coup in the legislature thwarted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coup in the legislature thwarted

This seemingly did not get much press in the news. Anyone have any idea on how this'll impact the legislature next year? Doesn't seem like the Democrats are totally united against Lingle this year.

Newly elected get key duties

By Treena Shapiro
    Advertiser Government Writer

A shift in leadership at the state House of Representatives has afforded some of its newest members with unique opportunities to advance, some even before they have been sworn into office.

An unsuccessful attempt to oust Speaker Calvin Say opened several committee chairman and vice-chairman positions, which Say awarded to 16 members with four years of experience or less.

Of the 13 freshmen entering the House, eight will be committee vice chairs, while some of the others will be assistant floor leaders.

Nine of them will sit on the powerful Finance Committee, which Say has traditionally used as a training ground for freshmen members since budget deliberations give members a broad — and quick — overview of state government.
    Last edited by admin; November 25, 2006, 12:49 PM. Reason: Do not post full articles. Excerpt and link only.

Re: coup in the legislature thwarted

Hasn't this been reported on in Poinography! fairly thoroughly? Although that doesn't let the major newspapers off the hook for not tracking the story sooner...

Comment

It'll be an interesting experiment, if nothing else. But I'm really really hoping that the Neighbor Islands will have more of a say in the Legislature (with more leadership roles being given to Neighbor Island representatives, that could happen) than they have previously.

It's very frustrating to the people of Maui, for instance, who know they need a second hospital (and have the population now to prove it) and truly would support that second hospital (wherever it gets built) while having a very Honolulu-centric Commission appointed by the Legislature that denies the application for that new hospital.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hey. Don't you go calling me a reporter, Glen!

To be honest, the best stuff on my blog about the House reorg is found in the reader comments.

Comment

Glen is right Doug! Everyone reads your Blog for Political News.

You the MAN!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
            Anyone have any idea on how this'll impact the legislature next year?
            Haven’t checked Doug’s site yet, but this is the million dollar question. From 808shooter’s article:
            An unsuccessful attempt to oust Speaker Calvin Say opened several committee chairman and vice-chairman positions, which Say awarded to 16 members with four years of experience or less.

Of the 13 freshmen entering the House, eight will be committee vice chairs, while some of the others will be assistant floor leaders.
            This was the only real information in Treena Shapiro’s story, and it barely scratched the surface. What I want to know is: who got a committee chairmanship? Because my inside sources tell me at least one powerful committee chair was seen cleaning out his office this weekend.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              What I want to know is: who got a committee chairmanship? Because my inside sources tell me at least one powerful committee chair was seen cleaning out his office this weekend.
              The big news in the House reorganization was the fact that longtime House Finance Chair Dwight Takamine from the Hamakua district lost his chairmanship. He was left with no committee or leadership position.

From the Hawaii State Legislature website:

State House Info
              House Leadership
              House Committees - you have to click on each committee name to see who the chairs and members are.

State Senate

Senate Committees
              Senate Leadership

My only comment is that Senator Hanabusa should have her photo updated.
              Last edited by mel; November 27, 2006, 05:19 AM. Reason: added word
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer View Post
                To be honest, the best stuff on my blog about the House reorg is found in the reader comments.
                I'm with Tunnl, I hadn't checked Poinographer's blog until now.

Pretty funny stuff. Including this gem...

Originally posted by Karen Awana (R)
                Representative-elect Karen Awana, a Republican, takes over the Nanakuli, Honokai Hale district from Democrat Michael Kahikina.

Awana sees herself in position to have Republican Gov. Linda Lingle’s ear, and she also hopes to work collaboratively with the Democrats in the Legislature.

“I really, truly believe we have to work extra hard to build bridges so everyone has a piece of the pie,” she said. “I’m hoping we can distribute the wealth equally throughout the state.“
                this is coming from a Republican? Aahhahahhahahah! I'd like Lingle to send this woman to the RNC next year! Totally validates what I've always thought. Party affiliation in Hawaii means nothing to your economic and social beliefs. I've always thought that Cayatano was a republican at heart.

Meh. In re-reading her quote, maybe it was taken out of context but it sure is funny to hear from a "Republican".

Comment

Working...
                X