Gender Roles in Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gender Roles in Politics

This thread was inspired by Leo Lakio’s post about Nancy Pelosi. Pelosi is the first female in the U.S. Congress to serve in the position of “Speaker of the House.” But that surely isn’t the most interesting gender role development in the public arena. Here in the islands, Kim Coco Iwamoto is the first trans-gendered woman elected to serve on the Board of Education. Does it demonstrate Hawai‘i’s progressive attitudes toward sexual orientation, or does it indicate voters simply were unaware that Iwamoto was once a “St. Louis boy”?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Gender Roles in Politics

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    Does it demonstrate Hawai‘i’s progressive attitudes toward sexual orientation, or does it indicate voters simply were unaware that Iwamoto was once a “St. Louis boy”?
    TuNnL it represents that she ran a good campaign.

To go to this level and end it the way you did was tasteless.

I hope she does a great job on the board and I hope this gives students that might be in her shoes some inspiration.

Change is good w/ the Board of Education... I'm glad!

Comment

I heard about him/her several months ago as his/her relative is an associate of mine. If she can do the job, what difference does it make? Doesn't make me feel for or against her.

Regarding Nancy Pelosi, I've read some unflattering remarks about her by some Californians. All that did was to lower my opinions of them - small-minded jerks!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
        To go to this level and end it the way you did was tasteless.
        I disagree. Gender, like race, and even sexual orientation are all part of political considerations, whether we like it or not. Leaders constantly gush about Hillary Clinton becoming the first female president. Or Barack Obama becoming the first black president. Or the fact that a conservative Republican like Rep. Mark Foley was gay. So flame me all you want, Mānoa. I stand strong in the confidence that I’m bringing a very important topic of discussion to the table. Besides, I wasn’t the first one. KHON Channel 2 brought it up in the first place.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Huh. I hadn't known. But considering the rough time that GLBT kids have in school, it wouldn't hurt to have someone on the BOE who knows how it is. Go, Kim!

Comment

Stand strong all you want TuNnL... when your bringing in someones sexual gender over what they could bring to the Dept. of Education then I think its sad. (I know you personally so I don't think you have issues)

Do you know her? Or are you just discussing this on HT to inspire your own thoughts on this?

Sounds to me like you might be a bit paranoid.

Leo's post that you say you were inspired to start this thread about has nothing to do with the issues that you are trying to throw out. It may have inspired you... however, Leo's post had no tone at all to where you are heading with this thread!

(Too me... personally TuNnL, it just sounds like another old school rival that you have with St. Louis boys considering you were a Punahou boy.... Sounds like she's going places you only admire to go )

Comment

Oh! Da Ugliness!!! I don't give a Rat's Okole if a person is Black, White, Yellow or Pink. Man, Woman or whatevers. As long as the person is Honest and can get the job done!

You go WOMAN!

Kim Coco Iwamoto

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Do you know her?
                No, but that shouldn’t matter. She’s a public figure and in the spotlight, and subject to all the scrutiny that entails.
                Sounds to me like you might be a bit paranoid.
                Huh? Sounds like you are the paranoid one, trying to “silence the lamb.” Make a martyr of me. Whatever it takes to get society to begin addressing this important issue.
                ...it just sounds like another old school rival that you have with St. Louis boys considering you were a Punahou boy.
                What?! Where do you get this stuff? I never attended Punahou! (though I admit, I did apply)

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

What?! Where do you get this stuff? I never attended Punahou! (though I admit, I did apply)
                  Forgot... it was your brother that we picked up from Soccer practice more than 12 years ago!

And to silence a lamb??? wtf?

Public Figure... yeah right... whatevers...

She's a cool person whom I'm sure that had you ever met her in person... you would have NEVER started this thread. And yes... I have met her!

I'm sure she will stir the pot up a bit... just as me or you would... but that's what the DOE needs!

Comment

Forgot... it was your brother that we picked up from Soccer practice more than 12 years ago!
                    This is why four members and counting have picked you for the Kahi Mohala Award. I didn’t know you 12 years ago. I know none of my ‘ohana knows you. So at this point, you throwing random b.s. out there and hoping it sticks is only making you look (like PJ has said countless times) like a jack@ss.

Since you claim to be such an expert on it, just stick to the topic!

USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

I didn’t know you 12 years ago.
                      Sorry it was 8 years ago ...and we did p/u your bro from punahou!

To keep this on topic...why would someone like you think this would be an issue at all? Why would someones gender matter what they can or can't do? We have all heard of the Lingle jokes and it seems many of us don't take that into account.

What is the basis of you posting such a thread???

And to correct you...PJ has called me a donkey...which I would prefer to a "Mule" which is sterile.

Comment

What is the basis of you posting such a thread???
                        Because it’s an important political consideration, mānoa. Just like race, religion or creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, mental or physical handicap, etc. Heck, Ed Case based nearly his entire campaign on age. But the moment I mention gender, you have a caniption fit.

I’ve already said KHON-2 generated this topic. But apparently, the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, KHNL News-8, and the Associated Press also agree with me.
                        And to correct you...PJ has called me a donkey...which I would prefer to a "Mule" which is sterile.
                        I know of at least one instance where he also referred to you as a jackass. So like PJ said in a recent post, “no correction is necessary.”

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

I only use donkey because when I use jackass it tends to get threads locked.

I'd like to use more colorful language to share my true opinion of Manoa, but I learned my lesson after my last spanking at the hands of the Admin.

Oh, and I agree with Auntie Lynn. Who cares if he/she is GLBT? If he/she gets the job done, then STFU. There's a reason why they were voted into the BOE in the first place.

Comment

I've met Kim Coco Iwamoto and she had a good grasp of the issues facing BOE and DOE, it'll be good to have someone in BOE with her skills and intelligence.

How about the fact that Sen. Hanabusa is the new Senate President? I realize this thread has wandered a bit, but Hawaii has many powerful women, (Gov. Lingle, Rep. Luke, Hawaii Reporter says Sen. Baker is getting WAM, and that's just to name a few.). What do you think differentiates them?

Comment

Originally posted by Deep Thought View Post
                              How about the fact that Sen. Hanabusa is the new Senate President? ...Hawaii has many powerful women, (Gov. Lingle, Rep. Luke, Hawaii Reporter says Sen. Baker is getting WAM, and that's just to name a few.). What do you think differentiates them?
                              I think Lingle and Hanabusa are huge firsts in terms of gender. First female governor, and first female senate president in Hawai‘i, respectively. Luke and Baker I think are more along the lines of “powerful” as opposed to “groundbreaking.” Remember, though, Kim is the highest ranking transgender in the nation, not just our state.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                              X