Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ethnic politics?

Originally posted by anapuni808
    Manoa - what the H*** difference does it make to you whether I lurk or what? I only come on the threads when I have something to contribute - whether it is a popular thought or not. I'm not like some others who post only to see their name on the thread. You've made it very clear you don't like me, you & several others. So, just ignore what I post & don't feel a need to respond. I don't post for your benefits.
    I'm not sure where you get this from?

I think your cool... I don't always agree with some of your posts... but that's what a good debate is suppose to be about.

Hugs,

Manoa

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
      Leave the “I’m very busy and important” interjections at the door, anapuni. There’s a much more meaningful debate going on here without your interruption.

TuNnL - I'm going to put your remarks down to the fact that you are very young and really don't know everything that goes on in this town. Your job doesn't guarantee you are well informed - you may be privy to information that the rest of us don't see but thats not because of your own importance - its a circumstance of your job.

If you don't like what I have to say - don't read it. PLEASE, put me on your ignore list. Until you become HT admin, it's not your place to tell anyone when they can or cannot post. I will continue to post my thoughts and will not be afraid of appearing stupid. At my age, my ego is not that involved when it comes to responses from people like yourself.

To the rest of the participants in this thread - I offer my apology for the little digression here.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        I'm not sure where you get this from?

I think your cool... I don't always agree with some of your posts... but that's what a good debate is suppose to be about.

Hugs,

Manoa
        Manoa, you surprise me. It's true we don't agree on most things but yes - that is why it's called "debate".

Hugs back atcha!
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Did either of you ever think that maybe the "ethnicity" of Audrey Case had absolutely NOTHING to do with their marriage? Did either of you ever hear about being in love? or caring for each other? While I may not have supported Ed Case in his bid for the senate - I have met him & spoken many times with him. He is not THAT cynical!!! You do both of the Case's a dis-service with your postings.
          Absolutely.

What an ugly and disgusting thread!

As far as Ed and Audrey Case is concern...they exhibit a LOVE so special and dear. I have had the honor to be with them up close and seen for myself their devotion to each other.

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            Indeed; probably due to the topics of the thread title (both individually and collectively) being such heat-inspiring ones.

I would ask a favor of several posters here, however: rather than several individual messages, one right after the other in response to multiple posts, please open those posts you wish to quote, and copy and paste the quotes (along with your responses) into one all-purpose post.

It's not hard to do; I started doing it after seeing Ryan combine several individual posts on my behalf. Now, I do it as a courtesy to him, if not for the rest of you.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
              I agree; however, candidates running for political office in Hawai'i (and elsewhere) do need to be somewhat cognizant of the impact of ethnicity. In a close race bewteen otherwise similar candidates, it can often be a determining factor. One thing that was somewhat troubling to me during the last primary election was the fact that some candidates felt the need to feature their spouses in their campaign commercials. While the jury is still out on whether or not such a campaign strategy is effective, I don't recall seeing many campaign commercials featuring Millie Akaka or Elaine Hogue....
              Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                One thing that was somewhat troubling to me during the last primary election was the fact that some candidates felt the need to feature their spouses in their campaign commercials. While the jury is still out on whether or not such a campaign strategy is effective, I don't recall seeing many campaign commercials featuring Millie Akaka or Elaine Hogue....
                Thank you, Jonah, for reinforcing the point that so many of us on this board felt was a shameful demonstration of each candidate’s manipulation of the title of this thread.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

and while we're at it - Matt Matsunaga's wife is local, part Hawaiian & very definitely not blonde as was mentioned on one of these threads. Not that it matters now - but where do some of you come up with this stuff?

The confusion is because Mr. Matsunaga's first wife was a blond haole. He traded up for a much younger hot part Hawaiian chick. God bless um and good going Matsunaga you dog you. But they are an interesting looking couple.

Comment

Originally posted by John Maple
                    kamuelakea, really look at your words and think about them. My comment does not even approach psychological genocide when it's viewed in context.

I was talking about politics. Politics is brutal. Without those "poidog mutts", there are not enough Native Hawaiians to do anything politically. If the Hawaiian community, one of the most interbred in the world, stops at the artificial 50% line (a made-up designation by racist Americans who wanted to depress the number of claimants for Hawaiian Homelands and keep the races separate), then there aren't enough to make an impact.

That's the difference between you and me. I'm not interested in doing what is politically feasible. I'm interested in doing what I believe is the right thing to do. It’s about morals, ethics.

How did 180 Native American tribes come to be established by a vast majority of Haole politicians who represent a mostly Haole constituency?

It happened because this country is made up of people who are capable of seeing right from wrong and who are capable of acknowledging past mistakes and apologizing for them and doing the best to make them right again.

Comment

• Re: Ethnic politics?

Haoles: 401,682
                      Japanese: 259,931
                      Filipino: 223,956
                      Native Hawaiians: 188,313
                      Chinese: 139,344
                      Korean: 31,446
                      This is less important as the percentages of actual voters, their party affiliations and their tendency to vote under blind restrictions such as Ethnicity or Union.

Hawaii has the lowest voter turn out in the country. But AJAs have a very high voter participation rate.

Haoles can be split between Republican and Democrat.
                      Most Japanese are Democrat.
                      Native Hawaiians are some Democrat, some Republicans and some No vote.
                      Filipinos can swing anyway as long as they believe in the person. Ethnicity and party not as important as the person.
                      Chinese and Korean are too small to matter and also are not usually one dimensional homogeneous voters.

When you apply these factors, the AJA vote, because it is a bloc vote, has been and continues to be the 800 pound gorrilla. Only if most of the rest gangs up against them can you win a statewide race.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                        This is less important as the percentages of actual voters, their party affiliations and their tendency to vote under blind restrictions such as Ethnicity or Union.

Hawaii has the lowest voter turn out in the country. But AJAs have a very high voter participation rate.

Haoles can be split between Republican and Democrat.
                        Most Japanese are Democrat.
                        Native Hawaiians are some Democrat, some Republicans and some No vote.
                        Filipinos can swing anyway as long as they believe in the person. Ethnicity and party not as important as the person.
                        Chinese and Korean are too small to matter and also are not usually one dimensional homogeneous voters.

When you apply these factors, the AJA vote, because it is a bloc vote, has been and continues to be the 800 pound gorrilla. Only if most of the rest gangs up against them can you win a statewide race.
                        Please tell me when the last time we had a Japanese governor? Yes it was Ariyoshi in 74 but I believe he has been the only one.

Comment

• Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                          Please tell me when the last time we had a Japanese governor? Yes it was Ariyoshi in 74 but I believe he has been the only one.
                          Hey, that ignore list thing isn't working for you huh. I know I know. Kamuelakea is like a bad car accident. You know you shouldn't look but you just can't help yourself. I understand.

Its not as simple as AJAs for for AJAs. That's true but there is a second level of decision making where people pick the less of 2 evils.

John Burns - Elected by AJAs who worked closely with Burns.
                          Ariyoshi - Elected by AJAs
                          Waihee - Elected by AJAs with the help of his wife.
                          Cayetano - Elected by Filipinos and just enough AJAs who supported Hirono.
                          Lingle - Got the Haoles and Hawaiians with help from Aiona and just enough of everyone else ONLY Because Hawaii was at the bottom of a 8 year recession cycle.

To win a statewide race, you really should have 2 out of 4 of the major ethnic groups with the Union/Labor vote as a Democrat Bonus. Thats what Hawaii politics comes down to. Its got nothing to do with debate, opinion, philosophy, etc.

Kamuelakea, It would be good if you could understand the difference between "ethnicity" and "nationality". That might be a start for you.
                          That really does sum up the difference. I think its more important to save the ethnic Hawaiians. Nations have always come and gone. A "Hawaiian Nation" that is more inclusive can still occur 100 or 1000 years from now. But once ethnic Hawaiians are extinct, that's it. PAU.

And I'm saying that I don't Case assumed that at all. At the most cynical, he probably assumed she was a photogenic trophy wife with political connections. And before you say that I meant "Japanese" when I said "photogenic", I didn't. I meant "photogenic." I think Ed Case would have married Alexandra Kerry if he could. Again, assuming his marriage choices were politically motivated.

I don't think you're joking at all. I just think you're wrong.
                          Alexandra Kerry would have cost him even more votes. Name the last Haole/Haole couple (where the Haole wife is visible and public) that held statewide office? I'm thinking.......................................... .................................................. ...............????????

Den Case ain't so smat a politician. Ethnicity matters. The Plantation Democrats understand that. Thats why you have Waihee/Cayetano (Hawaiian/Filipino) followed by Cayetano/Hirono (Filipino/Japanese).

Ethnicity trumps photogenic.

If Case had a Filipino wife (like Ramona Harris silently pretended to be), Case could win a statewide office. His wife actually hurts him politically.

Comment

Hey, that ignore list thing isn't working for you huh. I know I know. Kamuelakea is like a bad car accident. You know you shouldn't look but you just can't help yourself. I understand.
                            If I don't at least listen to ignorance...then I won't know how to identify brilliance.

Comment

If Case had a Filipino wife (like Ramona Harris silently pretended to be), Case could win a statewide office. His wife actually hurts him politically.
                              I know you think I’m stupid and “not worth responding to.” But I was actually following what you were saying until this. I can’t see how his wife hurts him politically. Are you saying there were less AJAs then Filipinos in the 2nd district? Seems like you are on the border of changing your stance on this issue, but then again, I could be misreading this since I am such a mental midget.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

• Re: Another one bites the dust...

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                                Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely--Lord Acton

And nothing more absolute than the stranglehold that the Plantation Asian Democratic party have had upon one party Hawaii over the past 50 years.

Talk about endless corruption. And either you can't care because you'll lose your job etc, or you don't care because you are on the Plantation Asian gravy train, or you don't care because you give up already.

Hawaii is about as good an example of that quote as anywhere in the US.
                                Last edited by admin; October 14, 2006, 06:45 AM. Reason: Split from "Congressional Follies" thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X