How does one run for politics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does one run for politics?

Since I'll be moving to the Big Island at end of month. I was curious what it takes to run for local politics? I was thinking of City Council on the Big Island. Where does one go to find out how to qualify to run for local politics?

Apathy is a big problem in Hawaii. We all sit around and bitch & moan about this guy or that gal, etc,etc.. So, I'd like to take it beyond just complaining at the dinner table at home, or at work to co-workers. I see strippers, surfers, and all walks of life running for office of one sort or another over the years. I figure the outer islands would be the easiest area to start this proccess. Anybody got some ideas?

Re: How does one run for politics?

I think you need to contact the County Clerk's office.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
      Since I'll be moving to the Big Island at end of month. I was curious what it takes to run for local politics? I was thinking of City Council on the Big Island. Where does one go to find out how to qualify to run for local politics?

Apathy is a big problem in Hawaii. We all sit around and bitch & moan about this guy or that gal, etc,etc.. So, I'd like to take it beyond just complaining at the dinner table at home, or at work to co-workers. I see strippers, surfers, and all walks of life running for office of one sort or another over the years. I figure the outer islands would be the easiest area to start this proccess. Anybody got some ideas?
      Here's a link to a PDF that covered the "Candidate Filing Process" for the last round of elections in Hawai'i...
      http://www.hawaii.gov/elections/factsheets/fsbo112.pdf

And, here's a link to the Elections Division of the Hawai'i County Clerk.
      http://www.hawaii-county.com/elections/index.html

Cheers,

Jonah K
      Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Since I'll be moving to the Big Island at end of month. I was curious what it takes to run for local politics? I was thinking of City Council on the Big Island.
        Carpetbagger! :P

Seriously, good luck, hope it works out!

Comment

Lots of money!

Comment

Drop a PM to timkona; he has first-hand experience in running for political office on Hawai`i Island. He was not elected, but I would think he has information on the process that you may find useful.

Comment

Announce it on HT!

I did...but I neva run.

Rememba everybody???

http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread....upule+governor

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'm pretty ignorant of politics, but what do you think would happen if people were lottoried into politics? would it be better then what we have now? =p

"oh crap, i just got mail that i have to serve as governer next year... Can I get out of it like jury duty?"
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I ran for County Council in District 6 on the Big Island, which includes South Kona, Kau, and Upper Puna.

You must get some signatures on a petition, file your paperwork with a photo, and pay your money. It's easy to get on the ballot.

Getting elected is another story all together. Running for office left a very bad taste in my mouth. The voters who vote don't know, and the voters who know don't vote. Suicidal liberalism is the order of the day. Cognitive Dissonance is the prevailing thought pattern on most subjects. Dogma is more important than facts or science. "Belief" and "Opinion" are valued over truth and history.

It's pretty funny to watch old Mr. Jacobsen get batted around like a whipping dog. He's nearly the senior member on the council, while juniors and freshman get the Chair and Vice Chair roles. But the folks love him in spite of his perennial lame duck status. Go Figger??

If you are a dyed in the wool lib-nut, enviro-whacko, anti-growth, anti-future, candidate, with a dog & pony show about how much you truly care, then you got a good shot at it. Would also help if you got a relative somewhere high up in the Dem Party Machine of Hilo.

If you are a logical, sensible, straight talker, using science and facts to bolster your positions, then you don't stand a chance.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

How about some cheese with that whine?

Comment

Hell, I'd settle for pretzels & beer.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Gosh! I wanna have a shot of Crown Royal right now!

Cyber toast to you two gentelmen!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Sigh. I could never run for office. Hmmmm.
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Fred Hemmings was just a surfer who had a vision. Jumped into politics and made it happen for him.

I mean look at the old KHON Sportcaster...,what was his name...he ran against Mazie Hirono? What was his political background? Nestor Garcia another newscaster got into local politics too.

Comment

Fred Hemmings was just a surfer who had a vision. Jumped into politics and made it happen for him.

I mean look at the old KHON Sportcaster...,what was his name...he ran against Mazie Hirono? What was his political background? Nestor Garcia another newscaster got into local politics too.
                              Yeah, but dem guys had name/face recognition before they ran for office, which is good way to start. Look at the Gov. of California: he didn't have any legislative experience and yet he was still elected (twice) to that office. If he hadn't been in all those movies, he'd still be an ex-body builder from Austria.

The best way to get started in politics is to get involved behind the scenes: attend council meetings (and make statements so your comments are noted on record), volunteer for causes you believe in, help someone else get elected (gives you hands on experience on how it's done), and get your street cred that way first.

Miulang

P.S. Running for political office also puts your whole family in the limelight. How does your family feel about living life in a fishbowl? And would you worry if somebody tried to dig up dirt on you?
                              Last edited by Miulang; January 4, 2007, 05:06 PM.
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X