Plastic Food Displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Food Displays

I traveled to Japan many times throughout childhood, and we dined at so many awesome restaurants within the Ginza area of Tokyo. This molded what would become an absolute love of Japanese cuisine.

One of the most fascinating and alluring things I remember were all those amazing plastic (artificial) food displays displayed in glass showcases fronting the establishments. It's one thing to read the menu, but to physically SEE it almost immediately sells it. Genius!

Bringing this custom here, upon walkin past a Japanese ramen shop in Waikiki last night, I snapped these shots of their plastic food display in front...

Yes, these are all plastic displays of the real deal. Looks pretty real to me! From the peas on that fried rice, to the foam "head" topping that Kirin beer, good gracious, I want a sip and a bite! Hold the polystyrene, please. lol

When my dad was running Hawaii's papaya industry and doing marketing in Japan, he had to get a couple of those plastic displays that depicted a papaya in really ono-looking service form. It costed a hefty $500 for a custom-made plastic papaya with a scoop of of plastic ice cream in it. And another 5 "Bens" for a simple plastic papaya with a plastic lemon wedge in it.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Plastic Food Displays

Imagine, food pr0n imitating actual pr0n ...

(The comparison being the plastic or fake aspects of the performers in both scenarios.)

I remember some pretty spectacular food displays in Japan, too, from my high school exchange trip there. I love looking at the ones I run across locally, too -- just like you apparently do.

All the dishes in your shots look good enough to eat, but what got to me the most was the impressive replication of the browning on the gyoza. I'm a gyoza-junkie and after looking at that image, I'm jonesing now.

Too much to do, though, before tomorrow's big ta-da ... which reminds me, I should get offline and actually accomplish something.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year ... or as my kids' friend says, Merry Christma-Hanu-Kwanza-kah!
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      Note to self: Eat a full meal before viewing this thread.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

One of the nice things about those displays in Japan is that is that it helped me decide what I wanted and helped the language barrier since I could just point to what I wanted.

Comment

Plastic display menus have been around for quite awhile in Hawaii. FYI, the display case showed the whole menu. This was at least 40 plus years ago. The food didn`t look as real as what it shown today but it did serve its purpose.
          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

When I lived in Tokyo, I would often go out to Kappabashi, which is an area of the city that pretty much caters to the food industry. Stores there sell anything and everything restaurant-related, including "fake food."

Store after store sold nothing but "fake food." Very cool, but also very expensive.

Comment

Working...
            X