Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you ready for the next shipping strike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are you ready for the next shipping strike?

Here is an entry from HawaiiStories about the walkout in 2002. It didn't last that long and even back then the walkout was on the mainland side where as the one in the 1970's it was workers on the Hawaii side that strike (it could have been the mainland side as well).

Comment

I caught an article about this possibility in yesterday's StarBulletin. In the afternoon I went to WalMart and bought 48 rolls of toilet paper. This adds to the 24 unopened rolls I already have that I bought about 2 years ago. Can never be unprepared for this kind of thing.

Plus with hurricane season still around, it is a good idea to stock up on staples and emergency supplies. Like the other day I just bought a new radio that has a weather band frequency since my other broke last year after the earthquake.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

There was an old local comic strip called "Aloha Eden" where one guy tells the other that his basement was flooding. He runs off because he had his stash of toilet paper down there from the strike.

I remember that strike. No toilet paper and no rice. Lots of us ended up using paper towels and other means of cleaning up, so when the phrase "Dock Strike" hits the headlines, older folks instinctively go out and hoard the essentials.

Thank God for the Super Ferry. The potential strike couldn't come at a better time for the SF.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          No toilet paper and no rice. Lots of us ended up using paper towels and other means of cleaning up, so when the phrase "Dock Strike" hits the headlines, older folks instinctively go out and hoard the essentials.
          Paper towels are quite thick and can clog the plumbing.

But yes, older folks do stock up. When I was living on the Big Island one of our neighbors had a whole room filled with toilet paper and rice just because there was an article or something that said "dock strike."

Now I don't know how the SuperFerry can save the day since most of our goods come on container ships from the mainland. I guess people on Kauai and Maui will be able to bring their vehicles to Honolulu and stock up here to take stuff back home. In that regard it is a good idea to stock up now before the neighbor islanders come here and compete for our supplies.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I understand stocking up on food in case of a possible strike but why is there always a mad dash for toilet paper? I mean, how bad is it when you run out of toilet paper? Just walk over to the bath tub and wash your behind.

Comment

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...light=pandemic

So, preps are not simply for the paranoid....when they've got you by the short and curlies.
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                I understand stocking up on food in case of a possible strike but why is there always a mad dash for toilet paper? I mean, how bad is it when you run out of toilet paper? Just walk over to the bath tub and wash your behind.
                The trick is to use crumpled up "pieces" of newspapers or magazines and den wash your behinds.

In dee old days ~ dey used large leaves.

I no kid you.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                  In dee old days ~ dey used large leaves.
                  Toilet paper was invented because of indoor plumbing. Before that, no body would buy something just the throw it down the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    There was an old local comic strip called "Aloha Eden" where one guy tells the other that his basement was flooding. He runs off because he had his stash of toilet paper down there from the strike.
                    Corky Trinidad's old strip (he's currently the SB's editorial cartoonist.) In fact, I think I have that exact strip somewhere.

Comment

When I ran for Council, I gave a speech in front of the Longshoremans Union - ILWU.

The first thing I said to a room full of big guys was "When I run out of rice and TP, can I come to your house to get some?"

Needless to say, the stink-eye was everywhere. Right after that I said, "There is no problem with out school system. If your brat would shut the hell up, my daughter would be able to get an education."

Folks never elect the person who is telling the balls-to-the-wall TRUTH.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                        When I ran for Council, I gave a speech in front of the Longshoremans Union - ILWU.

The first thing I said to a room full of big guys was "When I run out of rice and TP, can I come to your house to get some?"

Folks never elect the person who is telling the balls-to-the-wall TRUTH.
                        Tim, I wish I was there. I would have given you a standing ovation!

Bravo!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                          [...]I mean, how bad is it when you run out of toilet paper? Just walk over to the bath tub and wash your behind.
                          Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                          The trick is to use crumpled up "pieces" of newspapers or magazines and den wash your behinds.

In dee old days ~ dey used large leaves.[...]
                          Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          Toilet paper was invented because of indoor plumbing. Before that, no body would buy something just the throw it down the hole.
                          Not to mention...corn cobs. Just google "corn cob"+toilet! <ggg>

Comment

Newspaper, leaves, corncobs, water, babywipes, toiletpaper, grass, sand, Sears catalogues, washcloths, washable flannel, fabric scraps, your left hand, the dogs tongue, a sponge, paper towels....
                            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

How's about bulk ordering toliet paper from a web site and having it air shipped to Hawaii?

Sure it might be more expensive but then again toliet paper don't weigh that much.

Comment

Besides wages, benefits and pensions, here are some of the other things on the table for the shipping clerks:

The union wants access to company computers to make sure their work has not been outsourced to nonunion employees. The companies want to leave vacant the jobs of departing temporary workers and those who quit or retire unless there is a true business need to replace them.
                                Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X