Starbucks Alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starbucks Alert

I avoided Starbucks ever since a friend in Seattle told me about how that corporation would build a franchise right across the street from some mom & pop's to drive them out of business.

The same process happened in Kahala Mall when a woman was enterprising enough to start a coffee cart right outside of Safeway. She was successful enough to expand into the mall itself. Then came Starbucks, and that destroyed a local business.

Now I call it "Evil Empire" coffee. The Microsoft of espresso. I won't even buy the Starbuck beans at the Costco near my house. I'll opt for the fresh-roasted stuff available at the Iwilei Costco despite how inconvenient it can be.

Comment

Maybe they should retrain the person resposible for ordering their supplies.

I went to a Starbucks in San Jose yesterday at 6pm and they were all out of sugar. All out of sugar? How does that happen? I'm sure that they don't go out to Safeway every day and buy a pound, hoping it will last them until the next day's trip to Safeway. So somebody effed-up big time.

What happened, did Tony Montana come in for coffee, and got crazy with the sugar? Poured it all over the table and shoved his face in it?

Comment

Ahem Paul...real coffee drinkers don't need sugar...

When I first started drinking coffee, I needed to pour on the cream and sugar until the practice of a "Warmer" always made it inconvenient to have a consistant cup of java. So I slowly weened myself off of adding anything to my cup o' joe and have sinced been a black coffee drinker since I was old enough to vote.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
          Now I call it "Evil Empire" coffee.
          That's a fitting name. Starbucks' CEO Howard Schultz certainly fits the role of the Evil Emporer. He led a group of Seattle investors who bought the Seattle Supersonics in 2001. At the time, he said he had a passion for basketball and wanted to bring a championship to the city where he got his start in business. But after a few years, he apparently lost this passion and demanded that the City of Seattle renegotiate his arena lease so he could make more profit. When the city denied his demands, he sold the team to Oklahoma investors who are now planning to move the franchise that has been in Seattle for over 40 years to Oklahoma City. Of course, Schultz made a huge profit on the sale of the team. What a way to repay the city that gave Starbucks its start. Apparently, that cut-throat attitude is also reflected in the business practices of his company.

Comment

Funny as I've always looked at Starbucks as the eclectic place to get a cup of joe. I put Macs in the same catagory as I see more macs in a Starbucks than any other laptop.

So to label Starbucks as the Microsoft of coffee seems off balance. I guess with Steve Jobs looking more like a totalitarian villian (Mad TV), I would think an Apple/Starbucks connection would be a better comparison

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              Ahem Paul...real coffee drinkers don't need sugar...
              You're probably right. I was there with a friend who tried to order coffee. I try to stay away from coffee as I hear it will stunt your growth. And I'm holding out for a reeeeaaaally late growth spurt.

When at SB, I'll order a chai latte. Ooh-wee is that thing tasty.

And Apple and Starbucks are partnering, at least in the near future. You will soon be able to walk into a SB, pull out your iPhone and digitally download (at a cost) whatever music you hear playing. Cool idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
                And Apple and Starbucks are partnering, at least in the near future. You will soon be able to walk into a SB, pull out your iPhone and digitally download (at a cost) whatever music you hear playing. Cool idea.

I'd rather get on my iPhone and order a drink. So how do you talk Starbucks? What's a venti? When I go into a SB I just tell them I want a cup of their house blend. They look at me as if I need to tell them more, so I look at them and say, "How much?"

Now does anyone know what brand of coffee Jack in the Box uses?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Now does anyone know what brand of coffee Jack in the Box uses?
                  "Bold Roast" is their own brand - 100% Arabica beans, European roast - unveiled last October.

Comment

I have to admit, the Jack in the Box coffee is a robust and very hearty coffee but not too acidic. It the perfect after dinner coffee to drink.

Comment

Oscar-nominated actor James Cromwell glues hand to Starbucks counter in protest | Honolulu Star-Advertiser (staradvertiser.com)

I thought Stretch Cunningham was about the jokes.

Comment

Working...
                      X