Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you ready for the next shipping strike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are you ready for the next shipping strike?

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    Yes, unions are the main cause, if not a close second, as to why cost of living in Hawaii is so high. Imagine if there was no Jones Act, the cost of shipping would go down. Imagine if the debate of building rail did not involve union labor, I bet it would no where be the billions they are quoting. Yeah, I know, we can't undercut everything to a point where our standard of living degrades but $53/hr.....that's more like a king's standard of living.
    Just to jogged your memories a bit on the different views regarding the Jones Act when Case and Akaka ran against each other. Akaka won.
    Taken from our Sister Site at HawaiiNews.com
    http://www.hawaiinews.com/archives/p...s/000414.shtml

MODERATOR: Congressman Case, you and your opponent differ on the Jones Act, which requires that cargo ships between U.S. ports can only travel in ships built, owned, and crewed by Americans. Should Hawaii be exempt from the Jones Act?

CASE: Is it fair that our federal government creates a monopoly over any key aspect of life in Hawaii? Is it fair that our federal government provides one company, effectively, with the ability to control, to dominate, the lifeline that we have between here and the Mainland for all of our goods? Because that's exactly what the Jones Act does. Yes there's another company, but between them they're a duopoly and frankly Matson dominates that other company, they cross-ship cargo, as an example. 97, 98 percent of our goods come down here from the Mainland. They all come by shipping. We don't have the ability to go to rail, to buses, to trucks, even to air cargo -- that doesn't work, it's too expensive. So when somebody gets a hold of our lifeline, that's a dangerous sign for us. And we're paying for it in spades, thousands of dollars for each and every citizen of this country and this state, far more money for businesses that employ people and have to deal with those goods and services. That's not fair, and that's not the way it should be. We have laws in this country against the creation of monopolies, we believe monopolies are bad. Yet in this case, a federal law creates a monopoly. By the way, it's not just goods and services coming down from the mainland, it's also getting our products to the markets on the mainland. Let's take the cattle industry on the Big Island, or any of the other neighbor islands that I represent. That cattle industry wants to get its products to market as fast as possible. To ship from Kawaihae, in the case of the Big Island, to Stockton, California. They can't do that. Why? Because there's no shipping that can come in because Matson won't do it. Instead, they have to ship it to Honolulu, sit around Honolulu Harbor for a while, waiting for a ship. Consequence? Time is money. That's not the right thing, that's not the right business for our federal government to be in. I do believe in the repeal of the Jones Act, at least with respect to insular parts of our country like Hawaii.

MODERATOR: Senator Akaka, your response?

AKAKA: Yes. The Jones Act is a critical component to protecting local jobs and national security. There has been bipartisan support of that bill by all of the presidents. These leaders recognize as I do, the strategic importance of our ports and our high quality labor force working in the maritime industry. And the Jones Act protects all of these. The Navy League of the U.S. says that the Jones Act is critical to U.S. national security, and it also helps our economy. The domestic shippers and ship builders that come under the Jones Act do contribute in terms of federal taxes. Hawaii receives $232 million in taxes every year on this.

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; July 21, 2007, 03:21 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      Is there a School to learn Tact? Cause I got Ballz to tell dee TRUTH but I don't have TACT!
      I wish. I could use some schooling myself. The only one I know of is the School of Hard Knocks - no tact and get one knock upside the head.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        I wish. I could use some schooling myself. The only one I know of is the School of Hard Knocks - no tact and get one knock upside the head.
        heheheh...

Das da one I wen GRADUATE from with Honors!

I wen learn how to give plenny Whack Whacks!

Ahhhh...to keep OT ~ I juss bought Toilet Paper and Rice. hahahaha
        Wat? I'm an old fut! I scared. NOT!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I wen learn how to give plenny Whack Whacks!
          No, no, no .... you learn by GETTING wacks!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            No, no, no .... you learn by GETTING wacks!
            Eh!! Who you been talking to?

HAHAHAHAHAH

Wait till I see you at this year's Xmas Party!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              Yes, so very true. Happens every time the word "strike" is mentioned in the papers or on the TV news. The oldtimers instinctively head to Long's and proceed to buy out the store's entire stock of toilet paper, no matter if they already have enough for themselves for the next 6 months. Over the last 20 years, it's thoughtless people like them (not the ILWU) that have created shortages and inconvienienced everyone else through their panic-buying.
              Lately it's not only the old timers. At Home Depot when the word goes out about a Hurricane bearing down on Hawaii, we run out of generators, batteries, flashlights and tarps. Who's buying them? Mostly local folks of all ages and ethnicities.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Just you wait til the word 'pandemic' comes by.
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Lately it's not only the old timers. At Home Depot when the word goes out about a Hurricane bearing down on Hawaii, we run out of generators, batteries, flashlights and tarps. Who's buying them? Mostly local folks of all ages and ethnicities.

I see those items as being more important than toilet paper though.

As an isolated island chain, I wonder if our govt has the insight to stockpile anything?

Comment

At Home Depot when the word goes out about a Hurricane bearing down on Hawaii, we run out of generators, batteries, flashlights and tarps.
                    And a record number of returns when it fizzles out?

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                      Just you wait til the word 'pandemic' comes by.
                      Susie, I think the US is more prepared for a pandemic than we are for the "accidental" poisoning of the citizenry by tainted food (imported or grown domestically). At least the feds and the states have conferences and preparedness drills for such disasters every now and then. But they take a more laissez-faire approach to keeping the nation's food supplies safe. The state and federal governments are funding research and monitoring programs for bird flu and mad cow, but they're taking funding and facilities away from the FDA, which along with the Dept. of Agriculture, is supposed to be keeping our food supplies safe for consumption.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Ah, but the threat of a shipping strike vs a hurricane's approach are two different animals and understandably need to be handled differently.

And while it is true that the threat of a hurricane might result in a "run" on certain items, the nature of the things we are talking about is different. Homeowners don't "stock up" on generators. They either have one that works or they don't. Similar with all the other Home Depot merchandise you mention. What I was talking about were folks who already had more than an ample supply of toilet paper (say 6 months worth) and they proceed to go out and attempt to buy 2 years worth in reaction to a news story about the "remote" possibility of a shipping strike. Toilet paper isn't suddenly going to "get old" like batteries in a year's time, right? This is what I meant by needless panic-buying.

But your point is taken, Craig. You do have a few "young 'uns" who are also guilty of needless panic-buying when it comes to the possibility of shipping disruption, which is what this thread was talking about. But hurricane/natural disaster preparedness is another matter.
                        Last edited by Frankie's Market; July 22, 2007, 07:00 PM.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          And while it is true that the threat of a hurricane might result in a "run" on certain items, the nature of the things we are talking about is different. Homeowners don't "stock up" on generators. They either have one that works or they don't. Similar with all the other Home Depot merchandise you mention. What I was talking about were folks who already had more than an ample supply of toilet paper (say 6 months worth) and they proceed to go out and attempt to buy 2 years worth in reaction to a news story about the "remote" possibility of a shipping strike. Toilet paper isn't suddenly going to "get old" like batteries in a year's time, right? This is what I meant by needless panic-buying.

But your point is taken, Craig. You do have a few "young 'uns" who are also guilty of needless panic-buying when it comes to the possibility of shipping disruption, which is what this thread was talking about. But hurricane/natural disaster preparedness is another matter.
                          For my parents' generation (the ones who were born or who were youngsters during the Depression or during WW2), they remember some of the shortages and rationing they endured back then, and sometimes I think they forget that in these times, having a 6 month supply of toilet paper is certainly more than enough to last through the longest shipping strike the government would allow before stepping in. Even without the threat of a shipping strike or other emergency, I remember my Mom stockpiling not only the TP and Spam and rice, but stuff like Crest toothpaste too!

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

<sigh> Contract talks between Local 63 and the shippers is off again, and unless a major act of Divine Intervention occurs, it looks like the union folks will walk.

“Each side has moved as far as they feel they can go at this point and can’t go any further,” he said.

Earlier, John Fageaux Jr., president of the Local 63 Office Clerical Unit of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, said workers were ready to strike.

“Talks are over. … We’ve gone as far as we could go and done everything we could do,” Fageaux said in comments to the radio station. “The next step is we’re going to get together with our group and determine when and where picket signs are going to go up.”
                            Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              <sigh> Contract talks between and the shippers is off again, and unless a major act of Divine Intervention occurs, it looks like the union folks will walk.Miulang
                              So wat? Do we go nuts and go to Longs NOW?

Are we truly affected by this Strike?

Cause if not...stop making people SCARED!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

So wat? Do we go nuts and go to Longs NOW?

Are we truly affected by this Strike?

Auntie Lynn
                                Depends on how long the walk out is for. If it goes on for too long, the feds could step in and invoke the Taft Hartley Act, which would force the union back to the bargaining table with federal negotiators while they continue to work towards a settlement. Strikers would also have to go back to work during this period.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X