Christmas Dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Dinner

Or lunch, or brunch. On the eve or on the day. What's cookin' for Christmas?

Originally my sister wanted to cook another Turkey and ham (boring already), but I talked her into Prime Rib.

So between her and I, we came up with a simple, yet solid menu that's sure to please everyone. This is it:

Plaza Club's Prime Rib (actually a choice rib roast) with Au Jus and Horseradish (the recipe is an old one we've always used that's simple, yet absolulutely perfect) <I'm in charge of that job<
    Keanu's Baked Potato Medley (basically like a fully-loaded baked potato >sour cream, chives, bacon bits, cheddar cheese< turned into a potato salad format)
    Tossed Green Salad (simple)
    The Robert Redford Dessert (you must try this recipe, it's so awesome!)
    Ice Cream

Various pupus
    Ice cold beverages

My recommendation if you're new to cooking Prime Rib (beef rib roast) is to use a meat thermometer. A must. For medium-rare (of course), pull it out when it reads 105 to 110&#186;F, then let it sit for at least a half-hour covered with foil on the counter, as it will continue to cook with the residual heat.

Also, if you can spring for it, get an electric carving knife. It makes carving thin slices for serving so much easier, and you loose less meat juices due to putting less pressure on the meat while cutting.

Prime Rib is easy as long as you manage the cooking temperature properly. Look it up online. Plenty of help out there.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Christmas Dinner

We started a tradition a few years ago. We make egg rolls from scratch...real egg rolls, not those wimpy "spring rolls"...the big fat kind with meat, and all kinds of stuff wrapped in a WONTON skin, not a spring roll wrapper.
    We also do friedn shrimp with a few different dipping sauces, or sweet and sour style.

We may make Mushu this year tho'.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Wontons and egg rolls sound good. Love that stuff!

Speaking of you my brother Tikiyaki, and also speaking of Prime Rib, here's Bud the Puna Gnome and his traveling companion Tikiyaki Jr. joining us this past Easter Sunday for a Prime Rib feast!...

The sides shown include: Au Jus, Horseradish, sauteed mushrooms with wine and garlic butter, roasted Yukon Gold potatoes with EVOO and rosemary, and a simple broccoli salad from Costco.

Blackened and crusty on the outside with a melted layer of fat below it, and pink, juicy and tender inside. Perfect! All the juices that ran off went into the serving platter. Of course! That's good stuff!

Tiki Jr. wanted the electric knife to chop some wood and take out his frustrations. lol
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        Wontons and egg rolls sound good. Love that stuff!

Speaking of you my brother Tikiyaki, and also speaking of Prime Rib, here's Bud the Puna Gnome and his traveling companion Tikiyaki Jr. joining us this past Easter Sunday for a Prime Rib feast!...

The sides shown include: Au Jus, Horseradish, sauteed mushrooms with wine and garlic butter, roasted Yukon Gold potatoes with EVOO and rosemary, and a simple broccoli salad from Costco.

Blackened and crusty on the outside with a melted layer of fat below it, and pink, juicy and tender inside. Perfect! All the juices that ran off went into the serving platter. Of course! That's good stuff!

Tiki Jr. wanted the electric knife to chop some wood and take out his frustrations. lol
        No TIKI JR wanted to clone himself

Tiki Sr looking at those photos wit mouth watering.....
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

We go with the prime rib also. But we make Yorkshire Pudding to go with it. Along with mashed potatoes, lots of gravy, green beans & tomatoes and creamed onions. Since we eat later in the day, we'll have all kinds of appetizers out during the day to munch on.

Comment

I didn't think I was going anywhere for Christmas so Auntie Lynn invited me over to her place for lunch. Totally unexpectedly, my father calls me last Friday to invite me over for Christmas Dinner saying he needed to know if I was coming because my mother and him were going shopping.

This is what I have on my plate. Ribeye steak, corn on the cob, my mother's special herb infused bread, a giant scallop, fresh sauteed mushrooms, rack of lamb chops, and asparagus. Everything was so yummy!

Comment

Shrimp and rack of lamb! And, then, more lamb! Attended a buffet with mega tables full of every food imaginable! Since I don't cook either shrimp or rack of lamb I pigged out on both to the exclusion of everything else except the ice cream sundae station!

Certainly not a typical Christmas dinner but I loved every bite!

Comment

well I walked down to Zippys on Vineyard & Nuuanu at their "sunlit open seating" area and had a roast pork plate. It was tender and good.

Surprisingly there were quite a lot of other people there.
                n'importe

Comment

Christmas Eve dinner was at Gordon Biersch with the boy and about 10 of our friends. One of his friends is an employee there, so appetizers and dinner were 50% off!

Lunch at Mommy's house gave me the Filipino food fix that I was so desperately craving: pancit, lumpia, pork guisantes, apritada, pinakbet, lechon (courtesy of Uncle E), and lots of kankanen to please the stomach.

Dinner last night was at Anna Miller's after a 30 minute wait. Luckily they had their Christmas Dinner Special (turkey with all the goodies) because all day yesterday I wanted turkey and stuffing!
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Christmas Eve, dinner was with my mom's side of the family here in Mililani. Steak, shoyu chicken, sushi, poke, chicken salad, and (the big hit) king crab legs. My daughter ate all my crab, sadly.

On Christmas day, we joined my dad's side of the family at The Mandalay in downtown Honolulu, where Yong Sing used to be on Alakea Street. I'd been there once before, and remembered the prices more than the food. (The phrase "fancy Chinese food" always seemed a bit of an oxymoron to me.) Still, I was happy to give it another try and my wife was certainly curious.

Unfortunately, the special Christmas Day dinner at The Mandalay was a buffet. And not only that, it wasn't very Chinese at all. It was essentially what you'd get at a nice Western-style hotel, right down to the prime rib at the end of the line. It was good, but not $50 a head good. And not surprisingly, the Chinese selections on the buffet line - particularly the peking duck and crispy roast pork (the whole pig staring out over the dining room) - were the biggest hits. I suspect most of the people there were expecting something a little more special.

More photos (of people as well as the food) here. Still, 'twas the company that counted most, and that was spectacular. Afterward, we drive 'round Honolulu City Lights. Not as exciting as touring the displays on foot, but not as wet, either!
                    Last edited by pzarquon; December 26, 2007, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Two memorable meals this Christmas: the first a Christmas Eve dinner with dearest friends featuring a wasabi crusted rib roast, gratin potatoes (roast and potatoes cooked on a grill due to oven malfunction, but excellent results nonetheless) and wonderful green beans (from a local farm, but I don't recall the name) with a gorgeous bottle of wine. Christmas Day found one of our oldest friends with her family coming to visit bearing a delicious ham (we love pork!!!) and fresh apple & blueberry crisp. We prepared gratin potatoes, homemade dinner rolls and peas with pearl onions and toasted almonds to accompany. Lots of feasting with those nearest and dearest!

Comment

Working...
                      X