Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Statehood Day Holiday

Originally posted by tikiyaki
    It's just that Compton is not really KNOWN for it's white community. Don't jump on me, I really never heard of any real white community in Compton, and I've been in LA for 12 years now. Then again I've never driven through it...I think those NWA records scared me away ;-)
    Maybe those white kids were bussed in ;-)
    Yeah, I was under the impression it was all blacks and hispanics. My sister lived in the heart of L.A. for about 4 years while attending USC (and has a police report from getting mugged to prove it), so I’ll ask her about it, now that she has wheels and can do a drive-by.

(that was a joke)

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
      Yeah, I was under the impression it was all blacks and hispanics. My sister lived in the heart of L.A. for about 4 years while attending USC (and has a police report from getting mugged to prove it), so I’ll ask her about it, now that she has wheels and can do a drive-by.

(that was a joke)
      You guys are killing me... that's like saying ONLY fillipinos live in Waipahu! or only Japanese live in Mililani...etc...

World... please open your eyes and quit stereotyping!
      Last edited by damontucker; September 2, 2006, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Manoa....just trying to lighten it up in here. At this point it's merely Geographic stereotyping and not people stereotyping. The fact is, LA is VERY racially segregated when it comes to geography, and that's just a fact.

When you live here full time, you know this kinda stuff. Glendale, for instance, has the highest concentration of Armenians in the United States. They even have an Armenian mayor. West Hollywood has the Fairfax district, which is a Russian/Jewish concentration, East LA is predominantly Latino, areas like Arcadia, Monterey Park and Alhambra have a huge Asian concentration, especially Chinese and Taiwanese ( I know this , my fiancee' is from Taiwan, and that's where she lived when I met her)

Then of course there is Little Tokyo, Chinatown, Koreatown...it's just the way the city is wired. So calling Compton a predominanty black area is very normal if you live in LA...it's not racist, it's just factual. I was just joking when I said my original statment about there being no white people there :-)

Hollywood and Beverly Hills, of course have the probably highest concentration of cosmetic silicone in the country...this is not a racial thing, but I bet it's statistically true :-)

BTW...I watched that Dave Chappelle thing on the Tou tube link and nearly peed my pants
        Last edited by tikiyaki; September 2, 2006, 05:17 AM.
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I'm very lightened up...sorry if I don't sound that way.

Yes LA has always been segregated... however, that doesn't mean there isn't ANY integration.

That youtube link starts off slow and then hit's you in the face if you don't watch it... and it may be somewhat offensive... I should have posted that with the original message... however it does have some hillarious points.

Auntielynn... Correct me if I'm wrong... however, I think there are some Haoles living in our chinatown.... (i've seen homeless haoles that seem to live there)

Comment

Wow.... how we turn a subject into something totally different.

I don't encourage the use of any names that label others based on color, creed, sex or whatever.

That's all for now folks...

Back to topic: In Maryland, we get Maryland Day off(state employee) but we use that as one of our floating holidays.
            Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
            Mark Twain

Comment

Kamuelakea puts himself on the Ignore list and look at you guyz. Whining, crying, off topic.

SHeesh. wot, kanna handole when I'm gone?

Okay, back to Statehood Day.

Comment

I'm ready to talk again about statehood...

However, I think I've derailed this enough to piss some of the key contributors off... sorry about that....

I would like to know if anyone can give me information as to why it was so important to suppress the Hawaiian Language during the early days?

I hope I didn't open up a whole new can of worms?

However, I'm often told of by people in my family that they were told not to speak Hawaiian for a period of time. I cannot question them.. because they are my seniors... however, I can learn from those on HT that might be able to give me a more genuine answer.

I mean I know about the suppression of the language...but why was it so important to suppress it?

Comment

Change of regimes.

Along with the Republic of Hawai'i came the Organic Act in 1896, which can still be found in the Hawai'i Revised Statutes.

1896 Laws of the Republic of Hawaii, Act 57, sec. 30:
                  "The English Language shall be the medium and basis of instruction in all public and private schools, provided that where it is desired that another language shall be taught in addition to the English language, such instruction may be authorized by the Department, either by its rules, the curriculum of the school, or by direct order in any particular instance. Any schools that shall not conform to the provisions of this section shall not be recognized by the Department."

Kanawai 57, Pauku 30:
                  O ka Olelo Beretania no ka mea e a'o ia ai iloko o na kula Aupuni a me na kula kuokoa apau, eia nae, ma na wahi i makemakeia ae e a'o ia kekahi olelo e ae mawaho ae o ka Olelo Beretania, ua hiki no e hoomanaia ia a'o ana e ka Oihana mamuli o kona mau rula ponoi, na rula paha o ke kula, a i ole ia, mamuli o ke kauoha maoli ana pela. O kekahi mau kula i hooko ole e like me na mea i hoakakaia ma keia Pauku aole no lakou e ikeia a hoomaopopoia paha e ka Oihana.

After the law, came the implementation.

Children were beaten for speaking Hawaiian in schools. It took a generation's time to wipe the language out of the mouths of the very ones critical to passing a language on: the children. The 1920's saw the last generation of native speakers born across the islands (with the exception of rural Hawaiian communities, like Kalapana, Miloli'i, Hana, Kekaha and Ni'ihau being the most reknown).

As for your question of 'why'? It was an issue of power. A lot of literature and news were written in Hawaiian. With the English translations taking place, history had an easier time being toned down.

-the Civil War of 1896 in Hawaiian gets called the "rebellion" in English
                  -the seminal ideas and activities of the Hui Aloha Aina receive barely a passing mention in English writings, and none whatsoever of the Anti-Annexation Petitions, signed by 38,000 Hawaiians in 1897-8 (and when one considers that the 1900 census a few years later counted 40,000 Hawaiians, then the number of signatures must be viewed as staggering, phenomenal and even spiritual).
                  -shrewd decisions by the Ali'i Mo'i, chronicled for decades in Hawaiian newspapers get ignored and the factoids become historical highlights: for example, Kamehameha III grew up in an ahapua'a system and learned how to wrap his mind around complexities such as foreign trade, currency exchange rates, lines of credit, and attempted hostile takeovers, but what do the English histories write about him outside of the fact that he was in love with his sister.

Then there were the land deeds. Hawaiian courts have tried many cases were the title became "dirty" between the antiquated Hawaiian deed and the revised English claim. I am going to stop here because this point hits home personally.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                    I would like to know if anyone can give me information as to why it was so important to suppress the Hawaiian Language during the early days?
                    I mean I know about the suppression of the language...but why was it so important to suppress it?
                    It is common practice when taking over a nation to suppress many aspects of a native culture, so as to break down the bonds among the people being oppressed. Language is one of the most important things to eliminate, as occupying forces fear communication and behavior that they do not understand. One of the easiest ways to kill off a language is to forbid children from using it; within a generation or two - gone.

In Hawai`i, you saw it with language, spirituality, hula, etc. You'll find it all around the world, however - Native Americans...the Inuit of the Canadian Arctic...Tibetans under Chinese rule...

Comment

Thanks for the explanation you guys...
                      It's a harsh reality... but I guess it's the truth.

Sorry to touch on a personal issue Pua'i.

As you know Pua'i , I have family from the Kalapana area before it got covered in Lava... Thus my curiosity...

However, even the younger generations of Kalapana residents seem to know very little Hawaiian language now.

Pua'i did you know Storyteller Oulu?

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                        I think about this one a lot. Hawaiians are diluting down. We cannot help it. So I look to the N.A. up on CONUS. And this is what I see:

-enrolling is all about blood quantum. Many tribes are down to under 3K of 25%. Some wrestle with collating all NA bloods so that someone can be enrollable if their total NAness = 25%. To keep themselves unique, they cling to their bloodline, but this is an inevitability of dying out, because youth cannot control whom they love, and there will always be those who fall through the cracks because of paperwork.

Yet, how many folks who live across that continent have 1/16 or so NA? But they don't have enough™, so the struggle for them is to maintain their NAness when the tribe doesn't fully accept them because they aren't enough.

Then I see Aotearoa to the south. If you are maori, if you have a whakapapa that links you to your iwi, hapu, waka, awa, maunga, then you are maori. Nothing about blood quantum. A maori is a maori is a maori, even the blue-eyed blond haired maoris have the freedom to be a maori. And they laugh at us as we wrestle with learning our fractions and decimals based on our quantum. Their nation is an independent and free democracy. And the maori aren't of the luxury of being on the permanent government nipple, because they are only as apportioned as the health of the economy and resources oblige. They aren't about tax subsidy; each iwi owns its own land and natural resources and they are shared within the iwi. And unlike many NA tribes, maori iwi resources are rich in water, soil, geothermals. They can self-sustain.

I would rather envy the freedom of the maori model than that of the deficit model which is the American Native™ way. Screw that cycle.
                        <applause> Now that's what I'm talking about Pua'i. It's a heavy question when it comes to what constitutes a people, but when it comes down to it what really counts is how a person acts and thinks. I know Hawaiians who act Haole (are they Haole?) and Haoles who act Hawaiian. Who is more Hawaiian? The Hawaiian who has the get-ahead lifestyle, consumption driven (lotsa Hawaiians out there driving big gas-guzzling aina-unfriendly SUVs and trucks, blasting mysogynistic hip-hop) mentality; or the Haole who grew up on the North Shore, lives simply, gets along with and helps his/her neighbors, and respects the land and the values it embodies? I would like to have a discussion as to what values and beliefs make a Hawaiian, Hawaiian. Movements of thought and action are powerful even in the face of overwhelmingly dominant polities such as the US. When a people can define what makes them a people, accepting others into their midst strengthens, not dilutes, them.

Jewlipino

PS: Sorry if I haven't been about lately, took a big trip away from civilization to reground myself. Sometimes it's good to get away everyday life, technology, etc.. I definitely recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                        X