This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What's for Lunch - Chapter 12

Mixed plate of chicken katsu and roast beef, brown rice, mac salad and a bottle of Diet Coke Lime.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      Mixed plate of chicken katsu and roast beef, brown rice, mac salad and a bottle of Diet Coke Lime.

Nice one Helen

I can forsee even more delicacies being shared when you get the Microwave.
      Yet why stop there ? Go for a bread maker ? Susie and I have very similar gadgets which make life easier but unlike Susie I would not have dead pigs hanging about the place.
      Call me old fashioned but I still like to go to the butchers, if only to keep him in a job.

A tip :- when you get your MW, make sure it has a turntable and spend those extra few dollars on a browning dish to go with it.

Comment

Dead pigs are the only way to go in this ruined economy.

If I hang them in the house, they not only keep me company, but are much less costly than providing the butcher with employment. 2.20 per kilo, along with a bit of salt and time, instead of 16.00 a kilo and lord knows where the pig came from or how he was treated and what he had to go through to turn into delicious.

I like to think that I support local agriculture rather than paying middlemen through the nose. Here is a picture of Marcel, the local agriculturist and piggy provider...

http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Cheeseburgers and a bottle of Diet Coke Lime.

Comment

This is what's for dinner but I can't find that thread.

Flamin' Steak Again.

I fry the sirloin in olive oil and then add some spring onions.
            Then I heat up a ladle full of brandy until it ignites. Pour it over the steak and then add the dijon mustard.

I have this with potato salad to spoil myself on Valentine's day.

P.S My postman hasn't got a bad back with delivering all my Valentine cards.

Comment

since eric had to work last night, we celebrated valentine's day today with brunch at mariposa. we enjoyed bloody marys* while we munched on our popovers with strawberry butter. eric ordered a lobster dish that was off menu and i had the seafood laksa. we shared the valrhona chocolate cake as i sipped a kir royale and he sipped a justin sherry. coffee rounded it out.

even though it wasn't exactly a romantic meal (since we ate at the bar, where eric's very good friend was working and two other friends happened to be dining), it was thoroughly enjoyable. the only thing that got us to leave was the fact that eric had to work tonight. right now i'm missing eric very much bcs the last time i actually spent a whole 24 hours with him was more than a week ago. during the week, we barely have two waking hours together each day because of our mismatched work schedules and my night classes.

*mariposa's bloody marys are the best i've ever had, by the way. it's the perfect balance of tomato, spice, tart, and salt. the mix is an exclusive concoction made by one of the bartenders there. it's rumored to have fish sauce as an ingredient. if that sounds awful to you, remember that many bloody marys incorporate worchestershire sauce, whose ingredients include anchovies.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Hot dog, popcorn, rasinets and a cup of Diet Coke from Dole Theater.

Comment

Mixed plate of pork adobo and baked chicken, with brown rice, mac salad and a bottle of Diet Coke Lime.

Comment

Lunch yesterday was the taco combination plate, guacamole and an iced tea with lemon at Cholo's in the North Shore Marketplace.
                    Tip: you've gotta get there right when they open at 10:30am, or else you can plan on looooong lines waiting to get in for the rest of the day and evening.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

There's a batch of bread churning in the breadmaker that will be taken out at the next-to-last rising and cut up and rolled into snakes. Each snake gets rolled around a hotdog, then left to rise, then baked. Piggy in a blanket.

Comment

Plate lunch of veggie kebob, brown rice, mac salad, cheeseburger and a bottle of Diet Coke Lime.

Comment

Soup.

One jar of home-canned beef shanks, one of white beans, one of tomatoes, one of potatoes, one of carrots. A handful each of dehydrated corn, greenbeans, wheatberries, onion, bell pepper, peas, celery, and leeks. A pinch of thyme, garlic, salt, pepper, allspice. Two beef stockcubes, a few bayleaves, and a big spoonful of taco spice. Water.

Simmer for an hour.

Comment

Pieces of teri chicken on top of fried noodles and a bottle of Diet Coke Lime.

Comment

French Creamy Mushrooms

The French like Mushrooms/ Champignons so much that they haven’t invented a word for Toadstools.
                              This is a simple and cheap recipe and is for four people.

• Mushrooms, sliced
                              • Milk
                              • 1/4 cup of unsalted butter or goose fat
                              • 1/2 cup rich cream
                              • Crunchy French Bread

Instructions

1. Stew the mushrooms in a little milk; add butter.
                              2. Boil until tender.
                              3. Add cream, and boil until of a thick, creamy consistency.
                              4. The beaten yolk of an egg can be stirred in to thicken, or flour and milk as in oyster toast.
                              5. Serve in shallow bowls

It really is delicious. We are not animals but we eat this with our fingers. Breaking a chunk of crunchy bread and scooping up the Creamed Mushrooms.

We usually have Ice cold Vichy Water with this.

Comment

Cook's note for the above recipe. Get some streaky bacon and cut the rashers into half inch strips. Then fry until very crispy. Use this as a way of conveying the cream mushroom to your mouth.

All that gorgeous fat/oil/butter is full of flavour. I sieve it into a screw top jar for next time.

Wok Hoy ! I can't really explain this but maybe one of our members will. I never clean the wok or frying pans, they are cast iron and so I just give them a wipe with oil and some kitchen roll. They gleam and never rust,,,, well they have been with me for many years.

Comment

Working...
                                X