This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What's for Lunch - Chapter 12

Garlic teri chicken plate lunch with rice, mac salad and a cup of Diet Coke from Spot's Drive Inn.

Comment

One slice Napolean's Dobash Cake. Cup of cold whole milk. ...Bad for the body, good for the soul.

Comment

Spring rolls, black bean chicken, noodles and a cup of Mountain Dew from U Choice In.

Comment

Homemade hummus on a rice cake, a Yoplait key lime pie whipped yogurt and a glass of iced green tea.

No...I didn't make the hummus. My friend did. And, if you haven't yet tried the Yoplait whipped yogurts, you're in for a treat!

Comment

chicken salad sandwich, cherries, strawberries and water.
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Home-canned beef patties with onion gravy, mashed potatoes, coleslaw, and sweet carrots.

I took ordinary hamburger patties and formed them into four small patties each, then lightly fried them and put them into canning jars, added a heaping teaspoon of dried onion soup mix to each jar, then topped the jar with water and sealed it. An hour and a half in the pressure canner at ten pounds pressure, and into the cupboard.

To prepare the meal, I spooned off the fat from the jar and put it into a frying pan to heat and mealt, adding a spoonful of flour and stirring it to make a roux, then drained the rest of the liquid from the jar into the roux, stirring all the while, until it thickened into a gravy. I added the patties and let them heat through...voila! Next time I might also add dried and powdered mushrooms, or make the sauce with added evaporated milk or red wine.

Now, about the mashed potatoes....the trick to making fluffy, non-gluey ones is this:

Peel, cube and boil potatoes until just tender...too little and they won't absorb enough milk, too much and they'll have absorbed too much cooking water....meanwhile, heat milk, butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg (optional) to almost boiling....be careful to watch the milk so that it doesn't begin to boil and escape the pot by boiling over...drain the cooked potatoes and mash or rice or puree them, I use a German noodle machine that squezes them out, or a smashing tool, but a fork will work....then add the almost-boiling milk mixture and fold in gently and spareingly...too much beating (NEVER use a mixter!), and you end up with a gluey mess....the trick is in the hot milk, use just enough and not too much.
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Cyn assembled a tasty, recession-proof medley of canned sardines, chopped tomatoes, sliced shallots & jalapeños, parsley, salt, vinegar (cider & red wine), fresh-ground pepper and brown rice with hard-boiled eggs on the side.
                Last edited by MixedPlateBroker; May 18, 2008, 12:02 PM.
                "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

SusieMisajon is way more industrious for lunch than I ever would be for dinner! Today's lunch was an elevator ride away...honey/mustard, grilled snack wrap and a senior diet coke!

Comment

Fried rice, noodles, black bean chicken and a cup of Mountain Dew from U Choice In.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      SusieMisajon is way more industrious for lunch than I ever would be for dinner! Today's lunch was an elevator ride away...honey/mustard, grilled snack wrap and a senior diet coke!
                      Ah...but this small town has no elevators.

Comment

pasta with pesto. strawberries.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        reflect, repent and reboot.
                        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Miso soup with seaweed and tofu, garnished with green onions, garlic, thai peppers, and soy sauce. Cuz I'm siiiick. (sniffle)
                          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Chicken salad sandwich and a bottle of Diet Coke with Lime.

Comment

Meatball sandwich from Subway.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

An omlette made by frying potatoes and onions in the delicious oil from my home canned chorizos, them mixing eggs with dehydrated and ground green pepper and garlic and pouring that over the spuds, covering, inverting, cooking the undesideand serving. With baked beans and homemade bread, milk to drink and to wash down the codliver oil capsule with.

Comment

Working...
                                X