This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What's for Dinner - Chapter 4

Steak and chicken combo and a cup of Mountain Dew from Blazin Steaks at Ala Moana.

Comment

Steak and chicken combo plate lunch with a cup of Mountain Dew from Blazin Steaks at Ala Moana Food Court.

Comment

Honeycomb Tripe

A quick and simple meal to serve two.

Ingredients:-

2 pounds of honeycomb tripe
        1 large onion
        1 clove of garlic
        1 pint of milk
        8 cloves
        Wine vinegar
        Unsalted butter
        A few potatoes.

Method:-

I use a Wok for this as it's big enough to accomodate all the ingredients.

Chop the onion into thin slices and fry in unsalted butter until they are just soft. Add the tripe which has been cut into inch sqaure pieces.
        Fry in the finely choped garlic (please don't use a garlic press).
        Count in the cloves because they have to be counted out before serving.
        Reduce the heat and add the milk. Stir constantly and you will be surprised how 2 pounds of tripe will absorb all these flavours and still reduce right down,
        Serve with Chips (ie French fries) Wine vinegar and dry toast.

Comment

Pomai's recipe for Jook--my first try. It's midnight and I'm still full.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
            Pomai's recipe for Jook--my first try. It's midnight and I'm still full.
            Hey ! Thanks for that contribution. Do you have a link to share or a recipe ?

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
              Hey ! Thanks for that contribution. Do you have a link to share or a recipe ?
              Here is the soup thread. I must warn you, however; the soups here are to be approached with trepidation and care, for they are THE BESTEST!!

Sorry, I had to do that....

Really, though, I vouch for Aunty's portugese bean soup and Pomai's Jook. I made both with "my own touch" and they came out great. I did find the most important flavor I enjoyed in both was cilantro. It was cooked in with the PBS and added as a topping for the Jook.

Happy cooking! (now where is that pot of jook?)

Comment

Cold cut sandwiches, poke, chips & dip and a can of Mountain Dew.

Comment

Chicken Chasseur

Last night was Burns night over here. That Scot's claim to fame was the song Auld Lang Syne. The result of celebrating his birthday was that we had to eat that disgusting Haggis. (Yuk ! I would not put that slimy stuff in my mouth.)
                  Today it is our Chinese New Year - Kung Hee Fat Choy.

I am hungry but I am not doing a Chinese meal. Instead, I am cooking a traditional French dish, ie. Chicken Chasseur or Chicken, hunter style.

Ingredients for Servings
                  4 Chicken breast(s) 1 Onion(s) 1/2 tin(s) Tomatoes (tinned) 115 ml Chicken stock 4 tbsp Wine (dry, white) 40 g Mushrooms 2 tbsp Olive oil 25 g Flour (plain) 2 Garlic clove(s) Salt to taste Pepper to taste Parsley to garnish

Method

Heat oil in a deep based oven proof casserole dish. A cast iron dish is ideal. Brown the chicken thighs or lightly cook the breast fillets. When the chicken is lightly brown add the onions and garlic and cook slowly until the onions are clear. Add the can of tomatoes, the glass of white wine, the tomato paste and stock cube and heat through. Place the lid on and put into the preheated oven for one hour. Add the cleaned button mushrooms, the mixed herbs and replace into the oven for a further thirty minutes. Some people like a browned top to their chicken Chasseur in which case do not replace the lid of the casserole dish for the last thirty minutes of the cooking time. Season to taste and serve. Thicken with more tomato paste if required.

Cook's tip I like to use some herbes de Provence in this recipe.
                  Save any bones from the chicken if you buy a whole one and decide to skin it yourself. Roast the bones along with the skin. Then boil for about an hour. When sieved, this makes a beautiful chicken stock (I also boil the giblets) This can be cooled and popped into the freezer and will keep for many months. It is better than a stock cube.

I will be serving this later today with a glass of Liebfraumilch and some crunchy French bread.

Comment

humble, easy food, now that i'm back in night school and eric's schedule is so busy that we have only two evenings a week together. sauteed some onions and garlic, added two cans pink salmon (with liquid and bones), then added some brussels sprouts, chopped hot yellow peppers and fresh tomatoes. seasoned with shoyu, fresh ground pepper and a little sea salt. put that over some hot mugi gohan (rice cooked with a bit of barley) and my tummy is warmed just enough so i don't feel so lonely watching animal planet without the beau.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

That sounds lovely and probably quick to make. I've never heard of mugi gohan, so I must try it. Usually I only eat barley in the chicken soup I make. Still it's great to experiment.

Comment

the recipe is originally eric's. the basic version is salmon, onions, garlic, tomatoes and capers.
                        for the mugi gohan, I do two and a half parts brown rice to half a part of barley and add a fifth more water than I would normally for that quantity of rice.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Barry, your recipe sounds delicious - if only i could figure out the measurement equivalents without pulling out my metric conversion chart I promise to try sometime later this week though - I need something interesting to prepare this weekend.

Thanks for sharing!
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Following on from my Chicken Chasseuer

Can I tell you a funny story ? It's not true of course

A person I met was wandering across Wales when he came to a farm and on the gate it said,,,,, "Four legged chickens for sale.'

The farmer explained to him,,,, "I like a leg, so does my wife. My son and daughter also, so I bred four legged chickens."

"Well what do they taste like?" the farmer was asked.

He replied that,,,, he didn't have a clue. They were too fast for him to catch and if he wanted one ,,,, he would have to get it himself.

Comment

McTeri burger, McDouble burgers and a bottle of water from McDonalds.

Comment

i'm home with a bad cold and eric's been nursing me. he had the night off last night so he fried up an opelu and cooked up a dish i haven't had since my grandma passed away and my mom moved to portland: salmon head soup. last night's version went this way: saute onions, garlic, ginger, chopped daikon root and jalapeno slices. when onion is translucent, add about 1/2 cup fish sauce. over this, lay the salmon heads and add chopped tomato plus water to cover. bring up heat to boil then simmer and add daikon greens and choi sum, making sure not to overboil veggies. add more fish sauce and/or salt to taste.

it's not a soup for the faint of heart--digging into a salmon head for meat isn't a neat way to eat. i told eric that my grandma must be smiling down on him for his execution of this dish. nothing like someone who loves you cooking the food you love.

Comment

Working...
                                X