Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Race to Replace Case

Originally posted by anapuni808
    He needs a lot more "seasoning" before he is ready to take on Congress! Maybe this will be a learning experience for him - I hope so because he does have many good qualities and he has done a decent job as a representative for this district. I personally think he should have used his ambition in a little more reasonable manner & run for state senate first. This run for congress in a very crowded field of much more experienced candidates can use up a lot of political "good will" that he has earned during his time as a state rep. He may need that good will in his next endeavors. and I'm sure he will be back in politics in a couple of years.
    I agree with that assessment of Schatz. There are some other candidates out there that probably need more "seasoning" as well, but I won't mention any names.

Originally posted by anapuni808
    as a side remark regarding Quentin Kawananakoa - he is not considered the "heir" of the family. That honor belongs to his older brother, David. If you ever see any of the events at `Iolani Palace, you will see that David is the one honored - not Quentin.
    Technically, David is Quentin's half-brother. Dudie's (Edward A's) first wife, Lila, bore him three children: Regina, Edward J., and David. Dudie's second wife, Carolyn, bore him two children: Quentin and Andrew (or "Pi'ikoi"). When Dudie passed away in 1997, Regina was overlooked because of her gender (although she's the oldest), Edward J. was incapable of being "heir" and David pretty much "renounced his rights" in favor of Quentin (who's more ambitious). For many events where representation by the 'ohana is required, David often fills the role of "heir." While Pi'ikoi could probably also fill the role of "heir", he's relatively low-key and is currently content dabbling in real estate on the Big Island and elsewhere.
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
      David pretty much "renounced his rights" in favor of Quentin (who's more ambitious). For many events where representation by the 'ohana is required, David often fills the role of "heir." While Pi'ikoi could probably also fill the role of "heir", he's relatively low-key and is currently content dabbling in real estate on the Big Island and elsewhere.
      David is pretty "low-key" too. His main interest is his 38' fishing boat, on which he does charters out of Heeia Kea. More fun than representing the family at 'functions'.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Any thoughts on the new Brian Schatz television ad? It basically says, "Iraq is our top priority, because without cleaning up that mess, we can't fix anything else." Like education, the environment, social security... I love that he comes right out and jabs Bush for his "tough-guy act."

Having last interacted with him when the topic was traffic control in Makiki, it's interesting hearing him speaking out forcefully on a national issue.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

Having last interacted with him when the topic was traffic control in Makiki, it's interesting hearing him speaking out forcefully on a national issue.
          He's probably doing it because he knows the general national consensus about the occupation of Iraq is now unfavorable, so it's safe for him to say things like that. I would worry, however, if that's his main plank in his platform...what is he saying he can do for his constituents DIRECTLY? Granted, getting out of Iraq will save us dollars and lives, but that's way more abstract than saying something about helping to bring in federal dollars to help public schools or grants to provide affordable housing for people in Hawai'i.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Any thoughts on the new Brian Schatz television ad? It basically says, "Iraq is our top priority, because without cleaning up that mess, we can't fix anything else." Like education, the environment, social security... I love that he comes right out and jabs Bush for his "tough-guy act."

It looked like he was speaking his mind and not reading from cue cards...

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
              It looked like he was speaking his mind and not reading from cue cards...
              I don't really hold it against someone for using cue cards. I'd find them useful (if I remembered them) when changing the message on my answering machine.

It ain't my district, so I haven't voted in the poll. I wonder if the news of the day about gas prices and where they'd be had the cap still been in effect might give Menor a bump.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Wow, interesting. Just 11 days until the big debate, and none of these candidates have any real lead in our hawaiithreads.com poll. I’m thinking this debate could potentially have as much impact on the race as the Case-Akaka debate is expected to have on their’s.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

There's a bunch of debates and forums scheduled, including one tomorrow night at 6:30 in Kapolei that will be televised live by KHNL (Ch. 8).

See:
                  http://hawaiidemocrats.org

Comment

raatz, as far as I can tell, the single event you have referred to is a forum. (and a weird “speed dating” one at that) I think most undecided voters are looking for bonafide debates to make a decision. I could be wrong. But the “speed campaigning” thingy at Kapolei sounds like a joke. I don’t think people are setting their VCRs.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                      I think most undecided voters are looking for bonafide debates to make a decision. I could be wrong. But the “speed campaigning” thingy at Kapolei sounds like a joke.
                      Howard Dashefsky and Joann Shin seem to like speed dating (of the political variety, that is):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CAeo1N3tv4c

I hear what you're saying about the value of actual debates. But it's sort of hard to have the Lincoln-Douglas style when there are 13 candidates. I'll be interested to see how the KGMB debate works. Thanks for calling attention to it.

Comment

Well, I caught a little of the “speed dating” candidate forum on News8. It seemed like a good idea, having peeps from the community in a friendly little circle.

I feel like we were a little cheated though, since it’s really hard to concentrate on what these guys are saying when the sound is so bad. I think it was all nat sound. Very unprofessional on KHNL’s part. What, only Howard Dashefsky gets a mic? Kinda selfish don’t you think?

Oh well. Here’s some results of who people who watched from home thought did the best. (Results from KHNL website)

Hanalei Aiopoalani 5%

Nestor Garcia 1%

Colleen Hanabusa 14%

Clayton Hee 4%

Mazie Hirono 13%

Gary Hooser 7%

Matt Matsunaga 34%

Ron Menor 4%

Brian Schatz 14%

Joe Zuiker 4%

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Uh, I'd guess that those results simply reflect that only one campaign somehow got tipped off that there would be an online poll.

Online polls are meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                            Well, I caught a little of the “speed dating” candidate forum on News8. It seemed like a good idea, having peeps from the community in a friendly little circle.

I feel like we were a little cheated though, since it’s really hard to concentrate on what these guys are saying when the sound is so bad. I think it was all nat sound. Very unprofessional on KHNL’s part. What, only Howard Dashefsky gets a mic? Kinda selfish don’t you think?

Oh well. Here’s some results of who people who watched from home thought did the best. (Results from KHNL website)

Hanalei Aiopoalani 5%

Nestor Garcia 1%

Colleen Hanabusa 14%

Clayton Hee 4%

Mazie Hirono 13%

Gary Hooser 7%

Matt Matsunaga 34%

Ron Menor 4%

Brian Schatz 14%

Joe Zuiker 4%
                            Sorry TunNl -

I must disagree with this...

For what it was... the coverage was great... a first in it's kind here in Hawaii and props need to be given to those that did it.

It's very rare that you are able to see candidates in the "raw".

Comment

Originally posted by raatz
                              Uh, I'd guess that those results simply reflect that only one campaign somehow got tipped off that there would be an online poll.
                              Either that, or only one campaign chose to coordinate a “speed voting” session to skew the results.
                              Originally posted by raatz
                              Online polls are meaningless.
                              This I would completely disagree with. For instance, the online polls on hawaiithreads.com gives us a snapshot on what the people who wala‘au on this website think. We know what KHNL meant to do with their poll, but it may or may not have been accurate. There’s no way to know.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Wow, recent UH journalism grad writing for the Big Island paper already. Good for her. Good coverage on the 2nd Congressional District candidates as they take it to the heart of their constituency: the outer islands.

Thirteen candidates vie for seat in Congress

Stances on issues mostly along party lines

by Lisa Huynh
                                West Hawaii Today
                                lhuynh@westhawaiitoday.com

USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X