Did you vote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you vote?

So, who voted this election, and who didn't?
    Yes
    93.10%
    No
    6.90%
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Did you vote?

Why isn't "Hell yeah" an option?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      Why isn't "Hell yeah" an option?
      Be sure to include, "Yes, but why did I bother".

I always have, but I always end up feeling the same way afterwords.

Comment

Exactly my thoughts, Scrivener. You just made it so.

I was speaking with someone yesterday who considers himself to be a radical, politically speaking. Then he mentioned that he never votes.

That sent me into quite a tirade, I fear. Many, many arguments put forward, but the one that seemed to connect with him was that he cannot succeed in supporting the disenfranchised if he chooses to disenfranchise himself.

There are plenty of politicians of all stripes who would love it if certain segments of the population were not able to vote, and will work to screw over those people - we don't need to help them by screwing ourselves. You want to change a flawed system? It's more effective to do it from within (sez I, who prefers the label "subversive" to that of "radical.")

Comment

I've often fantasied about the idea of starting a movement to "invalidate the vote". The idea is if you don't like any of the choices, you invalidate your ballot for that race by voting too many times. A back door to a "none of the above" vote. (I prefer that over leaving it blank because of the possibility that someone down the line might "vote" for you.)

Why do that? In politics it all comes down to who will actually vote. If a segment of society won't vote, then the politicians don't have to cater to them. But if people deliberately cast invalid votes, they went to the polls - both sides will see this as votes that they should have courted. While it won't make any difference in the outcome of the election at hand, it would be my hope that if the percentage was high enough, it would get the backrooms working overtime trying to actually reach this "undecided" that DO go to the polls. It gives the public a way to say they don't like the choices at hand without risking that they actually vote some wack job into office.

Comment

I just did.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              Be sure to include, "Yes, but why did I bother".

I always have, but I always end up feeling the same way afterwords.
              I'm PROUD to exercise my right to VOTE each time! Yesterday, I had the honor to assist my MAMA for the first time to VOTE in the booth...due to her becoming frail with age. She may be old and sickly but her mind is sharp! She knew who she wanted in Office and she knew the answers for each question when I asked her.

Voting is not a laughing matter.

Many Districts had close races. Mine was a heated race ~ District 28. As you know my candidate, Karl Rhoads won over Collin Wong. However, not by much. Yes, voting counts.

It is our right. Like dey say..."No Vote ~ No Grumble!"

Love and Aloha
              Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                ... In politics it all comes down to who will actually vote. If a segment of society won't vote, then the politicians don't have to cater to them.
                My thoughts exactly. And since I don't have any faith in our so-called democratic way of life (does anyone believe the greatest good is being done for the majority of our citizens? cuz I sure don't), my vote represented the voices of dissent. Kinda like a watch dog vote to show those in power how many people are still against them, even though they may still win the election.

Comment

I voted walk/absentee about two weeks ago. Best thing I ever did, no
                  stress or long lines . Aunty, you funny, "No Vote, No Grumble"
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

I've only missed one election during my life - 1990 primary. I was hospitalized seven days before the election and we didn't think of arranging for an absentee ballot. My youngest daughter voted in her first elections this year.

Comment

I voted but I am in Oregon and WAY in the minority, so my one vote counted but why I don't know! I know every vote counts but when you are the minority every single time it gets tiring. Oh well, that's democracy!
                      Wouldn't have it any other way!
                      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                      Sharing withother survivors...
                      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I've been voting since 1976 and have never missed an election.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                        X