How does one run for politics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How does one run for politics?

I think there are pockets of liberalism on the Big Island (for sure in Kona and possibly Hilo, for instance) but my guess is the island on the whole is pretty conservative.

I am consistently impressed with the way you stick to your guns, regardless of the facts. Hawaii Island is as liberal as it gets. Hilo Town is the secret Democratic Party Headquarters in the state. Public Hearings are packed with activists who want to prevent the future from happening, while shushing their kids in the back row. Unions are in power here, and the locals like it that way. The most widely read newspaper is that red-rag known as Hawaii Island Journal. Bush is a villain. America sucks. Hillary is great. So is welfare. And business people, who become successful through hard work and perserverance, are the worst humans on the planet.

The mayor is driving around in a $40000 Ford Escape, touting his environmental consciousness. He could have bought 3 Toyota Corollas for that price, and would get better gas mileage. You are right about the fact that Kim is a lib dressed up as a con.

I will say it again. Liberalism, wrapped up in cognitive dissonance, is the order of the day on Hawaii Island. I could give many more FACTUAL examples of this, but that won't change your mind.

Please don't confuse me with the facts. I have already decided.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

What district do you plan to move into? Some of the councilmembers are pretty entrenched over there.

Comment

By all means, Beachboy, then GO FOR IT! If you have the fire in the belly, then step forward. Get the paperwork done, become a candidate - according to Tim, that part's not hard to do.

The challenge will be in getting your message out and getting it across to voters, and seeing if voters agree with you enough to elect you. Not enough agreed with Tim, and he harbors some obvious disappointment about it still - but at least he gave it a shot, which is more than the majority of us are willing to do, and I feel that gives him some right to a certain amount of complaint.

If you truly feel that you can create change in the structure and system by running for office (much less actually winning!), then don't let any of us stop you with our jokes and/or cynicism.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          I think there are pockets of liberalism on the Big Island (for sure in Kona and possibly Hilo, for instance) but my guess is the island on the whole is pretty conservative.

I am consistently impressed with the way you stick to your guns, regardless of the facts. Hawaii Island is as liberal as it gets. Hilo Town is the secret Democratic Party Headquarters in the state. Public Hearings are packed with activists who want to prevent the future from happening, while shushing their kids in the back row. Unions are in power here, and the locals like it that way. The most widely read newspaper is that red-rag known as Hawaii Island Journal. Bush is a villain. America sucks. Hillary is great. So is welfare. And business people, who become successful through hard work and perserverance, are the worst humans on the planet.

The mayor is driving around in a $40000 Ford Escape, touting his environmental consciousness. He could have bought 3 Toyota Corollas for that price, and would get better gas mileage. You are right about the fact that Kim is a lib dressed up as a con.

I will say it again. Liberalism, wrapped up in cognitive dissonance, is the order of the day on Hawaii Island. I could give many more FACTUAL examples of this, but that won't change your mind.

Please don't confuse me with the facts. I have already decided.
          Would you consider towns like Honoka'a as being liberal? Or Paauilo? Or Miloli'i? I don't think so. And I think your definition of "conservative" is different from what most people think of as "conservative". Usually, to be conservative is to want to maintain the status quo. So people who don't want more development are conservative, not liberal!

Conservatism is a political philosophy that usually favors traditional values and strong foreign defense. The term derives from to conserve; from Latin conservāre, "to keep, guard, observe". Since different cultures have different established values, conservatives in different cultures have different goals. Some conservatives seek to preserve the status quo, while others seek to return to the values of an earlier time, the status quo ante.
          Miulang

P.S. My guess is that Ford Escape is a hybrid.
          Last edited by Miulang; January 5, 2007, 09:52 AM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

So people who don't want more development are conservative, not liberal!

Now I get it. All the environmentalists, "boners", and NIMBY's are the conservatives. All the developers and realtors are liberals. Miulang, you are truly brilliant !!

Do you ever actually THINK about what you type??
            FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Beachboy, Never let the Fire within you burn out...

"To Dream the Impossible Dream" and make it happen!

Best Wishes & Good Luck!

Auntie Lynn

Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer View Post
                What district do you plan to move into? Some of the councilmembers are pretty entrenched over there.
                My guess is that he might end up running against Auntie Emily Naeole who was recently elected to represent the 5th District.

He'd probably be better off running for the seats in the 4th District or 6th through 9th Districts.
                Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

The sovereignty movement is just absolutely seething at the success of Ms. Naeole on Big Island, and the many elected, or nearly elected candidates of Hawaiian ancestry on the other islands.

You see, the SovMov believes, as a basic tenet, that they have been excluded from the power structures of society. As Hawaiians become elected, via the standard path of modern democracy, and start to claim positions of power throughout Hawaii, the SovMov looks more and more foolish. And they know it. Seems to me that the 2006 election has been a watershed elections year for Hawaiians, who now realize where the path to power truly exists.

Congrats to all the candidates who seek power through our modern democracy that excludes nobody.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

So people who don't want more development are conservative, not liberal!

Now I get it. All the environmentalists, "boners", and NIMBY's are the conservatives. All the developers and realtors are liberals. Miulang, you are truly brilliant !!

Do you ever actually THINK about what you type??
                    All I'm saying is what you're describing is not what a general definition of a conservative is...

And yes, I would say, using the strict traditional definition of the term conservative, the NIMBYs ARE the conservatives, because they want to "conserve" what is already there....

Miulang

P.S. TK: You didn't answer my question about what political affinity you think the residents of places like Paauilo and Honoka'a and Miloli'i might espouse...are they <gasp> liberal because they want to defend their way of life?
                    Last edited by Miulang; January 5, 2007, 01:09 PM.
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The sovereignty movement is just absolutely seething at the success of Ms. Naeole on Big Island, and the many elected, or nearly elected candidates of Hawaiian ancestry on the other islands.

You see, the SovMov believes, as a basic tenet, that they have been excluded from the power structures of society. As Hawaiians become elected, via the standard path of modern democracy, and start to claim positions of power throughout Hawaii, the SovMov looks more and more foolish. And they know it. Seems to me that the 2006 election has been a watershed elections year for Hawaiians, who now realize where the path to power truly exists.

Congrats to all the candidates who seek power through our modern democracy that excludes nobody.
                      I doubt the Sovereignty movement is seething, TK. More than likely they are happy that some of their candidates have finally broken through the rattan ceiling. One thing the antiwar peeps in the 60s learned is it's hard to make changes when you're on the outside; but if you can infiltrate the "establishment", you can make inroads into their power. The caveat is that people who start out as infiltrators have to be vigilant that they, too, don't get sucked into the corruption and lose sight of why they decided to join the establishment. A sovereign nation would need experienced politicians and diplomats, too, so more power to the kanaka maoli who can win political office now.

Miulang

Comment

Political affiliations??

Perhaps the voter registration rolls would shed some light on that.

Overwhelmingly Democrat.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Political affiliations??

Perhaps the voter registration rolls would shed some light on that.

Overwhelmingly Democrat.
                          Yeah. but what kind of Democrat? Surely you don't believe all Democrats are liberal? Because just as there are all shades of Republicans, there are all shades of Democrats, too, including NIMBY ones.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer View Post
                            Puna District is where I will live. I'm having a custom built house made down in HPP. It's about 30 mins. south of Hilo.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
                              I'd suggest that if you'd like to get into politics because you want to make a difference, then perhaps you should make a difference before you try to get into politics. Pick your issue and do some community service work. Get to know people who care about the same issues as you, and let them get to know you. Think of it as preliminary campaigning, if you must, but I suspect that once you become involved in your new community, just helping will be enough, particularly when you see that corpulent government bureaucracy fears and resists change like an someone with severe OCD.
                              Wow, you must have been in my dreams last night!?!? That is exactly the approach I was gonna take.

I see a lot a negative stuff being written about my possible quest. I have just one thing to say. I want to run for a county seat, not the President of the United States! I wanna better the life of my new community. One step at a time folks, one step at a time! It might be several years before I actually throw my name into the hat! Listen, the last thing I'm gonna do is jump into this blindly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                                Yeah. but what kind of Democrat? Surely you don't believe all Democrats are liberal? Because just as there are all shades of Republicans, there are all shades of Democrats, too, including NIMBY ones.

Miulang
                                funny how some people naturally assume one is liberal because they are a member of the democratic party. That couldn't be further from the truth!

Comment

Working...
                                X