Jury Duty... It's criminal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jury Duty... It's criminal!

Okay, many years ago I served as a juror on an "attempted Murder" trial. It was a neat(?) experience, but recently I received another summons to appear tomarrow morning. The problem? I had to inform work that I may not be able to come in and make arrangements for coverage with my workmates. Then I call the recording tonight and find out that my 'group' has been cancelled. I now have to get ahold of the man that was going to cover for me and let him know that he's got the night off. His normal one. So last minute I find out that I work and have to change my evening plans and he finds out that he now has it off.
    I don't think the whole situation is being handled very well by our court system.

What sort of experiences have you had with 'Jury Duty'?
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: Jury Duty... It's criminal!

I get out of all mine. I send them a letter saying I am a stay at home mom with no daycare. 100% true. But last time they said I had to call anyways. Then that morning cancelled.
    People need more notice than 1 day.

Hubby took a week off work because they said he HAD to serve. They cancelled his 2 days before. He was still able to work but it sucked.
    Oh well, what is a person to do??!!
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
      Okay, many years ago I served as a juror on an "attempted Murder" trial. It was a neat(?) experience, but recently I received another summons to appear tomarrow morning. The problem? I had to inform work that I may not be able to come in and make arrangements for coverage with my workmates. Then I call the recording tonight and find out that my 'group' has been cancelled. I now have to get ahold of the man that was going to cover for me and let him know that he's got the night off. His normal one. So last minute I find out that I work and have to change my evening plans and he finds out that he now has it off.
      I don't think the whole situation is being handled very well by our court system.

What sort of experiences have you had with 'Jury Duty'?

The last time I got called, I was given a group "letter," a number to call for a recording, and found out I didn't have to serve. But I didn't have to arrange for colleagues to cover for me. You're right, it is inconvenient. Live and learn, right? I'll go out on a limb and say you can't change the system, but you can get the cellular or home numbers of those who've you've engaged to alert them as soon as you know. The thing about jury duty is that it is quite tentative and never a sure thing.
      I've been called four or five times since I arrived in Hawaii in 1981...and never had to serve.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

My dad was on a murder trial back in early 2004. He told them that we had
        a trip scheduled for the summer time (This was back February). He was assured
        the trial would be over by our trip in July.

As it turned out, the trial last until July. We didn't know until the night before
        we were going to go if the judge was going to excuse him. Compounding things
        was the fact another person got excused.

As it turned out the judge excused him and had no alternates. The trial lasted
        another three weeks, when as it turned out the jury found her guilty.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Unfortunately, it's part of our civic duty despite how much you can be inconvenienced.

As for me? First time, murder trial, get selected, trial lasts over three weeks.(with many long delays due to the backed up court dockets.) Then, the judge trial throws out the case because the PROSECUTING ATTORNEY did something wrong...and in my eyes, had the case won! Little frustrating to not have it "finished" after spending so much time there.

Second time, another murder trial. Started with a pool of 100+ potential jurors, so the process of eliminating them took a week by itself. Was one of the last 3 or 4 people excused.

The last letter I got, called the machine, told to call back next day, then got excused. Waiting for the next time....they seem to like me there!

Comment

I really don't mind doing it. Being a juror that is. I spent two weeks on the attempted murder trial and we found him guilty. I believe that "Trial by jury" is a proper way to go, but wasting people's time is not cool. And how come many people never get called up? While others get it over and over? Weird.

Since we're being made to put our life's on hold... make it happen.
            Just seems to be very disorganized in my opinion.
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
              I believe that "Trial by jury" is a proper way to go, but wasting people's time is not cool..
              Agreed. Also, with the ease in which a judge can simply overturn a jury verdict if it's not how they like it, it seems to be a futile, almost ceremonial process.

Comment

Well when I was still on the islands I found myself on the list and got myself off stating that I catch bus and no can make em down in time.

FINALLY the getting out ran out on me so I went down to Circuit Court and the horrorible stories are indeed true.

Lots and lots of waiting around but haaaay youre getting paid for it!
                But then again I don't remember getting a check for it being it was long time ago.

So seconds await before we go in and I see a lawyer that I used to work for.
                Then I go into the courtroom and the judge makes the usual announcement to us saying that if you are unable to complete being a juror blah blah blah please stand up and step foward.
                And what made me stand up was one of the lawyers was upfront with the judge.

So when my turn came I said something in the realms of I am unable to be a juror cause I point to the lawyer that I used to work for.

The judge flips thru some papers and the prosecuting attorney on my left (I think) said I have no objections here.....

Then the judge excuses me and whew hoo!

FREE AT LAST!

Since then I have never been called in again for JURY DUTY in Hawaii nor here in California.

My roomate got called in for Scott Peterson though...

Comment

I'm supposed to go to lunch with my brothers today, (something we do once in awhile) when my co-worker calls in, he cant make it in today because he has jury duty, so now I might not be able to go to lunch with my brothers because I will have to cover for my co-worker. =(
                  Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

What I would give to be on JURY DUTY!!!!

Yes! I receive letters to be on Jury Duty. However, I send it back sadly with a doctor's note and my reason. I have Mental Illness.

What I would give to be selected and be like one of you to be chosen...unfortunately, I can't.

Auntie Lynn
                    Last edited by 1stwahine; March 28, 2007, 08:23 AM.
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                      I'm supposed to go to lunch with my brothers today, (something we do once in awhile) when my co-worker calls in, he cant make it in today because he has jury duty, so now I might not be able to go to lunch with my brothers because I will have to cover for my co-worker. =(
                      Does he work with Menehune Man? Then he's off the hook!
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                      X