino
                                Please don't forget da Restrooms = Harrises!!!!!!

Auntie Lynn
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X