The Race to Replace Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ed Case's congressional seat

Had to laugh at bruddah Kawananakoa. Went out on "health problems", then was never heard from again until he crash landed his ultralite paraglider in Hauula hills.

Does anyone else see the irony here?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      Wow. Wouldn't that be too cool, though? Imagine having an ali'i representing the people of Hawai'i again. I hope that he has his medical conditions under control now.

Miulang
      From Amelia Gora's research;

“Princess Abigail Kinoiki Kekaulike Kawananakoa is the great grand niece of King David Kalakaua and Queen Kapiolani and the granddaughter of Prince David Laamea Kawananakoa and Abigail Wahiikaahuula Campbell. Her mother, Lydia Kamakaeha Liliuokalani Kawananakoa, in keeping with ancient hanai adoption, allowed the infant princess to be raised from an early age by her grandmother as a punahele child in the regal atmosphere of Hawaiian nobility. This upbringing has enriched her cultural perspective of the legacy of the monarchy. Furthermore, Princess Abigail Kinoiki Kekaulike Kawananakoa’s genealogy has been recognized by the Royal Order of Kamehameha.”

Note that the Kawananakoa's might be decendants of alii but they are NOT direct decendants of the Kamehamehas, NOT Kalakaua's and NOT Liliuokalani's.

Deyz Couzins.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
        From Amelia Gora's research;

“Princess Abigail Kinoiki Kekaulike Kawananakoa is the great grand niece of King David Kalakaua and Queen Kapiolani and the granddaughter of Prince David Laamea Kawananakoa and Abigail Wahiikaahuula Campbell. Her mother, Lydia Kamakaeha Liliuokalani Kawananakoa, in keeping with ancient hanai adoption, allowed the infant princess to be raised from an early age by her grandmother as a punahele child in the regal atmosphere of Hawaiian nobility. This upbringing has enriched her cultural perspective of the legacy of the monarchy. Furthermore, Princess Abigail Kinoiki Kekaulike Kawananakoa’s genealogy has been recognized by the Royal Order of Kamehameha.”

Note that the Kawananakoa's might be decendants of alii but they are NOT direct decendants of the Kamehamehas, NOT Kalakaua's and NOT Liliuokalani's.

Deyz Couzins.
        Eh cuz is good enough foa me! Moa betta den some of dem odda candidates who tinking of running. At least he can trace his roots back to a Kauai branch of ali'i. I found the following on Wikipedia about the House of Kawananakoa:
        "...A collateral branch of the reigning House of Kalakaua (from Kauai island) and descendants of e.g chiefs of Waimea (on Hawaii island), the dynastic line was established by Prince David Kawananakoa who was declared to be in the line of royal succession through a proclamation of King David Kalakaua. Kawananakoa was allegedly affianced to Princess Victoria Kaiulani (a girl with a lot of alleged fiancées), who would have become a monarch in her own right upon the death of Queen Liliuokalani had she not predeceased her.

David Kawananakoa's paternal ancestry comes from a cadet branch of Kauai royal family. The paternal grandmother was an aunt of King Kalakaua I and Queen Liliuokalani, which makes the Kawananakoa the closest surviving collateral relatives of the Kalakaua reigning house. The said grandmother descended, besides from the ancient line of chiefs of Kauai, also from the chief of Kau, a great-uncle of king Kamehameha I...."

"...Listed below are the declared Kawananakoa heirs presumptive of the throne of Hawaii, past and present. Should the Hawaiian sovereignty movement succeed in the reinstitution of the Hawaiian monarchy, the heir presumptive would be declared monarch with the mandate of a plebiscite and constitution. The line split into two with the childless death of Edward D. Kawananakoa, as his father had claimed that Abigail (see below), the elder daughter of his wife, was not his progeny; however, as the Princess Lydia's daughter (also called Abagail), who spearheaded the restoration of the Palace and created great controversy when she allowed a LIFE magazine photographer to take a picture of her seated on the throne, never had any children and is now beyond childbearing years, that branch of the family is, effectively, extinct.

David Kawananakoa (1868-1908)
        Edward D. Kawananakoa
        Abigail Kawananakoa (1882-1945) or (rival) Lydia Kawananakoa
        Edward A. Kawananakoa (1924-1997) or (rival) Kinoike Kekaulike Kawananakoa
        Quentin Kawananakoa (1961-Present) "

So of the current lineage, it looks like Quentin is it...

Miulang
        Last edited by Miulang; April 21, 2006, 08:00 AM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Um. But is being related in any way to some prominent family much of a basis for a campaign, or for a voter's vote? I mean, independent of Quentin here, or Hawaiian lineage, we've seen familial ties exploited both for and against candidates in political campaigns on all levels, including national (like our dear leader).

I suppose my own question is answered in that plenty of people get elected because of their relatives. But speaking for myself I'd try not to make it a consideration in choosing who to vote for... and if it was a factor, those family ties would be better weighed as a liability than a benefit.

Seems everyone knows Quentin's name. But as for his politics, I'm less familiar with his views and past performance in office. It sounds like part of the basis for this whole "descendant of {x}" conversation is the presumption that Quentin would be a voice for native Hawaiians. Is that borne out by his political record? (It may very well be, I just don't know.)

When it comes to succeeding Case, I'd like to think a bit more on who might make a good match in the House alongside Abercrombie. Both someone who would work with him well, but also... balance out some of the traits and habits of the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Um. But is being related in any way to some prominent family much of a basis for a campaign, or for a voter's vote? I mean, independent of Quentin here, or Hawaiian lineage, we've seen familial ties exploited both for and against candidates in political campaigns on all levels, including national (like our dear leader).

I suppose my own question is answered in that plenty of people get elected because of their relatives. But speaking for myself I'd try not to make it a consideration in choosing who to vote for... and if it was a factor, those family ties would be better weighed as a liability than a benefit.

Seems everyone knows Quentin's name. But as for his politics, I'm less familiar with his views and past performance in office. It sounds like part of the basis for this whole "descendant of {x}" conversation is the presumption that Quentin would be a voice for native Hawaiians. Is that borne out by his political record? (It may very well be, I just don't know.)

When it comes to succeeding Case, I'd like to think a bit more on who might make a good match in the House alongside Abercrombie. Both someone who would work with him well, but also... balance out some of the traits and habits of the guy.
            Don't get me wrong, Ryan. I'm not saying that anyone should vote for a candidate just because of that person's political or familial affiliation (but isn't that the same as a "down the line" Democrat or Republican voting only for the candidates of his/her party regardless of their qualifications?). I was just musing over how poetically justified it would be if a presumptive heir to the throne of Hawai'i WERE given the opportunity to represent the people of Hawai'i! The proof would be in Quentin's past track legislative track record (did he faithfully represent the interests of his constituents).

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
              Had to laugh at bruddah Kawananakoa. Went out on "health problems", then was never heard from again until he crash landed his ultralite paraglider in Hauula hills.

Does anyone else see the irony here?
              You forgot to mention his past "medication" problems, the punishment from which I hope he has learned some lessons and become a better person. Musta also been kinda embarrassing to be sliding down that hill after bouncing a few times on the ground. An allegory for the human condition? ("You gotta get bounced around a few times to know what kind of character you have"? )

Miulang
              Last edited by Miulang; April 21, 2006, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                Voting for someone only because of his ethnicity is just plain stupid. But voters have done it often. The idea that Quentin speaks for all Hawaiians just 'cause he's one of them is like the idea that I agree with Stan Koki, or Marcus Oshiro, or Dennis Arakaki, or Maile Shimabukuro, just because they're Okinawan like me.

Comment

When you look at what comprises the 2nd Congressional District, though, and the electorate in that district (i.e., everywhere in the State but Honolulu), it IS conceivable that a candidate (who presents himself as representing the "little people" who generally don't have as much clout as people in the big city), like Kawananakoa or someone like him could very well pull it off. It's going to be an interesting race, nonetheless.

Found out something else that I thought was kinda interesting about who can run: Hawai'i State law says a candidate doesn't have to live in the district for which he is seeking office, and that Ed Case took advantage of that law to get elected. Seems kinda odd that voters wouldn't want someone who lived in their district to represent them.

Miulang

Comment

David Kawananakoa (1868-1908)
                    Edward D. Kawananakoa
                    Abigail Kawananakoa (1882-1945) or (rival) Lydia Kawananakoa
                    Edward A. Kawananakoa (1924-1997) or (rival) Kinoike Kekaulike Kawananakoa
                    Quentin Kawananakoa (1961-Present) "

So of the current lineage, it looks like Quentin is it...

Miulang
                    Not exactly. However, he's the only one that's running for public office. The rest of the bunch are currently content to live relatively quiet existences.
                    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                      Not exactly. However, he's the only one that's running for public office. The rest of the bunch are currently content to live relatively quiet existences.
                      Eh Jonah, you tink Quentin wrote that Wikipedia article? heheheh

Miulang

Comment

Eh Jonah, you tink Quentin wrote that Wikipedia article? heheheh

Miulang
                        Knowing him, probably not. However, most folks seem to forget that Quentin has some siblings (Ed, David, Pi'ikoi, and Regina, along with a few step-siblings) and quite a few cousins who have an equal or greater ali'i lineage.

Comment

Quentin Kawananakoa announced his bid to run today! He is fit to run!

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news...53/detail.html

Auntie Alyn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Thanks Aunty Lynn, for that link. Apparently Mahealani Richardson is the only one who knows what Quentin is up to these days (besides counting the endless wads of cash he receives as as Campbell Estate heir). Towards the end of her live report she mentions he is a commissioner on the Hawaiian Homes Commission. I can see why.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

You're welcome. heheheh

I was laughing when I was watching the video myself cause I'm the complete opposite of him...totally. Well, I do still suffer from you know what. If was running foa dis particular office (cough,cough) get till July 25th, I no moa wads of Cash coming to me every month. But I sure as hell can do some representing in Washington! I can give Whacks Whacks!

Joke

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                                Apparently Mahealani Richardson is the only one who knows what Quentin is up to these days (besides counting the endless wads of cash he receives as as Campbell Estate heir). Towards the end of her live report she mentions he is a commissioner on the Hawaiian Homes Commission. I can see why.
                                Mahealani Richardson's not the only one that knows what Q's been up to. For the most part, he's been a devoted husband and doting father for the past few years. This current run for Congress is an extension of that....
                                http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...604230355.html

Comment

Working...
                                X