Clear All

• Re: What's for Lunch - Chapter 12

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
    Roasted Prime Rib Roast w/ Au jus
    Baked Russet potatoes with three cheeses/sour cream/chives and bacon bits
    Fresh Asparagus Salad
    Peach Bavarian Cake
    Coke or Bottled Water
    WOW! That looks awesome! I could taste it from the pictures!

We had Tombstone pizza (supreme) with a couple glasses of Bonny Doon
    Pacific Rim Riesling. Tonight it the jambalaya I made yesterday and let
    meld overnight - I can't wait!

Comment

Quarter pounder with cheese, 10 piece Chicken McNuggets and a cup of Diet Coke from the McDonalds Express at Dole Cannery.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
        WOW! That looks awesome! I could taste it from the pictures!
        Mahalo.

Today's menu:

Kalbi, LauLau, Kalua Pig, Lomi Salmon, Poi or Rice.

Trying to squeeze in lots of island delicacies before my daughter leaves for Iraq.
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
          Okay...having looked up 'turkey wrap' on Google....

Sort of a turkey burrito without the beans, as far as I can see. All very convenient and fast. But I think that I'd rather fill out with a good wholegrain bread and make a sandwich, instead. Tortillas are bland, so you end up with way more meat and ingredients than 'cover', probably more than you need.

wraps were exceedingly popular during the low-carb (and therefore anti-bread) craze, which reached its peak circa 2005 with the bankruptcy of the atkins foundation. the atkins diet was among the most popular of the low-carb lifestyles. you note the lack of beans, which is also a component of low-carb-y-ness. more extreme wraps featured the use of whole leaf lettuce in place of any bready parts.

this is late, but i have to tout our lunch on new year's eve, which we enjoyed at our newest plate lunch darling, ethel's grill. we devoured happily the ahi tataki side order ($5), the fried hamachi kama (< $11), and the local style hamburger steak (you can get it japanese style, too--both under $8). we've eaten there three times in about two weeks and today might be the fourth.

reviews from yelp, including one less-than-completely enthusiastic one from ryan are here.

matthew gray, formerly of the advertiser, describes ethel's here.

reid of onokinegrindz.com, in our opinion, has the best description and pictures about ethel's here.

our lunch should have cost us about $26, which sounds like a lot for plate lunch. however, my hamachi kama plate came with two very large, perfectly cooked and delicately meaty collars for just under $11. you'd be hard pressed to find hamachi kama so excellently executed for that price. additionally, each plate comes with homestyle miso soup and a side salad dressed with ethel's signature parsley dijon. still, they charged us only $17, waving me off with a smile when i said they forgot about the tataki.

we've also tried ethel's garlic ahi, teri chicken, and mahi--dishes done by countless others elsewhere in hawaii. only a small percentage of cooks--with or without formal culinary training or a resume tilted to fine dining--are able to execute these plate lunch staples with the level of skill that ethel's does.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Cheeseburger, fries, and iced tea with lemon, from Uncle Bobo's Smoked BBQ in Ka`a`awa (across Swanzy Beach Park, next to the post office and the 7-11).

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Ok, I'm gonna try this wrap thing, today.

I went out and bought some very expensive speciality food item from the gourmet isle tortillas, and I have some home canned chicken breasts in BBQ spice that are pretty good and seem to be crying out to be wrapped along with lettuce, onions, expensive winter tomatoes and a hoarded last package of hard-to-get Ranch dressing.

This had better be good.
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                wraps were exceedingly popular during the low-carb (and therefore anti-bread) craze, which reached its peak circa 2005 with the bankruptcy of the atkins foundation.[...]
                Ok, I'm gonna try this wrap thing, today.[...]
                I remember wraps long before the low carb fad hit. Over a decade ago I used to buy 'designer' tortillas for wraps at the now defunct Strawberry Connection. They were kept in the big refrigerated lockers; the ones that required shoppers to don the supplied parkas! The plain, ol', run-of-the-mill, flour tortillas are the equivalent of white bread, afaic. But, I used them as wraps for years prior to the availability of the newer ones. Corn tortillas are too small and aren't as pliable as flour. I also use the designer tortillas as pizza crust.

There's a booth at the KCC farmer's market that makes killer roasted veggie wraps. They use a dressing that takes a wrap to a new level! And, a new wrap joint just opened in Discovery Bay but I haven't tried it yet.

I make a breakfast wrap that includes a scrambled egg, chicken/apple/gouda sausage, a little shredded cheddar cheese, sliced tomato and a heaping dollop of Costco's mango/peach salsa, wrapped in a spinach tortilla. Love it!

You're right, Susie, burrito is a good analogy. Let us know the result of your wrap experiment.

Comment

OH, NO!!!!! Wraps come in flavours?!!!!

Only in the US.

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade ones?

Comment

FYI, a technical point from Mananaland......anything wrapped in a corn tortilla is a taco. Anything wrapped in a flour tortilla is a burrito. Spinach tortilla??? Might as well eat quiche!
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                      [...]Spinach tortilla??? Might as well eat quiche!
                      Obviously I'm not a purist!!! I love the sun-dried tomato tortillas, too! Ditto for the herb infused low-carb tortillas! Mexico is reeling, I'm sure!

Susie...have you searched google for recipes?

Comment

Polish sausage, turkey wrap and a cup of Diet Coke from Costco.

Comment

Right, we tried the wraps. I opted for homemade ones made in the bread machine with leftover garlic lard from a Cristmas roast, and inside there were chicken breast chunks canned in BBQ spice, bitter leaves of curly friseé, cherry tomatoes, and extra-thick Ranch dressing. The kids ate the extra tortillas with Nutella (yuck, garlic and Nutella).

I will say that, while they were okay, they were a pain to eat, very messy, and the dough was too chewy and too thin. Maybe baked would have been better. Or eaten as a salad with the tortillas on the side.

It wasn't all a loss, though, as I did learn to make tortillas. But the next batch will be eaten baked, with beans and melted cheese.

Comment

I opted for homemade ones made in the bread machine with leftover garlic lard from a Cristmas roast, though, as I did learn to make tortillas. But the next batch will be eaten baked,
                            Mexico has just gone into apoplectic fit! Tortillas are hand mixed and are grilled in a skillet or on a hot iron with just a little bit of oil.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                              Mexico has just gone into apoplectic fit! Tortillas are hand mixed and are grilled in a skillet or on a hot iron with just a little bit of oil.

But, but, but....I got the recipe from Google!

Bread Machine Tortillas Recipe
                              2 cups bread flour
                              1/2 teaspoon salt
                              3 tablespoons shortening
                              1/2 cup water

Place all ingredients in your machine's fully assembled pan, in the order specified by your machine's manual. Select the dough cycle and press start.

The dough should form a nice ball of dough. You may need to add a tablespoon of water or flour to get it there. when the dough cycle is finished kneading, stop the machine and remove the dough to a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough in to 8 equal size chunks.

On a lightly floured surface coat both sides of the ball with flour and roll out to a shape that is as round as you can get. Cook the tortilla in a heavy skillet that has a light coating of oil or pan spray. Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until there are little black burnt looking spots. Remove from the skillet to a plate and cover with a towel. The tortillas should not be stiff. Repeat with the remaining dough balls.

Comment

But, but, but....I got the recipe from Google!

Bread Machine Tortillas Recipe
                                2 cups bread flour.

No, you use masa harina for flour tortillas. Susie,I'm just having fun with you, but I will have to treat you to a real wrap someday. You will like it.

Just to level the playing field, a Mexican's idea of French cooking is French Fries!

Comment

Working...
                                X