Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rare, Medium Rare, Medium, Medium-Well or Well Done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare, Medium Rare, Medium, Medium-Well or Well Done?

Upon watching a Food Network program today, the person was cooking fresh Tuna steaks, which brought to mind how crucial it is when cooking fish to the proper finish.

Over-cook it and it becomes carboard. Actually to me, grilling Ahi PERIOD is a sin, if it's prime fresh stuff, I'd really prefer it RAW. But searing just the outside is OK in my book. At the most, rare to medium-rare and NOTHING beyond that.

How about (beef) steak? How do like yours? I'm a medium-rare to rare kinda' guy. Yet not "moo-ing". lol Medium or beyond that is a CRIME!

Chicken and Pork mostly have to be at least medium-well for safety reasons. Right? Personally, even with this stuff, I tend to cook it just about medium to retain "juicyness". Never got sick yet.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Rare, Medium Rare, Medium, Medium-Well or Well Done?

Ake is best raw.

Tongue is best rare.

Rib eye is best medium.

Brisket should be boiled until soft.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      How about (beef) steak? How do like yours?
      Medium to medium-well.

Medium or beyond that is a CRIME!
      Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned.
      Repeatedly.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

How about (beef) steak? How do like yours?
        Pan-fry? Medium to medium-well.
        Oven-baked/roasted or grilled? Medium-rare.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

1)Actually to me, grilling Ahi PERIOD is a sin, if it's prime fresh stuff, I'd really prefer it RAW. But searing just the outside is OK in my book. At the most, rare to medium-rare and NOTHING beyond that.

2)How about (beef) steak? How do like yours?

3)Chicken and Pork mostly have to be at least medium-well for safety reasons. Right? Personally, even with this stuff, I tend to cook it just about medium to retain "juicyness".
          1) I agree whole-heartedly!
          2) When ordering a steak out... I say "As rare as you'll give it to me, please!",
          while my wife on the other hand prefers hers well done. Ugh.
          3) cooked but still moist.

Geez, and all I brought for dinner tonight was a salad. HaHa!
          Maybe that's why this thread interested me, eh?
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

For steak, I always order medium rare. But people (and restaurants) have different definition of what medium rare is. For me, it has to be charred on the outside, mostly pink on the inside, with just a tinge of red in the middle.

Comment

What Honoruru said.

Comment

Ake ~ Rare

Kilawen Bindongo (Raw Beef with Tripe)

Kilawen Kalding (Raw Goat) Baaaaaaa!

Steak Med. Rare

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

AHI - raw
                  BEEF STEAK - medium rare
                  PRIME RIB - medium rare
                  PORK - MEDIUM
                  HAMBURGER - medium

Well-done = shoe leather!

Comment

Re: Rare, Medium-Rare, Medium, Medium-Well or Well Done?

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                    2) When ordering a steak out... I say "As rare as you'll give it to me, please!",
                    while my wife on the other hand prefers hers well done. Ugh.
                    My friend's wife also likes all her meats, including fish, cooked beyond well done; more like "jerky" done. Drives him nuts seeing such good cuts of meat get "killed" like that.

On the other hand, I've been to the Outback in Waikiki several times, and every time I ordered my steak medium-rare there, it came out under rare; more like "blue rare" (raw inside) and still "mooing". Not sure if this an Aussie thing or what. The cooks at the Hawaii Kai Outback seem to be more understanding (at least by American standards) of what exactly medium-rare is.

At least if it's UNDERCOOKED, you can always put it back on the fire, vs. being OVERCOOKED, there's no turning back. Cook me a new one.

IMO, beef is just not palatable raw, no matter how good the cut, unless perhaps its served as carpaccio. Even that, I'm not especially fond of.

Another debatable item are BBQ Pork Ribs (either spare or baby backs). Some like it where it's practically pulled pork, yet I think most experts would agree the rib bone should just be loose enough from the meat, but still have a little "grab" to it, while the meat should be tender, yet still have a little "chew". Not completely falling apart. As far as pre-cooking ribs before hitting the coals, I prefer wrapping them in foil and baking them in the oven until they reach that perfect tenderness as described above, then I finish them over the charcoal fire for that seared and smoked flavor, adding the BBQ sauce last.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Ahi- rare
                      Steak(ribeye, strip, fillet) Rare, Medium rare at the MOST.
                      Burgers-medium well
                      Pork-medium well
                      Chicken- WELL
                      Duck-Medium rare/medium
                      Boar-well
                      Salmon-medium
                      Mahi-medium/medium well
                      Reef fish-well
                      flickr

An email from God:
                      To: People of Earth
                      Date: 9/04/2007
                      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                      God

Comment

I like steaks bloody rare, but hamburgers burnt to a crisp. go figure.
                        "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

I love rare. I tend to order medium rare, or (as Menehune Man says) "as rare as you like it," as of course some restaurants ask you to sign a liability waiver if you insist on even slightly pink meat.

Of course, this can backfire. Last week I cooked some steaks a little too rare, and both my wife and I paid the price the next couple of days.

But it's so-o-o-o-o good...

Comment

I like my steak medium. I don't like sandwhiches so I don't eat hamburgers. I'll eat hamburger in a taco or spaghetti and meat sauce - but not in a patty on a bun. I'm really picky about things that swim too. Absolutely no raw seafood. It's a texture thing - kind of like tomato juice. I like certain very mild fish, scallops, shrimp. My Ahi has to be from a can, mixed with mayo. And then, only on occasion. I tend to eat a lot of chicken.

Comment

For the first time, we checked out BLAZIN' STEAKS in Kalihi today. It's located across Kalihi post office on N. King St., near Richie's. It's in the former Pizza Hut building that was last a Filipino restaurant.

Here's my Blazin' medium-rare plate...

8oz. of Flame-grilled beef sirloin, seasoned simply with salt and pepper,
                              with 2 scoops rice and green salad (and choice of ranch, italian or
                              thousands) AND drink, $6.

2 words sums this place up (as is always the case in Kalihi): HIDDEN GEM. Highly recommended! Well, not really hidden. Hey, it DOES still look like Pizza Hut! lol

See my sig' to read the full review.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X