Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Statehood Day Holiday

Originally posted by anapuni808
    Also, the "Republic of Texas" did not have international recognition as an independent, nation state under international law. ... Also, Texas could be legally annexed since its territory was within the continental boundaries of the US.
    I don't really know the technical details (probably forgot 'em after all this time ) but Texas was originally its own republic for a few years. And it was more or less stolen from the Mexicans (and they, from the Amer. Indians). But yeah, the situation is pretty different, which is kinda the point I was trying to make anyway. Some people earlier were comparing continental separatists with Hawai'i.

Originally posted by konaguy
    As a longtime kama'aina, I'm deeply concerned by all the problems facing Hawaii.In my opinion, the future of Hawaii is very bleak unless major changes are made.
    To bring this back to the thread a bit, I think that is part of the idea behind the full sovereignty movement (i.e. not being a state anymore). Some of the problem is caused by the fact that as a US state Hawai'i has no (very little?) say over immigration and land buying. I guess people could still move, become residents, and continue to pave over though...

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
      Some people earlier were comparing continental separatists with Hawai'i.

I was one of them, and was promptly slapped down by Kamuelakea. If you dig a little deeper, you will find that Mexican and Native American groups were combining forces and marching together. You can reach out, and you may find allies, or you can exclude everyone without the right "blood quotient" and go it alone, with predictable results.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina
        I was one of them, and was promptly slapped down by Kamuelakea. If you dig a little deeper, you will find that Mexican and Native American groups were combining forces and marching together. You can reach out, and you may find allies, or you can exclude everyone without the right "blood quotient" and go it alone, with predictable results.
        One could also explore the history, the successes and the failures of the separatists in Canada's province of Quebec. They have not achieved independence at this point, yet they have created powerful national and provincial political parties, in the Parti Quebecois and the Bloc Quebecois, and have influenced many decisions at the federal level, to the province's advantage.

Comment

I think the answer to gaining political power is by getting involved and getting elected. Leo's example in Canada seems to be led by some realistic people.

Did I see a Kawananakoa sign running for some office?
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
            Many went off track here, but most of these posts can be traced to the motivations of those who side with the Slomites and those who side with the native Hawaiian activists. Your post, I think can honestly be branded 100 percent off topic.
            Whatever, you don't have to act like a jerk about it. I was making an observation, which you obviously did not like. You had to not right to slam me the way you did. Next time if you don't like what I have say
            put me on ignore and I'll do likewise.
            Last edited by Konaguy; August 29, 2006, 03:50 PM.
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
              Whatever, you don't have to act like a jerk about it.
              Okay, next time I’ll give you a big wet kiss and buy you a drink. Your post was still off topic and I'm sure there’s another thread where your comments would have been more appropriate. I’m not going to apologize when I didn’t say anything offensive. I feel bad that you took it the wrong way, if that makes you feel better.

I’m trying to keep us on track and follow some very informative and valuable discussion, particularly what anapuni and timkona have had to offer lately, so reading your “totally from left field comments” is really distracting. That’s just IMHO.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Whatever, you don't have to act like a jerk about it. I was making an observation, which you obviously did not like. You had to not right to slam me the way you did. Next time if you don't like what I have say
                put me on ignore and I'll do likewise.
                Well, Aaron, ya did say:
                I know I'll get flamed for this, but I'll say it anyway.
                so you can't claim that you are surprised by reactions now, can you?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                  Well, Aaron, ya did say:so you can't claim that you are surprised by reactions now, can you?
                  Whatever, I'm going to put you on ignore too..Heck I might as well put the entire world on ignore....sheesh...
                  Last edited by Konaguy; August 30, 2006, 04:17 PM.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Aaron, by putting folks on "ignore", you miss out on interesting conversations. While we certainly don't all agree with everyone, we all have something to contribute. and considering the way this thread started - we are really quite civil with each other, as we should be. I've learned a lot with the discussion and I hope others have also. If someone says something you don't like, ignore the posting - you don't have to respond to everything. But, don't ignore the person making the statements. Thats the way we stay "inside the box" and don't learn anything. There has been plenty said on here that I don't like, and some folks I don't like - but I still read what they have to say.

I hope you'll reconsider your "ignore" options...........
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I'm sorry I can't at this point.I don't appreciate being "talked down" at as
                      a child. For goodness sakes I'm 30 years old. I've faced a lot of harassment
                      in my life. I've gotten to the point, I gotta put my foot down and stand up
                      for myself. Hence why I've had to put people on ignore here. As they've caused
                      me to get very frustrated or at the worst caused me to get migraines.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

What would also probably help is users who aren't designated as moderators at HT should just shut up and let the real mods and Admin do their jobs.

You don't what someone has to say? Fine. Go ahead and share your opinion instead.

But stop telling other users what to do.

Comment

I concur, Pālolo Joe. I am actually offended that Konaguy has told me to ignore him. But since he is already ignoring me and anapuni808 (or has so threatened), he’ll never know. Ignorance is bliss. What’s ironic is, reading through my exchange with him, I never actually told him to do anything. I merely stated facts.

This is a really tough crowd, isn’t it?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                            This is a really tough crowd, isn’t it?
                            I believe it is but these are tough subjects. I think this thread has been excellent for the most part and I personally wish to continue with threads like it. It's part of the reason I come here. The other is the love.
                            I even think TK softened a bit as a result of this discussion. Now that's progress. Where'd that Kimo go?
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

That is possibly the first time in my whole life that anybody has referred to my name and "soft" in the same breath. Am I getting old? Naaaah ! Just ask the players about the asskickin 40 yr old coach. They hate, hate, hate it when I can beat them in coverage, sprints, or laps around the field.

If the Sovmov had a plan, and removed the racial separatism, I might be swayed. But there is not a snowball's chance in H that will happen. I never seen a plan, and racism is as bad now as ever in Hawaii.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                                ...racism is as bad now as ever in Hawaii.
                                Towards whom? For haoles to express prejudice towards Hawaiians and local people seems far less acceptable than in the past. I don't know if contempt for the haole is more prevalent today or only expressed more freely. Either way it's the haoles that created the situation. Payback's a, well you know.
                                Last edited by sinjin; August 31, 2006, 07:19 AM.
                                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                                X