Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nobu - BEYOND Ridiculous!

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    The guy at Mitch's says he has the good stuff flown in.
    yes they do. i confirmed earlier with a source. they do also purchase through the auction block.

Comment

$675 Can buy me a round trip ticket to Waikiki, probably with a room for 3 or 4 nights.

Now, I know not to eat at Nobu.

Sorry, but the waitress pushed all the SUPER expensive stuff on you, and the fact that the steak was $27 PER POUND, should have been made VERY clear.

These kinds of places really irritate me because the food, while it may be very good, just DOES NOT warrant that kind of pricing.

A party of 3 eat at Alan Wongs probably 4 times for $675 and that's AMAZING food. I'm sure it's as good as NOBU.

You can also buy the new Logic Studio 8 program and record a great record on it, and still have money to spare.

More my speed.
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
        Reading back, I didn't make that clear. I know Kobe Beef (especially Wagyu) is very expensive. I've had it before in Japan (I wasn't paying in Japan) and San Diego - just not this expensive. When she suggested the Kobe Beef Special to us, she recommended 3 ounces - so that we could all have a taste. That's when we asked the price and she said that there are two kinds of kobe steak that they were offering - $20 and $27. All three of us understood it to be $27 for the 3 ounces. She never mentioned "per ounce" in her speech. So we asked her how much she would order if it were her - was 3 ounces enough? She replied that she would order as much as possible if someone else were paying - but that we should have at least 6 ounces to enjoy the "Nobu Experience" (no doubt it was her saying of the evening). My husband is 6'6", 280lbs so we didn't think 6 ounces was enough. Still thinking that it was $27/3 ounces we went with 10 ounces figuring it would be about $100 steak. We were going to go with 12 ounces but she said that might be too much for us and said 10 would be fine. I just figured it would be $9.00/ounce at that point. Our bad for assuming. Although, I did hear her giving the table next to us the same schpeal - recommending that they not miss out on this "special" and that even the kids would enjoy it. Can't blame her - she was probably pushing the stuff like they are supposed to.

I eat out a lot and usually know what to expect in regards to fine dining pricing. I was just way off on this one - didn't see it coming at all. Oh, well - I just chalk it up to lesson learned - ask more questions!

For $675 I could probably get Scrivener to give me the answer to today's Trivia questions!
        Knowing that now with your taking time to kindly recap the chronology I would have really done this - based my tip on what I THOUGHT it was to be and not given the generous one you did including the $270.00 steak total. It would have been a lesson (if they have brains) to realize that it is important to fully explain pricing to guests particularly if it is not made clear on the menu you were very gracious and they were not, somewhat deceptive actually. At CUT in Beverly Hills the Wagyu prices are very expensive but they are clearly indicated that it is per ounce, of course in the Beverly Wilshire they have an very high based guest profile but still it is made clear what exactly the pricing is. I am sorry for your experience what a bummer

Comment

I guess the waitress is giggling all the way to the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
            I am sorry for your experience what a bummer
            Nah....my motto is "live and learn." It was so ridiculous we couldn't stop laughing. The waitress kept looking at us like we were nuts!

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
            I guess the waitress is giggling all the way to the bank.
            Yeah....we'll we didn't fault her and gave a decent tip. She had like 6-7 tables ( and we were the smallest group)...I'm sure she made out like a bandit that night!

Hey....Maybe I should get a job there! Nah - I couldn't sell people like that...not with a straight face, anyway!
            So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Last night was my first time at Nobu in Waikiki - and probably my last. The food was excellent - we did a "family style" dinner so there were many plates coming to the table, everything from Yellowtail sashimi with jalapeno to lobster to crab to duck to loin of lamb. and then dessert! It was a party of 9 so needless to say, there was plenty of service at the table & we didn't have to wait for more drinks or clean plates. Probably in anticipation of their expected tip All in all, it was a very pleasant experience - great food and excellent company.

Now, on the other hand: the prices are unbelievable! Everything is "per piece" and per oz. as Kalei experienced. The server talked way too fast in explaining how things worked and the menu items. So I got very confused and didn't really know what was going on. Luckily someone else took over the ordering. Even though all the food tasted so good, the prices are just way too high for me to ever consider going back. If Nobu himself was doing the cooking, then maybe the prices are justified but it was his staff since he wasn't even in town.

It was definitely a once in a lifetime experience!
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                Last night was my first time at Nobu in Waikiki - and probably my last. The food was excellent - we did a "family style" dinner so there were many plates coming to the table, everything from Yellowtail sashimi with jalapeno to lobster to crab to duck to loin of lamb. and then dessert! It was a party of 9 so needless to say, there was plenty of service at the table & we didn't have to wait for more drinks or clean plates. Probably in anticipation of their expected tip All in all, it was a very pleasant experience - great food and excellent company.

Now, on the other hand: the prices are unbelievable! Everything is "per piece" and per oz. as Kalei experienced. The server talked way too fast in explaining how things worked and the menu items. So I got very confused and didn't really know what was going on. Luckily someone else took over the ordering. Even though all the food tasted so good, the prices are just way too high for me to ever consider going back. If Nobu himself was doing the cooking, then maybe the prices are justified but it was his staff since he wasn't even in town.

It was definitely a once in a lifetime experience!
                Funny you should mention "If Nobu himself......." well he is coming to spend the holidays and cook at the restaurant beginning I think tomorrow. I know I read it in the paper somewhere that he will be there actually cooking, that and golfing with Roy and Alan no doubt!

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                  Funny you should mention "If Nobu himself......." well he is coming to spend the holidays and cook at the restaurant beginning I think tomorrow. I know I read it in the paper somewhere that he will be there actually cooking, that and golfing with Roy and Alan no doubt!
                  heheheh

I wonder if somebody told him bout post #33?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Well, I have to say I did go to Nobu.........No, I didn't eat there I just walked by and thought I'd see what it looked like. There in the lobby was Nobu himself sitting at a card table with piles of books and some PR people. He welcomed us over and we ended up having a great time chatting with him and enjoying his company. Not many people knew he was there and probably he was there in anticipation of the dinner hour crowd. So I ended up buying a book for myself and one for Glossyp and have to say he was charming......... Seems we have some friends in common and that was a good ice-breaker!

Comment

Hoo boy, my dad went to a restraunt like Nobus once. Was it like a presentation restaurant? Where its how the food looks all fancy and stuff? And then they charge you LOTS.....
                      Words are one thing. Actions are another.

Comment

Working...
                      X