Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you ready for the next shipping strike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you ready for the next shipping strike?

According to the parties involved in the negotiations, only a "few" things are left to settle in the negotiations with the shipping clerks in California: "minor" things like wages and benefits. The shipping clerks could have gone on strike as of this past Monday, but they are still at the negotiating table.

If they do walk, the longshoremen say they will honor the shipping clerks' picket line, which means that nothing will get shipped out of CA (40% of all goods get shipped into and out of LA and Long Beach ports) for the duration of a strike.

Better make that Costco run for rice, toilet paper, SPAM and sardines before everyone else does---just in case!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Are you ready for the next shipping strike?

Whew....at least the strike is on the other end and not here on our island docks. How much of our stuff comes through there, and not SF? Perhaps this is still a big worry because most of our stuff comes through the one place that could strike? Need input.....
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Shipping strikes usually don't affect the military commisaries. It's only the ones of us who depend on civilian stores that get bothered. and as Miulang stated, approx. 40% of our supplies come out of LA/Long Beach so if they strike, there will be shortages. I don't know if that % is accurate but suffice to say that it is a LOT! and shipping strikes DO affect the docks here: no ships unloading means no work for our local longshoremen. That means a hit to the local economy also. Shipping strikes are not good for the islands at all.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

WHAT ? I just put a pallet full of furniture and household items on a boat yesterday to Hilo (sails today). This is a private company tho (DHX)

They didnt say anything to me so, hopefully I will be ok
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
          WHAT ? I just put a pallet full of furniture and household items on a boat yesterday to Hilo (sails today). This is a private company tho (DHX)

They didnt say anything to me so, hopefully I will be ok
          Depends if the strike happens and if the longshoremen in Hawai'i honor the picket lines in CA. In that case, your stuff might get stuck on a boat somewhere until the strike is over.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The last strike was not pretty

Comment

It wouldn't. First of all no one has actually gone on strike. Secondly if they did go on strike it would affect the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                If they do walk, the longshoremen say they will honor the shipping clerks' picket line, which means that nothing will get shipped out of CA (40% of all goods get shipped into and out of LA and Long Beach ports) for the duration of a strike.

Better make that Costco run for rice, toilet paper, SPAM and sardines before everyone else does---just in case!
                Umm... bull.

"Nothing will get shipped out of CA," you say? You're starting to sound like Chicken Little again.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/07/18/b...s/story01.html

This time, any potential shutdown doesn't figure to have as much impact in Hawaii as it did in 2002, because other ports in Oakland, Calif., and Tacoma, Wash., would continue operating.
                Stop trying to whip people into a frenzy.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  It wouldn't. First of all no one has actually gone on strike. Secondly if they did go on strike it would affect the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach.
                  Not necessarily, according to this story in today's Pacific Business News. The Hawai'i longshoremen working under the ILWU would honor the strike in California.

Miulang

Comment

I shop military commissaries once a week, and have here for 13 +yrs. When the strike at our docks happened a few years ago, dang, what year was that? we eventually were told we could only buy two packs of toilet paper at a time, so the strike can and did affect our commissaries that much. I can't know how a longer strike would affect us.

Did the workers in Southern CA. honor our last strike from here? Seems we were not given any indication they did.

I'm not worried about this current one. I don't see it strongly affecting us here.

Comment

Not necessarily, according to this story in today's Pacific Business News. The Hawai'i longshoremen working under the ILWU would honor the strike in California.
                      I can understand our local longshoremen not loading ships bound for Los Angeles or Long Beach where the strike takes place but what sort of logic falls into place where they refuse to work on loading (or off-loading) ships bound for places other than Los Angeles or Long Beach?

Comment

Not necessarily, according to this story in today's Pacific Business News.
                        That story seems very positive that a strike won't happen:

"Craig Merrilees, communications director with the 15,000-member International Longshore and Warehouse Union, said the 930 members of Local 63 OCU, or office clerical workers, made "good progress" before breaking off talks late Monday evening.
                        "Everybody's trying to reach a settlement," Merrilees said."

That's the UNION guys talking.

The Hawai'i longshoremen working under the ILWU would honor the strike in California.
                        And Governor Lingle can use emergency powers in an Executive Order to order them back to work. Immediately.
                        It's been done in the past, here and all over the country.
                        There will, quite simply, be no shortage.
                        Why anyone would post something to inspire a panic escapes me.
                        Last edited by LikaNui; July 18, 2007, 07:10 PM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Back in 2002, we didn't notice any shortages because it was a short strike. However, the strike back in the early 70's went on for 3 months and was not fun, and we had many shortages. and PJ is right - there are other ports for shipping. Plus, many merchants will bring things in by air now.

Karen - the strike you're talking about was on the docks of LA/Long Beach, not here. But, longshoremen will honor their union brothers. So what happens there does affect us here - if no ships are getting loaded, there is nothing to unload here.

As for myself, I'm not going to panic because I have 48 rolls of TP stashed away in my closet
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Anapuni.....help me here. I remember a strike that was our own dockworkers, yes? no? Wow.....it was then said to be the first strike here in decades of time. Hmm.....well, onward thru the fog.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                              This time, any potential shutdown doesn't figure to have as much impact in Hawaii as it did in 2002, because other ports in Oakland, Calif., and Tacoma, Wash., would continue operating.
                              There was a strike in 2002? Man, I must be really suffering from CRS....

The one I (kinda) remember was late 60s/early 70s. Nasty. That's the one that causes everyone to quickly grab toilet paper and rice when supplies are threatened.

Comment

Working...
                              X