Hostess Chocodiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hostess Chocodiles

I thought these were new, since I'd never seen them before, but apparently, Hostess Chocodiles have been around a long time. I'd been seeing them near the entrance to the convenience store I frequent, and one day when I had the munchies and saw that they were selling two for a dollar (or something like that), I took the plunge.

Basically, they are chocolate-dipped Twinkies. Sort of a cross between a Ho-Ho and a Twinkie, I guess. The outside was definitely Ho-Ho-like, but the inside lacked any of the personality or character of a Twinkie.

I know how bad for you Twinkies allegedly are, but I will confess to enjoying one or two every few years, when I'm in the right mood. I especially like the strawberry ones, and I like them frozen or with a scoop of ice cream. Haven't had one of those deep-fried Twinkies yet, but I can't imagine how they could be anything but yummy.

Anyway, the Chocodiles: Not very good. Any other opinions out there?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Hostess Chocodiles

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    Anyway, the Chocodiles: Not very good. Any other opinions out there?
    heheheh

Nobody said nuttin yet?

Ok. I go try one today.

Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I like the captions to the photos in the Wikipedia entry that scrivener provided:

Chocodile in wrapper, Chocodile out of wrapper, dissected Chocodile
      So where on Oahu (or for the rest of the state for that matter) can you get them and what is the typical price?

Comment

There was a brief discussion of them at Chowhound.com a few years ago, too - I've seen them in Seattle from time to time (but never really looked for them.)

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
          So where on Oahu (or for the rest of the state for that matter) can you get them and what is the typical price?
          Those are some really blurry photos, too. Sheesh. No quality control over there at Wikipedia!

helen, try an Aloha convenience store. The one I got mine in was at School and Houghtailing, but I'd imagine the stock is similar at other locations.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

mmmmm...sugary, chocolatey lecithin...[drools]
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

http://news.msn.com/us/hostess-may-c...rn-by-thursday

Get um before the expiration date.

Comment

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...tess-shut-down

Twinkies were a commodity for Woody Harrelson in Zombieland.

Comment

Don't know why people are going into a tizzy over Hostess shutting down. Folks, there's obviously a large demand for Twinkies, Ding-Dongs, Ho-Hos, and Sno Balls, so those treats are not going to vanish just because of Hostess' demise. Surely, another snack food company (i.e. Nabisco, Nestle, etc.) will pick-up the rights to those iconic junk foods. There's too much money to be made to let those snacks simply disappear indefinitely.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    Surely, another snack food company (i.e. Nabisco, Nestle, etc.) will pick-up the rights to those iconic junk foods.
                    Or a smaller, retro-themed company, like the ones that now create and market classic soda flavors such as Nu-Grape and Nesbitt's.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Or a smaller, retro-themed company, like the ones that now create and market classic soda flavors such as Nu-Grape and Nesbitt's.
                      Who knows. Hostess might have gone bankrupt due to labor strife and mismanagement. But their total product sales last year was in the neighborhood of $2.5 billion. Not exactly chump change, is it? Which is why a likely candidate to carry on the Hostess brands will be a deep-pocketed conglomerate.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

How about those Dolly Madison's Zingers that sponsored the Charlie Brown tv specials?

Comment

I always liked Zingers better anyway and said so the day Hostess went under. But did you know that Hostess was one of two brands that produced Zingers? I didn't until I saw a lone box of Zingers (raspberry) on an otherwise empty Hostess shelf at Times.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hostess produced Zingers after acquiring the Dolly Madison brand. DM is also being shut down as part of the closure of Hostess.

As for competitors buying the Hostess name, it looks like El Grupo Bimbo in Mexico may have an edge; they are huge, as are Con Agra and Flowers Foods, other companies that have expressed interest.
                            Last edited by Leo Lakio; November 19, 2012, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Interesting to see today who the CEO of Hostess is: Gregory F. Rayburn. He was briefly the CEO of Muzak while I was employed there; he was brought on board to restructure the company - and was booted out after one year of failure. Massive layoffs occurred less than a year later, followed by bankruptcy, emergence from same, and an eventual sale, after a decade of trying to sell the company.

Comment

Working...
                              X